LTD EC-1000 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-1000

Purchased from: Guitar Gallery

Sounds amazing, I play in a progressive/death metal band. Very heavy stuff, a lot of it similar to Children Of Bodom/Opeth/In Flames kind of stuff this hits teh nail on the head, I play through a Marshall half stack and a Crate Blue Voodoo, and in both amps this thing puts out amazing tone. No noisy feedback when you're not playing on the pickups which is awesome, I love the treble on this it's so driving, the bass is very very smooth too, not too raunchy. Tone wise this guitar isn't gonna limit you. Unless you like country or something, I would say this is meant for metal and maybe some borderline cool blues kind of stuff.

For metal/blues kind of stuff this fits like a glove, I've only been playing a couple years, but I know guitars, I know as much as I can absorb about necks, pickups, bridges, routing, and I'll say this if you're looking for something thats a neck-thru kind of thing for easy easy access to the upper frets, where you can practically live, then this probably isn't for you, I would suggest a M-1000 by ESP another amazing guitar, but getting up there on here isn't hard it's just not prone to it, just imagine a 24 fret Gibson Les Paul, with active pickups, locking hardware for 800 bucks, with a carved top. If that sounds appealing to you go buy this sucker. I love the neck on it, the way it feels to play cords and lead on it, the pickups rock the house, it looks sweet, if this thing got stolen id go out and buy another one immediately, if you want something with more reach but the punch of this I would suggest a MH or M series guitar from ESP, I have played heavily on both of them and they have the same bite and more reach, but this has such an amazing body, it's your decision.

I use this and my PRS live, and this is my main guitar. This thing kills anything, my only suggestion would be make sure to check your battery in your active pickups (compartment in back of it so you don't have to muddle with the inside) so it dosen't die on you, active does mean battery operated for those who don't know, but it hasn't died on me, and if you have to change the battery it takes about 3 minutes, I tried it just for security.

Factory setup was perfect, action was perfect, pickup balance to each other level wise was perfect, everything was in order, this guitar was absolutely perfect and new, not 1 single thing wrong with it, hell the GHS strings it came with hadn't even been played, this thing was sweet.

This is a 2004 ESP LTD EC-1000, the LTD Deluxe series, it was made in Korea, not that it matters LTD put out guitars equal to their ESP counterparts for 1/4 of the price. The neck scale is 24.75, 24 frets, pretty thick neck, but not unconformable it feels solid and awesome. Like a Les Paul neck but nicer, also it has a sharper cutaway than a Gibson LP to get to those 2 extra frets easier. As for the finish, the guitar I have is all black, very shiny, with abalone inlayed around the guitar and neck etc. Bosy style by the way is Les Paul style. It has a stop tail bridge, but the real beauty of this guitar lies in its tone, generated by two Active EMG 81 pickups. I could write a novel on these things, they are so clear, and they have so much heavy heavy tone but not muddeled in the least, best pickups I've ever used, and I have by no means a small collection, Fender Strat, PRS Custom 24, and I play this guitar 10 times more than my PRS for instance. Since I got this I hardly pick it up, the tuners are locking sperzels I believe, keep in mind folks, if you get the flame top version of this guitar you'll get dual Duncans instead of EMGs, just a heads up. My guitar did come with a ESP hardshell case. That about wraps it up, the best guitar I've played.

Chrisiphone
    mjones1992 wrote: Chrisiphone wrote: The amount of people calling it an ESP is unreal... Its an LTD!! Its the same company...
    No it isn't, its the same parent company. If your logic is true then my Epiphone is a Gibson.
    Tedward
    man you guys got ripped, why have black when you could have the Green or Blue QM? i mean, im all for sunburst, but you guys gotta see some pics of the green one...
    mjones1992
    Its the same company...
    Corsack
    I've been looking at one of these to replace my guitar. Just wondering for the active humbuckers....It uses 9V batteries right?...Plain ol'conventional 9volts?
    theblackwell
    bustapr
    I actually wished it had a wah wah bar but I think it would look horrible on stage. // 9
    lol
    stoic
    DreadEnds
    Fuck me there was a shit load of reveiews for this guitar. I'm getting one at the start of next month when my paycheck arrives. I have enough for an Esp Eclipse but i just can't justify paying 550 euros more for a name.
    Shredy_Mc_shred
    Meatball200 wrote: Nah Will's right, these things retail for 800 plus in the UK.
    Got mine for 700 in uk. Cool guitar great for the heavy riffs.
    Ibanez187
    xXChimairaXx wrote: Damn this guitar is cool BUT THE ECLIPSE II IS JUST SO MUCH BETTER...if you've got 1500 bucks to blow.
    Well actually if you look at the specs on both of these guitars then they are almost exactly the same except the ec1000 has 24 frets while the eclipse has only 22. Also the ec1000 has the albalone binding while the eclipse doesnt. Although it would look very cool to have esp on the headstock opposed to ltd i still chose the ltd.
    QOTSA40
    just bought this bad boy a week ago, can't put it down, i effing love it. if you're considering this guitar, just do it. you'll love it
    Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
    Schecter is in fact ESPs red headed step child Meaning 90% of Schecter cant compare to this. EMGs make all guitars sound the same for the most part. Play the Amber Sunburst with the JB pickup if you want to hear some tone
    bla556
    the vntage black looks great but ltd falmed tops are simply beyond awesome, so I'd probably go with a flamed maple top
    dontyellmedic
    if anyone wants to buy my vintage black ec 1000 email me! imnot1but2@live.com thanks! im locatedin los angeles
    R0B0_Ninja
    I just got the Vintage Honey burst version yesterday, and it ROCKS! The pickups are amazing! So many harmonics! It's a wonder to play, great feel and access, ingenious body shape and the finish is outright amazing. I tried a Les Paul Studio in the same price range, but this puppy owned it in every respect. I can get a wide range of heavy and blues sounds. What more could you ask fore? ESP/LTD > Gibson
    hatecrewtabber
    I want a double octave for children of bodom solos
    MGuitar24
    Blanco wrote: i might get one in vintage black too but i heard that the finish scratches really easily. has anyone else heard of this?
    Any guitar will scratch without proper care. What you are probably talking about though is that this guitar will show a scratch much more than most. It doesn't have clear coat on the finish. It is a flat black finish and if it gets scratched it will really show. My suggestion is don't decide against this guitar for that reason. It is a good guitar if it has the sound you are looking for. Just take care of it.
    eljordocoyne
    yeh i wanna get this guitar, but i play more styles like rage against the machine, guns n roses, chili peppers would this guitar suit those sorta styles i hear emg and esp guitars are more for metel if not this guitar wat kinda other guitars would be best for those styles thanx everyone pls give us a response
    Mikey p
    getting mine on Tuesday! cant wait! vintage black w/EMGS... mmm tasty
    Ibanez187
    apomon wrote: Damn I cant device between Vintage Black or Sunburst model. This would be my first guitar. And i really dont know which pickup JB/59 or 81/6o would be better for me.. I like heavy stuff like metallica and pantera, but I also like Slash's stuff very much, and jimi hendrix, led zeppelin too.. Which one of the pickups would be better for me? -Apo
    Definately go with the emgs. i tried the sunburst model in the stores and then the emg model the emgs blow the duncans away. EMG's aren't strictly for metal though you can get a good hard rock sound out of them. p.s. i highly recommend going with the green color of the guitar if you go with emgs, mine looks f-ing sick in green.
    Harpotoo
    Bought mine in the see thru Green on Saturday. She's a beaut can't put her down. Unfortunately Wife now talking divorce:
    MGuitar24
    xnirvanax924 wrote: im thinking of gettin one of these in the vintage black color. can anyone tell me if http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/guitars/... /EC1000-VBLK.asp is gonna be a rip off? it has a lower price than all the other sites and oncludes a free hardcase. are they gonna rip me off?
    Dude the esp ec1000 vblk (vintage black) is a really good guitar. It isn't the same as the one reviewed here though. It is really different. It has active emg 81 (B)/ 60 (N). This guitar is absolutely perfect for a good metal sound. If that is not what you are going for than you probably don't want this guitar. Although you posted this comment two years ago so you have probably already made a choice.
    Blanco
    Mikey p
    The only difference is the range of finishes and the fact that it is handmade. The eclipse II only has 22 frets as well. The ec500 and 1000 have 24 frets, so why pay more for something that isnt as good. Unless you value better balancing of the guitar, but is the fact that that its handmade in Japan, rather than machine made in Korea, the deciding issue? I think not. Sorry to get hostile, but really I think that the eclipse IIs price isnt justified. So really its not SO MUCH BETTER rather than six of one and half a dozen of the other. You trade the extra 2 frets and an Earvana nut for handmade quality sorry. Not my thing.
    Mikey p
    Theres actually not much difference between the two. The price difference is partly due to the fact that the ec1000 has a tonepro locking bridge, where as the ec500 has a standard, non fixed bridge. With the locking bridge youll find you will have better tuning stability, but it shouldnt be affected too much. Over a long period of time, the tuning and intonation will go out more noticeably with the ec500. Next is the Grover tuners in the ec500 compared to the Sperzal locking tuners on the ec1000 (not sure if theyve recently changed them to ESP licensed locking tuners). Basically there will be a small difference in tuning stability again - locking tuners lock down the string in the tuning post so there no sting slipping, and so tuning will stay stable for a longer time. On the other hand the grover tuners are just standard tuners, so youll have to wrap the string around (like most guitars) so locking ones are just a bonus. Also theres quicker sting loading with locking ones as you just pull the string through the post and lock it in and tune up. These are the differences and if youre just gunna be practising in your room, and your funds are quite tight youll probably want look at the ec500 in a better light as it is cheaper because of the slightly lower tech hardware. However the ec1000, in my opinion is nicer, because you know you paid for the more expensive, but slightly better model. Depends on whether you want 'ec1000' or 'ec500' model number on the twelfth fret as well! Also theres slight differences in the finishes on the two models. On paper theyre basically the same, but if your funds arent much of an issue, or its for a big birthday present, then just go for the ec1000. (as long as your parents dont mind paying!) Price differences can also vary due to the internet being much cheaper than shops as a general trend. Like RRP in England for the ec1000 is 899. On the internet I found it for 699, from GAK.com. Now you could end up paying that price for the ec500 in a shop, so take that into consideration as well, but make sure the site is legit. Ive seen on websites in the US where the ec1000 is being sold the equivalent of 500 (a proper good deal), but then it depends on where you live as to the postage costs - which could be up to 150 on top of that, or more (im in the uk!). I went for the ec1000 vb mainly due to the fact that it is better hardware-wise, and I liked the vintage black finish on it, which is not available on the ec500. also its for my 18th birthday, so its a big thing! Hope this helps. Cheers
    GoodCharlotte92
    okay so im looking for a new guitar but i dont know if i want the 500 or this one. is it actually worth the extra money to go ahead and buy this model?
    xXChimairaXx
    Joeldix
    Iv had this guitar for around 4 years, its reliable, iv giged with it, just make sure you have a extra battery with you because the pickups are hot and run on battery, when your done playing with it just make sure you unplugg the patch cord, thats when the batteries cut out, I just changed them for the first time 2 months ago, so it lasted over 3 years, not bad at all, but luckly it didnt cut out on stage but in my room while practicing.
    MadDOG4780
    Does Anyone know if the EC-1000 w/duncans has a coil tapping ? Also this will prolly sounds like a dumb question but can anyone tell me why these guitars have two Vol and one Tone control ? cos I dont get it, I thought two Tone and a master Vol made more sense.
    livingdisection
    Fat Charmander wrote: hey guys, i need some help on deciding which guitar to buy.... im tossing u between the hellraiser c-1 FR or the ec-1000.... i predominantely play metal and hardcore, like parkway drive that kind of stuff so any POV or help would be awesome =)
    Personally, the EMG 60 in the neck is the downfall of this guitar, but if you get it with the Duncan JB/'59 set, its unstoppable(mine has JB/Jazz). The schecter sounds amazing with the stock pup's, and it will be easier to play clean fast riffs, as the strings are slightly farther apart and the fretboard has a larger radius. If you dont plan on using frets 22-24, the EC would be my favorite.
    rv_phoenix
    stoic wrote: theblackwell wrote: Sorry, but for the reviewer who rated this guitar all 10's, you need to go back and do it again. Unless a guitar is like 3 grand or higher, it doesn't get a perfect 10. Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing guitar, I own one myself, but it doesn't get a perfect 10. More along the lines of an 8.5 or 9. That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read about a guitar review. Just because something is overpriced doesn't make it good. I've played $600 guitars that have blown the doors off of $3000 Gibsons and PRS models. The quality of the build and materials are what matter. Or, to simplify things to you with an analogy (look it up) - spending $2 million dollars on a ball of dryer lint doesn't make it the world's greatest ball of dryer lint. It makes you an idiot.
    The curious thing is both of you are right. Theblackwell is right about this guitar. It certainly is a great guitar, but it's not a perfect one, as we can see from the posts of the other reviewers. He is also true that usually no guitar is this price range is better than those in the upper ranges. But you're also right. There aren't two identical guitars. A guitar at 600 euros can be better in all respects than a fancy 3 grant axe. I've had this experience many many times in my life. Try, for instance, Fret-King's Esprit V Blue Label, at 800 euros, against any Gibson Explorer, including the 7-8000 euros 1958 Korina Explorer, and you'll instantly notice, in the first 30 seconds of playing, the Fret-King is light-years above Gibson. But that's an exception, not the rule.
    Vypor
    I played one these at the store, it was gonna be this guitar or the Epiphone Prophecy EX. I really liked this one but the reason I didn't pick it out was becuase it was very uncofmortable sitting down. Something different about the way its shaped, its just no fun. I really like the flat black with yellow binding, a yellow batman vynil on this guitar would be FITTING.
    stoic
    GASBOY
    nice reviews on the EC-1000. I dont't really mind 10's 9's and even
    kevinmahoney95
    I had this guitar a while ago. I was too stupid to realize that its great. haha. i had the action set way too high, i ****ed up one of the tuners, and i killed the battery cuz i left it plugged in, and i thought it was something wrong with the guitar. and now i want another one
    spinpogi
    Up : Those who were claiming that this gear is fit for METAL,I salute you coz its true. Accessible up to the last fret. Down: Those were claiming that this gear is fit for Blues/Jazz, F**K U.Indeed its a Gibson LP Shape but not the TONE. Sound in only good when using distortion & never with clean..
    MANNN
    i was able to buy this guitar at the beginning of this month with my tax return. i paid 800.00 through the musicians friend website. worth every penny! love this guitar