LTD DV8-R review by ESP

ESP: LTD DV8-R

Purchased from: GAK

Made for metal but could be used for absolutely anything! I play though a POD XTL into a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 with a JCM 900 Lead 1960 cab. It has what I can only describe as perfect tone, its rich, full, bright but not too bright, the tone controll is really effective. This guitar can make any sound you want, perfect crunching distortion tones, beutiful lead tones, great harmonics, pinched harmonics are loud and clear, clean sounds are amazing too, georgeous clean sounds range from Blues to jazz to rock to anything its just so versatile.

I play metal/rock and it is perfect for these styles! I have been playing for about 12 years and I have never come across a guitar that somes close to this one. If it were stolen I would buy another one straight away, hell I might buy another one anyway but in a different color. I love everything about this guitar, the extra jumbo frets make it so easy to play, it is very light and stays in position when you play standing up, the hardware is amazing! The locking bridge gives it unbelievable sustaine and tone and the locking tuners keep it in tune just as good as a floyd would, the tuners are also great because you can change strings really quickly because you only have to turn each tuner once to get to pitch because of the locking mechanism which is great for if you snap a string live. The sound of each pickup is perfect it is really strong and powerful and even though they are passive they easily rival the power of any EMG pickup even the active ones. There's nothing you could add to this guitar to make it better, well maybe a better inlay than dots perhaps but thats just cosmetic.

This guitar is built for live performance and is perfect for it, it's also great for home playing and recording. Hardware seems like it will last forever, strap buttons are very solid, this guitar comes with either normal strap locks or flushmount strap locks, I opted for normal because I don't trust the flushmount design too much. Highly dependable guitar, I would definitly use without backup if I had to. Finish is very good and I can't see it fade at all with lots of playing.

Factory set-up sucked but then again I am a perfectionist, definitly very playable from factory but nowhere near its potential. Pickup adjustment wa near perfect but that's down to personal taste. Finish and hardware are all in perfect condition.

Made in Korea, 24 extra jumbo frets, mahogany body and neck and a rosewood fingerboard with dot inlay and "8 ball" on first fret, Dave Mustaine signature on headstock, metallic silver finish, V shape body, Tonepros locking Tune-O-Matic bridge and string through body, passive Seymour Duncan pickups JB/Jazz set (Mustaine's own combo) 2 volume controls and 1 tone control, sperzel locking tuners.

metalhead_65
    Im buyin of of these so i found this guide really helpful. Itll be a big improvement over my squire strat. I try to play metal on it but it sounds like craaaaap.
    guitarfreak222
    sockboy wrote: punksucks666 wrote: i was told not to put emg's in this guitar, because there might not be enough room in the guita for the battery, and it might not suit the guitars design, and yes i almost have have the money, f**k i wish i was sponsered! Padge fron Bullet for my valentine has emgs in his guitar so its possible.
    I don't think Padge has a Dave Mustaine sig?
    Slovak_Ghost
    Yeah, but guitars that come with active pickups usually have a cavity for a battery routed into the back with a battery clip.
    RenegadeDave
    EMG's are not better unless you're looking for that EMG trademark sound. For everything else the LiveWire DM sigs are better. I REALLY like the tone from the neck pup. I was a big EMG fan, until I got these pickups. The SDs are basicaly JB/Jazz on steroids. My complaint is the pup covers have started to tarnish/corrode. They didn't have a DV-8 for side by side comparison. The sustain on this guitar is massive, in the same ball park as an LP. String Thru-Neck Thru combo is brutal.
    Psycho_McFool
    I've seen this guitar with EMGs, it looks awesome. Friend of mine has one, he brought it in to school one day. He wouldn't let me play it though . Also, Seymour Duncans have ripped off EMG (as such securing EMGs status as the leading guitar pickup). They made an active pickup called the Blackout. Looks exactly like an EMG but has the Seymour Duncan logo xDDDD. Also, I heard somewhere that the LTD DV8R's neck is only about 1-1.5 cm thick. Anyone confirming? From The Guitar Ninja
    T3hShortness
    oh and id rather put emgs in my bass for a les claypool type effect good ol distortion
    T3hShortness
    yeah seymour duncans are good but i like Dimarzio im mostly play metal some blues and classic rock so i need distortion most important OVERDRIVE and a blues tone
    seek_&_destroy
    metallicmonster wrote: is there much diffrence between this and the dv8?
    only difference being the ebony fretboard and the ESP logo. well also the worksmanship i guess... the R is made in korea and the 8 is made in japan
    sockboy
    Padge fron Bullet for my valentine has emgs in his guitar so its possible.
    yeller56
    First guy was wrong, the frets are only jumbo frets. (If that really even makes a diffrence heh)
    [I Buy Peace]
    I've played one of these in a shop and I don't know if anyone else thought this but the guitar is massive. but still an awsome guitar and I'll agree with it being very versetile.
    punksucks666
    im gonna get one, but i'll put an emg 81 in the bridge and an emg 85 in the neck, sound good?
    .:Darkness:.
    semour duncans arnt all bad, sure id rather EMG but semours are great and you dont need a battery.
    .:Darkness:.
    punksucks666
    well i play lots of thrash-hardcore metal, so emg's give me a reali good sound, i will say that seymore duncans sound great clean, but i like the emg tone better whats intonation?
    InuYasha259
    seek_&_destroy
    dude the newer, 06 model has Livewire duncans, which are like emg's but better for cleans, i finally got this guitar, amazing, simply. Course now their's the new deans, but i still think mines better
    Metal_Militia2
    InuYasha259 wrote: .arkness:. wrote: How can you HATE seymour duncan pickups? They are one of, if not THE best non active pick-ups available. I tried this guitar at my local shop and it is massive. The sustain is great and the action seemed great. Only problem was the intonation was a tad off but thats easily fixed. Id rate it a 9.5. Non-active pickups are technically known as passive pickups but yes seymour's rule
    Actually, seymour \duncans can be passive or active, wit the new Dave Mustaine guitars they come wit hcustom active seymours. That is what Darkness may been talking about.