LTD EC-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-50

Purchased from: Guitar Gallery

This guitar suits my preferred music well. I play blues, punk, metal, a little jazz, and some oldies rock. I can also usually get it to spurt out some Hendrix, if I adjust the tones right. I play thru a Peavey Classic sometimes, and all other times I play on a little Peavey Backstage. I use a Danelectro Metal distorion pedal which, combined with those humbuckers, makes for a great jam. When I turn the guitar up really loud on my Backstage, I get a little buzz, but I think that comes from the amp, so yeah. Each of the pickup selections has its own distinct sound (as it should), making it possible to play from death metal to country (if you're in that kind of thing).

Like I said, from '60s rock to metal, Jimi to Dime, The Doors to Megadeth, this guitar will keep you rocking. I would definitely buy this cheaply priced, masterfully made guitar again if it were stolen. The only thing I wish that I'd asked is if I could smack the guy at Guitar Gallery with it to pay him back for his crappy service, and to really test the guitar's durability. I do wish that it had a pickguard, but then, it still does not have any pick scratches yet, so maybe it's all good. This here, folks, is an excellent guitar.

I have played this guitar live, without a backup, for the past year, and I haven't had to take it to the shop yet. There isn't a scratch on it, as far as I can tell. You could get locking straps, but the strap buttons already on it, combined with an at least okay strap, will do pretty much the same. I am actually hoping that this guitar will last long enough to look like it has been well broken in, to the point that wood is showing through the paint, but it seems like the time that I will have to wait for the paint to wear off will be awhile.

This guitar was pretty much perfectly set up in the factory. I haven't found any flaws in it yet, and I've had it for about a year. The pickups were adjusted just fine, and everything else so far has been dandy.

This baby is a solid-body guitar with 24 jumbo frets (I personally think they are a little smaller than jumbo, but that's me). It's very close to a Les Paul, but is pretty obviously not. It does not have a pick guard, which sucks, but it does have a Tune-O-Matic bridge (I like these). It features two standard ESP pickups, which live up to the ESP name easily. EMG's would be better, but then, those are the best hummies in the world. I bought this guitar from the Guitar Gallery, and they didn't give me squat. They pretty much just sold me the guitar and told me to go away, so I wasn't happy at first, but when I played thru these pickups, I was in heaven (then again, it was an upgrade from a Squier Strat). The ESP LTD EC-50 has three knobs - 2 for volume, one for tone. Where you have the 3-way pickup selector determines which volume control you use. So, this Indonesian guitar has some perty nice features, as you can well see.