LTD EC-1000 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-1000

Purchased from: Rimmers music - Blackburn

This guitar suits The Music style I play in my band to perfection. I play metal in my band and this guitar achieves all that it needs to and more within this, it also sounds good for blues etc as the tone of the guitar gives a great effect even on clean. I currently use a Marshall AVT-150 head and cab, and I can get a great sound from this with this guitar easily, really meaty distortion sound. Sometimes use effects such as whammy and wah also, copes well. The guitar is not noisy at all when not being played, and if you want you are able to turn one of the volume nobs down, and use the pickup selector as a kill-switch to eliminate all noise. However I would say that you have to be quite an experienced player to handle the EMGs as they are very sensitive, so Precision is important, but if that is there, a flawless sound is achieved. Also the guitar can handle being tuned down without a problem, I usually use drop C though I have used B in the past and it was fine.

The overall impression is that it is a fantastic guitar which looks great, and easily rivals the Les Paul, which it is obviously modelled on in many aspects. It beats it on pickups, the locking tuners, the weight and the finish I'd say, and for metal, I'd say due to these, this guitar wins hands down. I'd definately buy this one again if it were lost or stolen, I love it. I saw this guitar in the shop having looked around for ages and knew I had to have it straight away.

Definately withstands Live playing, played Live with it countless times and no problems. The strap on this guitar has never fallen off during a song. I can definately depend on this guitar without a backup, though I take one anyway, in case I snap a string so that I can have a quick changeover. The finish is top quality. It wears down in places and gives shiny bits around the guitar, which I think looks great, it looks better the longer I keep it.

With the guitar being on display in the shop, I was able to try it out and get anything I wasn't happy with sorted there and then. There wasn't much however as the action was great and the feel and finish of the guitar fantastic. I did get the pickups adjusted for a higher output, but thats it. all nuts were tightened well, and have remained as such to date, 2 years down the line.

Feature wise on this guitar, I could not ask for more. With a mahogany body, set neck and a rosewood fretboard, this guitar feels beautiful to play. This guitar is also light, which is a great bonus, and an advantage over the Gibson Les Paul which is extremely heavy. The Standard pickups are also fantastic as they are EMG active pickups. 24 frets is also good, even if you don't use the 24th fret because it allows easier access to the higher frets, though the cutaway is also fantastic at doing this job, since the 24th fret is easily reachable. The locking tuners are also handy since the strings don't slip out of tune as quickly, also winding the strings when restringing is not important, as the locks hold the strings in place and in tune anyway. Lovely finish also, I've got the matt black with gold hardware. Great guitar.