LTD EC-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-50

Purchased from: GAK.com

I play a whole mix of styles, but I usually end up playing metal by the end of playing, and I have to say it sounds great with distortion. I use a Jim Dunlop crybaby and a DigiTech Death Metal pedal with it, into a Fender Princeton 65Watt amp. It sounds really professional, and when it is rigged up with a bass amp aswell, the pickups give a lot of beef. The humbuckers aren't muddy though, they are very bright, unless its playing low notes with the neck pickup. I often use chorus and reverb with my playing, but without it sounds just as good - just different. When the guitar is used clean it can have quite a bright snap to it in the bridge position, but if used with the neck pickuo as well, or on its own it has a beautiful warmth to it.

This guitar can play almost any style of music, though only hard rock and metal can do it the justice it deserves. I've been plaing a year and a half, and my first axe was a Squier Strat that my brother used to use, and the ESP LTD EC-50 is nthe first guitar I have bought myself, And I'm glad I did. If it was stolen I would first get the sod that nicked it, and I fi couldn't find him, I would most probably buy the guitar again. If I didn't I would definitely buy another ESP LTD. I have always like the Les Paul shape, and this guitar gives me that, plus the extra two frets, the extraordinary colour, and the contour of the body much like a Strat. All I wish it would have is possibly two tones rather than one, and a locking trem - it would be the ultimate guitar!

I have used the guitar live before, and was commented not not only on how good it looks, but also the professional sound of it. I did not need a back up, and the only reason I think I ever would, is if I needed a guiatr with a trem or different tuning. The guitar is built like a brick, and after playing for hours on end every day, the strap buttons have not loosened once. The finish is very thick, and with the abuse it has put up with on some occasions, it should look like puff pastry, but there are no chips in the paint whatsoever.

The guitar came out of the box near perfect with everything setup nice, but the pickup selector was missing it's plastic top, but that didn't matter too much, because it only cost 50p to replace. The action is nice and low, and the pickups are also low enough so there is no buzzing at all. The fret wire is kind of high, and after having a Strat that has exceedingly low fretwire, it took a while to get used to it, but now that I have it is easier to play, because I do not have to push the strings so hard on the neck to gat a sustaining note. All I have changed is the way the guitar is strung. Because the brige is raised by 2mm, I put the strings through backwards and loop the over the top to make them less likely to snap, and it is easier on your hand for palm mutes.

The LTD EC-50 is a solid body guitar with a shape very close to that of the Les Paul, but with a contour on the back of the body and on the bottom cutaway. The rear of the guitar is also slightly contoured to stop your arms getting the ridges you get from Epiphone's and Gibsons etc. The body is made from basswood, and the neck is bolt on basswood with a dark rosewood fretboard. The neck is not the thinnest in the world, but still easy to play, and it is painted the same as the guitar. The naeck scale is 24.75", and the frets are more medium-jumbo, not jumbo as some stores say. The bridge is a fixed Tune-O-Matic and there are two humbuckers in neck and bridge position. There are two volume knobs, and one tone, and a three way selector at the top of the guitar. The colour of my guitar is titanium, and due to it's metallic finish it looks great on stage under lights. The guitar did not come with any accessories and the tuners are ESP. The guitar is made in Indonesia.