LTD EC-2005 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-2005

Purchased from: SamAsh.com

The EMG 81/60 set up allows you to range from a variety of sounds. Flip the switch up and you get a nice rhythm sound, flip it down and it gives you a crisp sound that's awesome for leads. I'm not particularly fond of how it sounds clean, but hey, I don't think that was what it was built for. In any case, it loses a few points for having a relatively weak clean sound, the Gibson Les Paul Special gave me great clean sounds. I use this thing with a Boss Turbo Distortion. I really love the sound I get from the 60 with the turbo switch on, so crisp and crunchy. I'd suggest it for heavier rock (some Foo Fighters maybe), metal if you're into it (Metallica sounds great on this thing).

I have always liked the crunchier stronger sounding guitar with distortion and this is exactly what it offers me. I had been considering a fat Strat for the longest time because of its humbucker but that thing just isn't crunchy enough. I wish it came with a case though, considering the fact that it is $500+ I'd assume that would qualify for a complimentary case, but no luck. It truely does everything I need it to, and in its shortcomings (the clean) I use an acoustic. I kind of want a pickguard on it, but that's kind of my own les paul fetish. This guy was considered with a Fender Fat Strat, an Ibanez RG, and a Gibson Les Paul, but after careful consideration, I went with this one. I dont think you can buy it from a store though, and I dont even know if it's in production anymore. Check Sam Ash and Musicians Friend to see if they offer it, if not the EC-500 has taken its place.

This thing can take a beating, I knock it against something almost everytime I play but there are few if any noticeable damages. I have one white speck from hitting it against my desk, barely noticeable. The pickups will not fail you. It's the least you can expect from EMGs. The strap buttons are very solid, I've had the guitar for several months and haven't had to tighten the screws. I would confidently use it in a gig without a backup, there really is no need for one.

The action out of the box was far too low, I got a lot of string buzz, which is quite annoying, but the bridge allows easy raising of the action, so its just a 15 minute fix. The pickups, however, were very well placed. Other than the action, everything else was perfect. The switch isn't loose, firmly clicks when you switch it, just a great job with the fitting.

This particular guitar was made in Korea. Obviously made in 2005. It has 24 frets on an ebony fretboard which has the special 30th Anniversary inlay on the 12th fret. The body and neck is mahogany. The finish is a nice black satin, which is oh so smooth. Comes with a Tune-O-Matic bridge with string through body. It also comes with EMG 81/60 active pickups for a great range of sound. Has one volume knob, one tone knob and a 3-way toggle switch. Comes with Grover tuners which I like very much, makes it very easy to tune, not that you have to do it much with these badboys. It also comes with an Earvana compensated nut. You get great features for the price.

DanHyatt
    I just bought a ESP LTD and Iam finding it a bastard to tune! Has any one got any tips????
    drawde4
    nice guy! what ESP LTD wouldn't want a bastard to tune every now and then?
    meta1militia
    kill emall wrote: ESP is the best you can get!!
    KaiserX
    meta1militia wrote: you obviously know nothing about guitars. esp has great hardware for the price, but poor quality of craftsmanship and most woods. Why do you think other guitars cost more with the same hardware? Its because ESP has low quality builds. good hardware, though
    Technically, the LTD has a lower standard of quality, but an actual ESP? ESPs cost as much as high end Gibsons or Fenders. LTD is the offbrand of ESP. It's like buying an epiphone. you expect less for a cost reduction. Which is why i enumerate the shortcomings. The wood is pretty much the same as anything else though, another factor into why a guitar costs so much is name. Gibson costs a lot because it's legendary, not because it's actually that much better than everything else. For everyone else. the toggle switch kinda sinks in yea, but not that much. and yea, the 21 and 22 frets are a lil harder to reach. oh, and i guarantee that the real thing looks just like it does in the picture.
    dr_92
    ec_andrew wrote: i think this guitar is better than the ec-500
    how can it be better than the ec-500 they are exactly the same besides the model name at 12th fret
    Sabbec
    I own this along side a schecter avenger, '54 american strat, '81 ibanez ar100,esp v250 and previously a gibson SG standard. This axe so far has superior action and the smoothest play along with the best tone of all those listed. The workmanship is incredible.
    masterscarecrow
    I own one aswell as the viper-2005 and gibson gothic II les paul and explorer, this is my go to guitar ... it has ebony fret board which is much more then the ec-400 or ec-500 as well as the rest of the ec line up.
    fas789
    My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do, Cloud68dotcom
    KaiserX
    GuitarManiac09
    KaiserX wrote: haha the deluxe is a tier up on the price category. and rainingblood, whats "something original"? just wondering, not challenging you. it has a satin finish on a eclipse body, only the Gibson Gothic Les Paul offers something similar, otherwise its quite unique. (the Gibson gothic is discontinued btw)
    dang rainingblood, you just got owned.
    Dyaxe666
    Ov3rDriv3 wrote: I own this guitar adnd while it is an awesome guitar tone and playability wise, the problem I have is that the tuneomatic bridge isn't the best quality and will cause your thicker strings to pop long before your thinner ones do. Weird eh?
    i used to have that on my SG, it's becuase you have a bur ont eh sadle in ru bridge, take a very very thin file and every so gently rub it in the sadle crease. thats will solve ur think sting popping problem
    Ov3rDriv3
    choii
    i like the les paul style body, with the black satin finish, looks nice, bet it plays like butter too =)
    el-chupracobra wrote: ill just stick to my ibanez's and dean's, never really like esp's
    your opinion
    DaBlackE
    I prefer my EC-400 and I've noticed that guitars with finishes like that tend to get dinged & damaged easier. Still a good guitar but the EC-400 is better.
    wambulance
    its a les paul imitations and the image looks like a 3d image it doesnt look real. but anyway it looks hard to reach the high frets
    greenmeat
    hay i think this guitar is killer but the ec-400 is better and nicer then the ec-500 and if you wanna get even better go for the ex-400 so killer i got the ec-400 and the ex-400 and the ex sounds much better then the ec