LTD EC-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-50

Purchased from: Steve's Music (Toronto)

I don't have too much experience with the sound of electric guitars, but I'm extremely pleased with the sound. I play metal, punk, and starting on blues. Was told that ESP is much more of a metal sounding guitar. And I really think that's true! The settings work very well. On a Fender Twin-Reverb amp the sound was just awasome! My Gibson owning friend was impressed (not that that matters).

I'm still learning the guitar and this is my very first electric. I tried one cheap electric before this, and that was just terrible (I gave it back in one day). The difference was amazing with the EC-50! Such clean sound and very smooth (even with my 10w Marshall). With the twin-reverb it was beyond anything I've heard! The feel and weight is really nice. The construction could be a little better. There is no pick-guard and you could see some imperfections around the end of the neck. But all in all, for my very first electric guitar, this will serve me well for a long time. Until I get my Les Paul anyways.

I've never played live, so I have no idea if this will hold up. But, why wouldn't it? The hardware seems stready, and every thing seems to be bolted on well. It comes with a life-time warranty, so I'm thinking that's a good thing in terms of longivity. I think a pick guard would've helped, but having said that it does have the clean, sleek look without the pick guard (which I love).

The set-up seemed to be pretty good. As far as I can tell, the construction is holding up well. In terms of 'flaws' I think the end of the neck could be made better. It might've been just mine, but you could see lack of paint which makes it look cheap, but only if you're a freak like me would you notice that! Other wise, everything is good.

The guitar was made in Indonesia and most likely construct this year. 24 frets, with a thin neck (which has a good feel to it). The fret board is rosewood (I was thinking this is a good thing, but I heard otherwise). A nice black cherry colour to it with a nice clear satin finsih. Tune-O-Matic bridge. 3 controls, volumes and tone. The ESP LH-100 pickups (so far so good). The guitar didn't come with anything but then again, if it did I would think twice before buying. Those guitar bundles are crap!