LTD EC-1000 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-1000

Price paid: € 650

Purchased from: Muusikoiden.net

The EC-1000 has active EMG 81/60 pickups, so the sound is as great as the guitar itself. My previous guitar had the EMG 81/85s so I definitely wanted EMGs also for my next guitar. I love the sound of these pickups, as it's extremely clear and brutal at the same time. If you use lots of heavy palm muting like me, you'll love active pickups - trust me. And if you hate noisy passives (at least the cheaper ones), have no fear - EMGs have pretty much no noise at all, not even at high gain levels. I'm using this guitar with my Vox VT50, Boss MT2 and Marshall JH-1. The neck pickup (60) has a nice bluesy sound and it is very good for cleans. The bridge pickup (81) on the other hand is the one you want to use for harmonics and palm muting.

This IS my dream guitar. Fixed bridge, active EMGs, great shape and finish, thin and well-balanced neck, great sound - what more can you wish for? I was switching my Epiphone SG for this, since it was too neck heavy. It was definitely worth it and I will keep this guitar for a long time. If it was stolen or lost, I'd get it again in a heartbeat. The other guitars I was considering were Schecter's C-1 Hellraiser, C-1 Blackjack, Devil Custom and also one original Gibson. However, the EC-1000 convinced me with the active pickups, ultra-thin neck, excellent balance (it's not heavy from the neck and neither from the body) and light weight. It was a choice well made.

I'd definitely play with this guitar live. It looks and sounds great, has high-quality hardware and there is no FR-type of tremolo to fail you if a string breaks. My EC-1000 has no scratches so far, even though I'm not even the first owner. Time will show how it will last.

Since my EC-1000 was adjusted by the previous user, I can't say anything about the factory setup. Mine already had the action set low and the truss rod properly set. The finish seems perfect to me, nothing to complain here. I also have to mention how well balanced this guitar is. You could place it without the strap on your knee and it won't fall either way.

I bought my EC-1000 Deluxe VB (Vintage Black) as used and with the original ESP hard case & strap + golden Schaller strap locks. It was built in 2006 in Korea and it has 24 frets, 24.75" scale, mahogany body, 3-piece set mahogany neck with ebony fretboard, Tone Pros T3B-T/T1Z locking bridge, active EMG 81 & 60 pickups and a 1 toggle switch. There are separate tone knobs for both pickups, but the volume for them is controlled with the same knob. This guitar looks astonishing - the golden hardware on the Les Paul-shaped non-shiny black paint looks great and it is one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen, not to mention owned.