LTD EC-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-50

Purchased from: Sam Ash

The sound and versatility of this sound is amazing. Through tone, and pickup controls, you can easily find your sound, in both the lead and rhythm genres. Because of the shape and the fretboard material, your fingers and scorch the frets, with speed and easy positioning. With my sound, (being that I'm a 13-year old Lead guitarist) as I mentioned before, about the Fretboard and Positioning, the guitar supports me greatly through versatility. If you played on a guitar, other than the EC-50, then played on the EC-50, you'd quickly notice how much easier it is to burn scales from the 1st to 24th frets.

Like I said before, I'm a 13-year old lead guitarist. It's always a joy, with this guitar, with a variety of effects to cover stuff by Metallica and Van Halen. It's even a blast to cover songs by Rage Against The Machine, with this thing. Right now, I've been playing for about a year and a half, and this guitar has been playing, as a perfect starting guitar, for almost that long, also, withstanding my crazy, metalhead ways, through constant thrashings and drop-downs. The two most outstanding attributes of this guitar are its versatility, and its low cost of about 200$. Like before, I do wish that it had a couple of EMG active pickups and a floyd rose bridge. Rock n' roll baby!

I'm sure, that this guitar can handle everything but straight up demolition. Honestly, I've dropped this guitar about 10 times, from heights at least 4 feet. There are no insanely noticable scars in it, even to this day, either. If you take care of the guitar (not like I did, please), by polishing and wiping it clean, after every session of play, it'll surely stay in good shape. If you do use it on a gig, though, and you think you've overused it, to push it into the "worn" level, bring a backup.

This guitar was put together in a Bolt-On fashion. Of course, with all ESP-LTD guitars, you have that nifty little model number at the 12th fret. With the pickups, there is one pickup positioned at the Neck and another at the Bridge. With the tuning pegs, they're convinent little shape ensures comfortability while turning, but they tend to get knocked out of tune, if you play guitar like a maniac.

I bought my EC-50 for 300$, a year ago, but now, you can get it for around 200$, which is a very affordable price, for a guitar. On the 24.75 inch scale neck, there are 24 Extra Jumbo frets, along the Rosewood fretboard. Those body and neckwoods are made of Basswood, assembled in a bolt-on fashion. On the Esclipse-shaped body, you've got two, passive LTD-Humbucker pickups, controled through a 3 way Switch, just above the pickup-side of the neck. There are 3 knobs: 2 Volume controls and one tone control. On the headstock, there are Standard LTD tuners. When I purchased this guitar, I recieved 1 cable. Still, I would've really appreciated this guitar is it had a Floyd Rose bridge and a couple of EMG Active pickups.

tamer of horses
    guitarboy112392 wrote: i bought the lefty version and id still recommend it to anyone
    why would the lefty be any different?
    awie666
    i just bought the guitar and i love it man, although it is cheap but very nice to play, now planning to change the pickup to EMG or Duncan.
    MaAal_MaAan
    Aren't these reveiws generally rated by value/quality for the price that was paid for them?? Of course ur not gunna get that Les Paul sound outta it, but ur not gotta pay that much for it. I myself have an ESP LTD F-50 and are very happy with it for its price. Sure, it's not the best guitar, but great for any beginner.
    stoneducky
    I gotta say the same. Guitar's great for the price and and great for beginners. The knobs are terrible but hey...not a huge problem
    peter deep
    hey, i am thinking of buiyng this guitar, it would be my first guitar...do u think is good for a first one? i play most red hot, metallica, led zeppelin, system of a down.
    ThatWouldBeJon
    i just got this guitar, all over the things great except the fact the color (tobacco sunburst) looked nothing like the picture and was a real dissapointment
    xBENx
    HEY IS THIS GUITAR GOOD FOR LIKE HARDCORE,METALCORE,DEATHCORE? STUFF LIKE THAT?
    metalbaswee
    [x]Huffy[x] wrote: Muppet wrote: How can this guitar get 9/10 in sound? Does it sound as good as a Gibson Les Paul? I think not! No use of bad reviews! Gibson is not the be-all end-all of guitars. Also, I have this guitar and I love it. I just wish it was a set neck.
    actually. its 9/10 because it sounds really good for the price. and it's about what a person like's
    7stringkiller
    I bought one of these a while ago and out of the box it sounded just fine, nut I picked up a set of Invaders and after an hour it totally transformed this axe into a monster with the sound I desired.
    [x]Huffy[x]
    Slaytanic1993
    forwhomthebells : Nice but is this guitar good for blues? Because i am thinkning about getting this guitar?
    yes, the neck pickup is immense for blues and the bridge is definitely not very good for blues (it's like an EMG sooo....yeah).
    Talented
    I have this guitar as well it is an amazing guitar and would recommend it to anyone. Everone who reviewed these guitars are 100% accurate in what they are saying, listen to them!!!
    beeboshain
    alex6661 wrote: first of all tun-o-matic bridges suck 2nd of all esp is awesome but that guitar is a piece of shit!
    how do tune-o-matic bridge sucks, im not a fan of gibsons myself but they are good guitars, so your saying gibson bridges are shit? and this guitars amazing i bought it really for the bridge cause i wanted a fixed bridge, but i am gettin new pick-ups for it, bare knuckle nail bombs
    clodzilla319
    I must agree With the Excellent reviews of this guitar! it's one of 5 in my little collection, And I always find myself picking this one up. Its really comfortable to play and the pickups aren't half bad. For $200 its a steal for a very well made guitar, I bought it with the intention of re-placing most everything on it , but haven't cuz it DOES sound pretty good!
    tamer of horses
    tamer of horses wrote: I think im gonna get this guitar.
    I did buy this guitar. And i love it. beautiful sound. AMAZING for its price.
    NirvanaFan101
    Awh man that would be so wicked with EMG pickups on it lol *drools*.. it sounds like a pretty cool guitar i might go check it out.
    Meatbag
    a great deal for a first guitar
    exactly. i have it too, that's my thoughts.
    ESPM200
    Tell you the truth this guitar is great for the price but it is just an avrage guitar the pickups have enough power to do stuff but I put zakk Wylde emgs in this baby and it is awsome another thing the fretboard is a little small but an awsome deal for the price
    alex6661
    benage
    Yes you can fit EMG's into this guitar without any extra routing. I had an EMG-81 and 60 in this not long after I first bought it, the battery sits fine in the control cavity. I wouldn't recommend spending lots on EMG's in this guitar, I found them to be too muddy, not sure if its the body wood or what. The Gibson 490/498's I replaced them with sound much better
    xbenjiboyx
    has anyone tested the white version... Is it matte och glossy? And how is the neck, glossy or matt?
    signal_fire
    @xbenjiboyx don't know about the white finish, but i think theyre all glossy. I've had this guitar for a few years. With some tweaking, and 10-52 strings, it feels great. Just throw in some new pickups (Dimarzio's all the way) and you got yourself a keeper.
    Aadieu
    aildjacksback
    could you put emg in it with out routing the back could you just stick the battery in the back where the controls are?
    Aadieu
    PS if you have $200-400, do yourself a favour and get a private seller's used guitar made by somewhere decent (America, Japan... even Mexico or high-end Korean stuff, at least). Don't go for this Made in China/India/Indonesia crap.
    Efikur
    Got mine from Thomann. Strings were a bit too low but its playable and will adjust them later. Sound is great - ec-50 sounds warmer compared to my previous squier start of same price and the HUM is GONE (HumBuckers do it!). Loving it. Keeps tuning no matter how hard I pound on it. Any kind of riffs blast you away.
    happlin2314
    It's really a GREAT beginers guitar, but when you get better you are going to have to buy a better guitar! But it is an AMAZING BEGGINNERS guitar!! (it was my first one)
    Vypor
    I find myself really attracted to this guitar, I almost bought one instead of my Epiphone Prophecy. This guitar played and sounded nice, but what led me away from it in the end was how uncomfortable it was to play sitting down.
    Shiverize
    I bought this guitar recently and I must say that I am really pleased with it. Haven't played much guitars, but I totally dig the action and the sound on this one. For this price range it kicks some serious ass.
    Mahabajaba
    Aadieu wrote: OMG who's ripping you guys off so hard??? For $300-400, you should be getting LTDs 1000series. And yes, the higher the number, the better the model, that's how ESP-LTD's numbering works people!
    It's possible that it was in Australian dollars (haven't read the reviews). As a EC-50 in Australia is $600 full retail. Anyways, this was my very first guitar, it is damn good for a beginner's guitar.
    dragonkidkoga
    cameron_dumper wrote: How good is the upper fret access btw?
    i tend to like bolt-ons (but most purists don't) cuz i can put my thumb on the bolt plate so there's higher access when in set necks i have to shove my thumb back 3 cm
    dragonkidkoga
    guitarnoob0808 wrote: This or yamaha pacifica 112j?
    this one has higher fret access, just replace pickups
    Billy12359
    I have my own copy of this awesome electric guitar. I think it sounds way awesome and it's really good on rock songs like We'll Be A Deram. I know it's a metal guitar but I love to play other music on it. By far this guitar is awesome.
    djmalone
    Hey all! quick quesiton is this guitar a good mid range guitar to play live as well as just jamming. If not can someone recommend one, looking for one thats great to just jam with as well as play live when gigging. Reason i ask is have a change to buy this guitar with a Crate flexwave 120 amp for $360CAD but see i would rather pay more for a better investment. Let me know, cheers and oh the style i play is rock, indie and metal.
    nirvanapwns
    cjelliott wrote: what kind of wood is that guitar made of and where is the jack on ?
    the body is made of agathis
    kanarf
    good guitar for its price. after a year i quickly upgradded to a sg though