LTD EC-400 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-400

Price paid: € 230

Purchased from: Private seller

2005. Korean made mahogany body and neck. Rosewood fretboard with 24 jumbo frets, 24.75" (Gibson) scale, pearloid inlays, active EMG 81/60 set (old Hetfield set), TOM bridge with stoptail, head and neck binding. Vol/vol/tone pots + 3 way switch. Grover tuners. Pretty standard LP rip-off without the four potentiometers in the main cavity. People stay away from this guitar by thinking that this is a bad instrument for not having an archtop body. This isn't a Chinese made instrument, nor a Indian made one, or an Indonesian one. This is an old school Korean made one.

As metal as it gets without the new price of a 401. And without Indonesian factory stamped on its head. My Peavey 5150 stays strong with an Ibanez TBX150H that won't die + a Jet City JCA22H and a H&K Tubemeister 18. Marshall 412, Randall 412 and a Harley Benton 112 cab. Lots of Boss pedals + various and handmade ones. This guitar was bought to be paired with my Viper-2005 because it was made on the same month of the same year hence the same materials and hands. Viper rips and I wasn't wrong with this one.

This guitar came without strings and its bridge. Cracked paintjob on headstock and body. 8 years old. This is normal, people. Every instrument I buy needs to have a setup, so I did it. Paintjob suffers from being held against the wall or belt buckles. However, frets were worn down. Someone's first guitar just came to my cum/booger incrusted fingers, and I needed to clear history. Changed them, and now it plays like a fiddle. 7 is for the fact that my Viper didn't have it as rough. I know how this instrument can look like and I abused that fact. EC couldn't hold it.

Never went without a backup for this one. It is heavy, it is hard, it seems sturdy.. BUT. Won't chance it. Frets needed to be changed as opposed to a Viper-2005 that's a couple of months older. Neck stayed in place and the nut didn't wear off. Paintjob on the bridge stayed on, so I can say it handles sweating palms. Couple of tours couldn't fuck it up. Never broke a string on it, but always had a backup, so I can say that it's reliable, but WHAT GUITAR IS RELIABLE? High end guitars always fail, what can I write on a reasonably priced one?

This guitar was made for metal. Some type of Rammstein/Metallica crossover guitar and it shows. 2005 wasn't so long ago - when I was a college kid having bands and drinking and having sex with girls only by playing in a band. This one maintained it's composure and a role of being a metal Hetfield guitar for less than 300 euros. Mahogany EMG-loaded body with a straight mahogany neck with a heel ended with Grover machine heads. Usually it costs at least 500 euros, and most of us can have it for around half of it's original price.