LTD DJ-600 review by ESP

ESP: LTD DJ-600

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I'm the lead guitarist in a metal/metalcore band, so I need a guitar that can wail, and yet still occasionaly lay down cleaner riff. This guitar definately delivers on the tones I need the most. I'm running it through a Crate GT212 (though I'm hoping to upgrade to a Mesa Boogie dual rect soon), a Boss MT-2, Boss NS-2, and my amazing crybaby wah (slash version, didn't get for the name, it has a really bright top end, and I prefer the sweep of it). Normally I would have to tweak a lot of settings to find beautiful tones, but I'm usually pleased with whatever I play on this guitar. It can be occasionally noisy, even with the gate, but that can't be helped as I play in a closed in room, so I'm usually close to my amp. It disappears in normal playing situations. My one disappointment is the clean tone on the guitar. Though this is usually fixed with a slight chorus effect, it is something that is rather disappointing. However that seems to be a problem with almost all emg pickups so I'm able to see past that. I didn't buy the guitar for the clean sounds anyway. However, that is still a slight downfall.

As a metal guitarist, this guitar is more than perfect for me. I've been playing for almost 6 years now, and this guitar performs at levels that some instruments, even higherpriced ones, couldnt even dream of reaching. Most people say that price doesn't matter, as long as it's what you want. And with this guitar, it couldnt be any more true. But, like I said, it isnt for everyone. For me, it beat out higherpriced jacksons, epiphones, and even a Gibson Explorer I was considering. Without a doubt, I'd probably cry if it were stolen. Then I'd probably beat the hell out of whoever was stupid enough to steal it. Regardless, this guitar is irreplacable to me, the EMGs and floyd-rose are worth it regardless. I couldn't ask for a better guitar.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing it live just yet. But this guitar is definately meant for Live playing. The locking tuners hold pitch really well, even with the floyd-rose nuts unlocked. I wouldn't have trusted the original strap buttons, so I upgraded to Dunlop straplocks, but I never trust stock strap buttons anyway, so that's a personal preference. I couldn't gig without a backup guitar however. No matter how reliable this guitar seems, I never go anywhere without a backup, because you never know what could happen, especially with a floyd-rose.

The set up from the factory could not have been better really. The action was set pretty low, as low as possible without buzzing on the frets. It also came to me properly intonated, though I had to set the intonation when I changed to heavier strings. The pickups were also set a bit far from the strings, but that was a quick fix. Other than that, the guitar came to me in perfect condition. It hadn't been pawed over by other lustful players, there were no flaws in the finish, which is very flashy, though some may find it tacky (to each his own). Regardless, ltd took time when setting up this guitar, so I commend them.

For those of you who haven't seen this beautiful guitar just yet, and don't listen to, it is indeed Dan Jacobs' signature guitar. No, I didn't buy it just for his name however, this guitar is just amazing. As for the guitar itself, it is an LTD, which may cause some of you to shy away from it. However, just because it was made in Korea doesn't mean it's a horrible guitar. In fact that couldn't be farther from the truth. While it may just look like your Standard Explorer-style guitar, it shines when you really take the time to appreciate it. The mahogany body provides deep tones with amazing sustain, which makes up for the sustain often missing when using a tremolo-style bridge. The body is complimented with a 3pc, set-thru maple neck, with a thin, easily playable, u-shaped neck. The fingerboard is rosewood, which provides a nice look to the guitar. The inlays aren't too great (pearl-style bats) but the true treat is in the finish (snow white with blood) and the hardware/electronics. The EMG 81/85 active pickup combo is pretty much godlike when it comes to harsher, metal tones. However more on that later. They're controlled by a single volume knob and a Standard three-way pickup selector. One interesting thing is the lack of a tone knob, which is instead replaced with the EMG Afterburner Switch. Don't be fooled, it isn't a distortion pedal. I use it to push longer cable runs thanks to the 20db of boost, but on a clean amp, it can act as a slight overdrive to push the amp into a gritty, crunch sound. Not recommended as a stand alone tone; but the afterburner could also be used to add something extra to another effect to create a nice lead tone. The original floyd-rose, as usual, did not let me down. Neither did the sperzel locking tuners. In fact, even the stock strap holders were quite sterdy, though I installed straplocks the day I got it. The only thing that did let me down was the lack of any accessories. Granted, I did get this guitar cheaper than any other place. Most places charged $1500 for the included case. But by buying the case separately, along with a strap and extra cables, plus new effects, my total still only came up to $1475. So, take that as a lesson, it pays to shop around.

Matmoesa
    seriously guitar snobs need to stop stomping around the forums and hating everything that isn't a Strat or a Lespaul. iv never seen so many minus numbers next to comments that say "i like this guitar" grow up you bunch of tossers and learn to respect peoples opinions. i myself like the look of the traditional Gibson explorers the inverted esp ones just dont work for me.
    trouble37
    J.MitMetallica
    cleft11 wrote: secondly, atreyu are an old band their first ep was released in 1999, and thier first album 2001, 'Suicide Notes & Butterfly Kisses'.
    If you think that's old mate, well....
    Shinozoku
    DimeRazorback wrote: that is the gayest guitar i have ever seen, who the hell is dan jacobs
    lateraluspiral
    trouble37 wrote: friggin elitists always insulting other genres, always saying they listen to "true" metal. Well here's some news for you. YOU'RE SHIT DON'T STINK Your opinion is not some holy friggin message from god so stop shoving it down other people's throats. It's all music. Stop insulting other people's tastes. I happen to like every band you guys have mentioned so far and i want that guitar. But im sick of the stuck up bullshit
    Dont you mean that their shit DOES stink?
    demoniacfashion
    ShaDoW0lf
    Please, can we get back to the topic about the damn GUITAR? So Dan has a sig model. Big Deal. The point is that this oke rates it an awesome guitar, and the pole says its excellent, plus that finish looks wicked (Incase you didn't know, blood spills in ANY art form, not just guitar finishes, has been around LONG before emo existed. Blood finishes does not equal emo, k?) so ye, I want it too. Someone should answer that question about the $400 tho. On a sidenote, its ironic that UG posters bitch more then emo's anyway... shut the hell up, hypocrites, and enjoy the music you like, or delete your accounts rite now and do us all a favor.
    BLOODLETTING
    I love this guitar, looks so sweet, and now that I know it is actually a very good guitar, I WANT ONE.
    cleft11
    ''Dan Jacobs plays for the band Atreyu.I know, a signature model from a guy in such a new band, but personally I like the look of the guitar.'' firstly this guitar is awesome, looks, feel, tone., everything. secondly, atreyu are an old band their first ep was released in 1999, and thier first album 2001, 'Suicide Notes & Butterfly Kisses'. both guitarists have signature ESP models, and the other one is a signature viper series ESP.
    hepzibahbaptist
    For all of you fighting about which band is good and which one is not, beauty is in the eye of beholder. And this is a very nice guitar.
    Psycroptipath
    atreyubfmv123 wrote: Wow. I HAve Alot to Do Here! 1) BrocMiller Quote: what are you? seven years old? and they person that said they are old? ex's and oh's is their worst song anyway. i could teach that song to the seven year old up there...metalgod or whatever... terrible song, not that good of a band either... but hey, maybe its a good guitar Wow BrocMiller, nice comeback. I Bet you couldn't every teach an experirenced guitar player ex's and oh's let alone yourself. Ex's and oh's is one of their best on the new album, and just to let you know if they sucked they wouldn't have over millions of fans. 2)Skull78 Quote: atreyu are emo gargage.... how can their guitarists have signatures....? and for the atreyu loving fags yes i have heard their stuff... come on their singer is the f*cking drummer! get a screamer who can sing i think personally.. correction skull78 their drummer is the back-up singer,and one of the best back-up ive heard and the screamer is the lead vocalist, which is like the best screamer ive ever heard 3)Shinozoku Quote: Dan Jacobs plays for the band Atreyu.I know, a signature model from a guy in such a new band, but personally I like the look of the guitar. Atreyu isn't that new, they're been around 8 years. 4)Dimerazorback Quote: that is the gayest guitar i have ever seen, who the hell is dan jacobs Wow. This guitar is the gayest you've everseen? You must have you're eyes on a piece of S*** First Act Guitar or you've never seen a guitar before. And as Shinozoku said, Dan Jacobs is a guitarist in Arteyu. 5)Chainsx Quote: FUC* ATREYU! Fuc* YOU! 6) BrocMiller Quote: ex's and oh's sounds like a song off of a soundtrack to an 80's snow skiing video! Well you'd know that because thats the only Music you've been ever introduced too. 7) Lazyskaterlump Quote: they are just like avenged sevenfold... just shitty first of all both bands are good, second both bands are different gernes and sound completely different. your so tonedeff that if you wrote a song you couldn't reconize it. 8) Hippieking24 Quote: i'd buy this guitar, but the finish is emo. define emo. Man, thats just insulting, not all emos cut their wrists. 9) NIc The Willy Quote: havent heard em dont care guitar looks ok but blood dripping? plz... emo's just do your thing all over your epi. wow. like i said not all emos cut their wrists, saying that infront of an emo kid would get you a nice new breeze on your body, where youre head was, oh ,wait you dont have a head or a Brain. 10)Unholy_man Quote: ok all u ppl that r ragging on atreyu i got some thing to say GET OUT OF YOUR PARENTS BASEMENT AND TRY TO PLAY MUSIC FOR A LIVING. lets see if you can do half as good as some of the shittest band that get PAID Finally, someone with the same views as me. You Rule. 11)MyIronLung Quote: Is the blood on it because of all the emos slitting their wrists playing it? Who the hell is Dan Jacobs anyways? What a fag. WOw, id like to see you try to even hold a guitar the right way, youd probably shove it up youre big fat A**. not all emos cut wrists.ANd Dan Jacobs is in Atreyu. 12)Cheames Quote: dude, the paint job on that guitar was discovered when that emo mother****er slit his wrists all over it...only a queer would buy that guitar. fact. FAG. not all emos cut wrists and dan jacobs doesnt cut his wrist, especially over a guitar, and only a queer would write what you wrote, wow, no wonder you wrote it. 13) Footballer4050 Quote: fuc' all u faggots that the only thing emo ppl do is cut their wrists ... sry u have no open mind to other ppl u fags ...and as for atreyu and big dan .. both kick ass and fuc' all the haters you rule. 14)Eltonjohn69 Quote: hahaha emo cut himself and made a guitar out of it. nah it looks like someone had their period on this shit. hahah thats one bright red there. blood dont look like that F*** You. If anyone have a period on it, it was you. And blood is on it also because you got that paper cut and cried you're balls off. 15)JAke_wambold_jr. Quote: ok first if your calling yourself an atreyu fan and saying to download ex's and oh's then u should kill urself. A death grip on yesterday was an allright album, their best album so far is the curse followed by suicide notes and butterfly kisses then a death grip on yesterday, then visions. So if ur gonna download anysong it would Right Side of the Bed. I agree that the curse is the best album but ex's and oh's is a pretty good song. 16)CustomCustum Quote: personally Id like to watch an emo bitch cut themselves all up n shit. Personally, id like to see you cut yourself, id laugh while you cry like a baby and call out of your mommy. ABOUT THE GUITAR: This guitar is pretty good. it plays nice and looks okay, but is a little pricey 7 out of 10
    Fuck you really must wanna suck atreyu's Nutsack. The guitar has good specs, But looks like shit. Period.
    atreyubfmv123
    Dallen_007
    demoniacfashion wrote: I personally think the finish is badly painted. I am really conscious of how my guitars look, so i would never buy this guitar. The blood is entirely NOT EVEN CLOSE to realistic(real blood is darker-a lot darker). A very good example of a blood finish can be seen on one of nikki sixx's basses, which is in a real good picture in "bang your head" by david konow. Now about emo. I am extensively aggravated at those persons who even go to the extent of christening themselves as "emo killers" and/or have comitted acts of cruelty to the emos. Hang your heads in shame, emokillers, for you are not far from being emo yourselves. Regarding the well known stereoype of thte emo and his/her cutting of the wrist, it is a very badly based slur. A few people at the very birth of emo cut themselves, and thousands of future emos are cursed to a life of shame and exile.But of course, i am referring to true emos, not those who just pretend, sometimes called posers. I am an emo; not because i cut myself or because i wear tight pants or wear my hair in a certain way, I am emo because I HAVE EMOTIONS. I live every day, suffering and enjoying my robust emotions, because not only am i wired like this, but because i want to fight back, against the pain of life, and against those who inhabit it along witth me, who think i should be a certain way and be just like them, only for the trivial virtue/vice of being socially accepted. With tears in my eyes, i GLADLY pronounce that I AM AN EMO, I AM A REBEL,AND I AM A CHAMPION, and i dont appreciate being judged by the likes of people who dont care about those around them.
    Go You!!! I want this guitar.
    cukd7x-a2-
    I really dont care who dan jacobs is, but hes got really really good taste in guitars!
    MyIronLung
    unholy_man
    HavokStrife
    Ok... this guitar is awesome and I really ****ing want it so bad just plainly because of the blood finish (I personally think Atreyu is a great band but I don't think Dan or Travis are winning any medals for their playing...) and I would own it already if it was a V instead of an EX.. But my question is this.. To anyone who has actually sat down and checked this thing out, is it worth the extra 400 dollars as opposed to just getting a white LTD EX-400? I mean, is there something other than finish, and maybe Floyd Rose that's worth the extra money?
    thrashmetalgod
    stonedkirby
    because a catchy song only takes one listen , but to admire art it takes more than one look , no? not saying atreyu is the shit but theyre doing theyre thing and it works in the eyes of hundreds of thousands of other people , not many of us can say the same ( because what we put out is "art" in our own form ) so dont hate congratulate nigga
    pht
    it defenetly sounds better than it looks, and this looks awesome
    [A]cetate
    well, if you dont cut yourself then how would you have such a good idea of what colour blood is? hmmm? and im not saying being emo is wrong, i dont care if your emo or not, im just sick and ****ing tired of the emos at my school trying to get some ****ing attention
    FourStringFury
    Everyone has emotions. What exactly makes you a "Champion"? Is it the fact that instead of facing the worlds problems you sit there and BITCH about how it's so hard and that nobody understands what you're going through? It seems to emo's like they're the only ones with emotions because other people just DEAL WITH THEIRS. I think a good definition of Emo is people who are too weak minded to properly handle the stress of normal life that they make it out in their minds to be something completely monumental that only they must face. I love the ex shape but the finish is just plain lame.
    custard
    this guitar is like marmite you love or you hate it. lets just leave it at that.
    Metal_Freak2
    the clean problem with emgs is the high output (same for the noise) just back off the volume a bit and it will tighten up
    rossj90
    yeah, i wasnt a huge fan of atreyu untill ozzfest '06, but after that i couldnt get enough. there deffentitly a hit or miss kinda band in wheither you like them or not; you either hate them or love them. if you havent heard them atleast go give them a look.
    Russianthrasher
    cman138 wrote: thrashmetalgod wrote: half of you guys putting down atreyu havent even heard any of there stuff, there actually o.k. i mean , there no metallica but there worth a listen. try downloading ex's and oh's is a pretty good song once u get used to it. Metallica hahaha, They were ok with Cliff but afterwards it's just a long downward spiral. That's why I stick to True Metal.
    Yeah what do you know about true metal
    shecter guy
    I liked the guitar the couple times I got to play it. Love the thin U necks ltd's have, which is why I'm going with that profile on a Gibson style V I'm saving up to have built...I wanna hear Atreyu now haha. Damn you iPod for being broken :/
    deathofagod
    I can only seem to find the V version online... not a big fan of V's... sad times
    breakinslash
    SynysteR7 wrote: cleft11 wrote: yeah i totally agree, and for all you ****ers that say atreyu are shit then you can slice off your grandmothers penis and sell it in an expensive hotdog at the german weiner market, where it will fetch a miserable price and you will be decapitated by the slovakian mafia. ha! You need some serious help. Footballer4050 wrote: hell ya atreyubfmv123 .. u rule ... and that guitar is amazing .. i also what the synster gates one to .. if only i was rich as hell Three things, 1. I have the Synyster Custom, it's very nice, but we're not reviewing that here. Contact me on AIM if you want to ask about it. 2. Atreyubfmv123 had some good insight but let's just review the guitar... 3. This guitar right here I don't personally have and haven't played, but it looks nice. So the paint job isn't great, maybe it's too bright? Paint it darker. It's what, 5 bucks for a can of paint? Less maybe. The EMG 81/85 setup is extremely nice, being very good pickups; The Afterburner is an extra treat. Also the Floyd Rose tremolo is nice, the Syn Custom is equipped with one also. I like Atreyu although I've only heard a few of their songs. They're nowhere near my favorite band though. Dan Jacobs can play pretty well, listen to Bleeding Mascara. He's no Hendrix though, but hell, different genre, times, etc. You can't really compare to him. All in all, this guitar is nice and it really doesn't matter if you like Atreyu or not. If you like the ex body, but you really hate this guitar, buy a different ex, and throw on EMG 81/85 & a Floyd Rose and you'll have this guitar with a different paint job! I would give this guitar a rating, but I would definately have to personally hear it first. Sounds great, but I just got my Syn!
    Lucky bastard
    blackbird51
    You payed practically $1,500 for a made in Korea LTD, how does it feel to be ripped off? I see one on Amazon for $750..
    RetroGunslinger
    Jesus christ....., I seem to have discovered the least intelligent people on earth commenting here, both sides of this arguement are as bad as eachother
    stormtrooper887
    Basti95 wrote: Doesn't look bad IMO, but i should need to see this in person to really say :/
    yeah I was sceptical at first, but when I tried it out it was damn good lol!
    Basti95
    Doesn't look bad IMO, but i should need to see this in person to really say :/
    blakiss
    Im with you dude, your my idol
    HH_Emo_666
    i hate when people come in here and say shit over nothing .. its so stupid .. this is supposed to be a topic over a guitar .. not a person or a band .. anyways .. this guitar is freekin awesome .. i wish i had the money to buy one because everything about it is so sweet
    whocares09
    only True Metal has capitalized first letters... anyways, since this is a review for a guitar and not metallica with and without cliff... im gonna say that i like the sound of this guitar judging by the way it sounds on their recordings, the finish turns me off, but other than that it looks good.
    smabc01
    So, how does the action on this compare to the ec 1000 or the m 1000 if you have played on one of those.
    Mustaines-bitch
    The specs on this guitar are something I love, I currently have an EX-400 but would like it with a Floyd Rose installed. This guitar has that, and a nice reverse headstock and I would buy it if the name wasn't attatched and the paintwork was different. At the moment, if i want this guitar, I'll need to buy it then repaint it, because the finish is trying a bit too hard. Oh and I dont like atreyu either.
    b4mvthrasher
    because someone has cut their wrists it doesn't make them emo. ****. maybe their life actually sucks that bad. believe me. these things can happen. and they will. that said, that is one brutal ****ing guitar.