LTD EC-1000 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-1000

Purchased from: Moore Music, Evansville, IN

I play mostly punk, metal, and hard rock, and this guitar is great for all three. The sustain is infinite, and I can get about any tone I want out of this guitar. With the tone knob rolled off and the neck pickup on, I can get that great Slash tone, but with the tone full on with the JB, it can rip some awesome rock rhythms, as well as insane leads. The cleans are amazing as well, very full sounding. I'm running the guitar dry, except for my Crybaby from Hell, into a relatively shitty amp, and it still sounds great. I've played it through a 6505+ and the tone was orgasmic.

Again, I play anywhere from metal, to punk, to hard rock, and this guitar can cover all three easily. I've been playing for over four years, and I've owned Fender and Epiphone guitars, and currently own an Ibanez JEM7DBK (not made anymore.) I knew exactly what I was looking for when I bought this guitar: I wanted something versatile. I do like EMGs, but after I threw a JB in my JEM, I knew that was my tone, so I had to get the LTD with Duncans. If this guitar was lost or stolen, I'd probably buy another one, but I might try out some other stuff (maybe a Viper). My favorite feature of this guitar is the toggle Switch and two volume knobs. I can turn the neck volume off and use the toggle as a kill switch and it sounds awesome. Overall, it's an amazing guitar, and I don't regret buying it.

I haven't had a chance to use this guitar Live, but I'm sure it would be fine. The hardware is extremely high quality stuff I'd have to pay $200 at least to get installed into another stock guitar. The stock strap buttons seemed alright, but I replaced them anyway with a black DiMarzio cliplock strap system, just because that's my preferred strap. The guitar is solid, and I've heard nothing but great things about ESP guitars, so I'm sure this will last a while, as well as be dependable.

Where to begin? The guitar was set up great! The action was low, but without fret buzz, the pick up heights were right where they should be. As far as the finish, it looks just as good (if not better) than any Gibson I've seen. The abalone purfiling really makes the guitar stand out, and the matching headstock is the icing on the cake. No flaws whatsoever.

This is a 2007 LTD EC-1000 Deluxe in the antique sunburst (ASB) finish. Made in Korea, it allows high quality components to be used, and only costs the fraction of an ESP's price. The guitar features 24 Xtra Jumbo frets on a set 3-piece mahogany neck (rosewood fingerboard) with abalone purfling and white binding (goes around the entire guitar). The body is mahogany with a flamed maple top that looks amazing, and a headstock that matches. The ASB model has the Seymour Duncan JB/'59 pickups, while the others (except for the VHB) have the EMG 81/60 pickups. There are two volume knobs and one master tone, with a three way toggle. Since my models is a 2007, it features the new Schaller locking tuners instead of the Sperzel's featured on earlier models. There is an Earvana compensated nut which helps improve intonation, and from what I can tell, it works. Finally, the bridge is a Tone Pro's T3B-T & T1Z Locking Bridge that helps to provide extra sustain. I rate this guitar at a 9, simply because the features are great, but it would have been cool if I could have gotten an included case instead of having to pay extra.