LTD EC-50 review by ESP

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
ESP: LTD EC-50

Purchased from: Poppler's Music

I'm not the most diverse player out there, I stick to mainly rock and metal, but I believe that if you have good tone, you'll sound good with any genre. The pickups on this guitar are so-so, they do have some nice cleans and some tone variation between the neck and bridge position despite the fact that they're essentially the same pups. There isn't any hum to them but tone-wise, they're obviously lacking. I play through an Ibanez TBX 65r and a Boss ME-70, this guitar handles distortion well for stock pups, but you'd be able to swap for a better after-market pup set anytime. TOM bridge gives great sustain to your notes.

This is a pretty Standard beginner level guitar. If you're looking for a cheap guitar to hotrod, or just starting out, this would be the one for you. As mentioned above, some upgrades to look into would be new pickups, straplocks, and maybe some locking tuners. If it were lost or stolen, I would replace it or even upgrade to a better model. I had compared this to similar priced squire models and naturally you can get more for your money with an ltd than a squire. I wish the guitar came with 24 frets and maybe a tremolo system but that's personal preference.

This guitar can withstand live playing, but it goes without saying that not bringing a backup guitar is foolish as you never know what can go wrong. I would recommend putting straplocks on this guitar before trying live playing as a general smart idea to do. One of the buttons is situated awkwardly, and if you're moving around, it could have the strap unattach itself from the button. The buttons are solid though. The finish is nice and it should withstand many years of use, all kind of depending on how abusive you are to it. The tuners hold their tuning well but if you do extreme bending, it will knock the tuning out a little bit.

When I bought this guitar, the action was fine. I brought it home and due to humidity changes and a six hour Drive without a case (the store didn't have a case on hand), I had some dead notes on the first 3 frets but a quick visit to a guitar tech fixed that. Other than that blemish, you have typical ESP quality workmanship. The guitar itself is damn sexy in my opinion, it'll definately attract looks by shape alone.

This guitar was made in indonesia, I couldn't find a year to reference but I'd assume it would be a 2009 model as I purchased it last year. The features are: bolt-on neck 24.75" scale 22XJ frets basswood body maple neck, thin U contour rosewood fretboard esp non-locking tuners esp lh-150 humbuckers (neck and bridge position) TOM bridge with tailpiece 3 way pickup selector 1 tone, 1 volume 42mm nut chrome hardware black or silver finish