LTD EC-401VF review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-401VF

Purchased from: www.akustikken.dk

This guitar is completely perfect for my music style - I mostly play stuff like Guns N' Roses, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin - you get the idea. The guitar is great for such music, if you add some gain, switch to the neck pickup and turn the tone off, you'll get a great GN'R lead tone, really similar to Slash's tone from November Rain or Knockin' on Heavens Door. If you switch to the bridge pickup and turn the tone on, you'll have a really nice, aggressive lead tone. The neck pickup has really great clean tones also. So, all in all, this is a really versatile guitar, you can play anything from blues to heavy metal. I don't quite think that it's suited for death metal and really heavy stuff like that though.

I love the sound of this guitar, and pretty much everything else as well. The only thing I dislike is the fact that it's an LTD, if something else was written on the headstock, I wouldn't ever dream of playing any other guitar. I know that it's kind of weird, but that's how I feel, for some reason. All in all, this is a great guitar, especially for good old rock! You get a really lovely blues-rock rhythm sound from the neck pickup, which I adore. I wouldn't buy the guitar again if it was stolen, but that's because I'm quite poor haha. I've been playing for a little less than a year, and I play many hours a day, so this guitar is my workhorse. I recommend this to anyone who isn't rich, but loves the Les Paul shape and the sound of a real Les Paul.

It's definitely a solid guitar, it's fairly heavy like most Les Pauls, which I really like. I'd have no problem gigging with it with no backup. The finish seems a little thin to me, but I've only had it for a couple of months, so I'm not quite sure if it's going to wear off - which I wouldn't have a problem with, anyway. I recently bought some strap locks, as I had a couple of close calls with the strap falling off the strap button, I definitely recommend doing that, especially if you're going to play live.

It was all good, except for the pickup selector, it goes kind of loose sometimes. Also, I had some fret buzz on some open strings, which is fixed now. Other than that, it's all fine, the action isn't super low, not too high either - it's just fine. The finish is a Tobacco Sunburst, and it's my favourite = awesome.

My 401VF was made in Indonesia, I have no idea which year it's from though. It's my first electric guitar, and I've had it for a couple of months now - it's really an amazing guitar, especially considering the price. I find the neck more comfortable than Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul necks, it has another, more asymmetrical, smooth feel to it, which I prefer. It has two volume controls and one tone, instead of the usual Gibson-ish 2 of both - which doesn't really bother me. It has two Seymour Duncan pickups - a '59 in the neck position and a JB in the bridge. I won't bother going through other facts, the other reviews have already covered them.