LTD EC-1000 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-1000

Price paid: € 969

Purchased from: ProMusicTools

I play a lot of metalcore, post-hardcore such as Avenged Sevenfold, Misfits, Haste the day as well as rock and some blues and the LTD does it all with ease. This guitar was made for shredding metal but it can also handle pretty much any gerne. The EMGs are awesome but quite a little bit noisy, yet very versatile thus you'll be able to pull of metal, Switch the pickup and play rock in a matter of seconds. Some may prefer passives but I'm pretty amazed by the EMGs. I play it through a solid stage Orange amp with some pedals and it sounds quite good, but I've also played the LTD through a Bogner berschall and other tube amps and it sounded perfect! It has an agressive, metal-ish tone especially in Drop-C but with the right settings and less gain you can play anything with it.

For Metalcore or any other type of metal, whether it be heavy stuff like pantera, or more modern metal like a7x or Trivium, this guitar is perfect for it! But with the right amp and settings you'll be likely able to play anything with it. It has tons of gain and just plays wonderfully, the fretboard is smooth and bending feels so easy, the neck feels awesome and the guitar just looks beautiful! I'm pretty happy with it and unless you hate the abalone binding (some people do) then you won't regret it, for that price. Otherwise go with the EC-500 which has pretty much the same features except the binding and Schaller tuners. Out of all guitars I've played (Gibson Les Paul, Schecters, Deans) I like this one the most and for that price (I think it costs about $600 in the US) it is unbeatable. Everyone Who has played my LTD EC-1000 was amazed by how nice it feels and how it looks. Plug it into a decent amp and you'll be blown away. I can't say anything bad about it beside the guitar being a little too heavy, but it doesn't bother me. This won't get stolen as I protect it more than my eyeballs:P but if it were stolen or lost I'd get it again, maybe in See Thru Black Cherry or another color but I'd definately get an LTD again. Pretty ipressive!

I'd say the guitar will definately withstand Live playing as everything seems built to last, no moving parts or anything. The only thing I worry about it the neck, as it seems to thin but I doubt it will break unless you want it too. I've noticed some color changes on the bridge and tail, but that probably comes from resting my hand on it while palm mutting, and I've had it for a year so I think it's normal. The strap buttons seem pretty durable and I haven't dropped my guitar yet (be sure you use a good strap). The Glossy Black scratches pretty fast but every guitar does that and unless you have the matte black version, you won't see any finish wear.

My LTD is Glossy Black with abalone binding all over the body, neck and headstock and it looks stunning! The action was a bit high but you can lower it by yourself easily by adjusting the screws in the bridge. The pickups are also adjustable which doesn't take long, but they were setup perfectly so I didn't have to change the height. What I like most is the neck since it is pretty thin and non sticky which is perfect for fast solos and it feels really nice. For this price it was setup very well without any major flaws aside from some scratches in the binding but you won't see it unless you get really close. The LTD feels really comfortable, it is not too heavy, not too light and has rounded edges on the back so you won't Hurt your ribs while sitting and playing. What more could you ask for?

My LTD EC-1000 is a 2007 model made in Korea in Glossy Black. It has 24 jumbo frets and a 24, 75" scale. The neck is pretty thin and non sticky, thus perfect for fast solos and any type of riff that requires fast movement along the neck. The LTD has abalone binding all over which looks awesome especially when exposed to bright light. The body is mahogany which gives the guitar a dark-ish sound but doesn't fail to deliver the brightness for bluesier tones. The Fretboard is rosewood and feels nice, but keep in mind that it needs lemon oil once in a while since it dries out pretty fast. The fretboard is really dark, at least on mine, almost as dark as maple, but I've seen some brighter fretboards on some EC-1000s. Could be either brighter wood or just hasn't been oiled for some time. The LTD features a TonePros Tune-O-Matic bridge and Schaller Tuners, so you don't need to tune every time you pick up the guitar. 3way Switch toggle and vol vol tone knobs. It features EMG 81 and EMG 60 pickups which are very versatile, but they're active so they're a little bit noisy.