LTD EC-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-50

Price paid: A$ 469

Purchased from: BMJ Music (Hornsby AUS)

I looked at the EC-50, the EC-100QM and a Michael Kelly. I thought the EC-50 was the better sound I was looking for. I was looking for something punchier than my pimped Squier Strat with Wilkinson pick-ups. I'm really pleased with the sound. The neck pick-up good for rhythm (think Highway to Hell AC DC) and the bridge for lead or rhythm/lead (think I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man and My Sharona). I'd heard ESP was for metal & punk & the like yeah yeah, well this guitar will play anything - R & B, blues, rock especially. Do what I do and tweak the amp and pedals. You might have guessed I play blues and rock and don't play thrash! Sounds good on a Roland Cube 30, better on a Randall RG40R and better again on a Tech21 Trademark 60 (wish I could afford it). Good clean sounds on both pick-ups and punchy. And also good when using overdrive or distortion pedals. Did I say I'm impressed?

This is my 3rd electric and been playing for 4 years now. I wish now I had bought the EC-50 rather than the Squier Tele (I'd still keep the Squier Strat though). This guitar just has a great feel. Not worried about a lack of pick guard either as I don't want to ruin a good looking guitar.

Will this guitar be reliable and durable? Hard to say after 2 days of ownership but I'm just left with the feeling this guitar is solid. All the controls were OK and everything seemed well put together (unlike the Squier Strat but now fixed). It comes with a lifetime warranty. The guys from BMJ, Brian and Julian, were really helpful, explained the controls and so on and they put up with me trying this guitar out on different amplifiers over a couple of weeks. So I'd take the guitar back there if I had a problem. So 10 for BMJ and 8 for LTD/ESP

Set-up was good. I tweaked the bridge to lower the E and A strings but the high E end was OK. So the action was good from factory. Construction? Well I've had the EC-50 for 2 days so maybe in a years time I'll know for sure. But I've been over it and all the screws are in, there was nothing loose and nothing to criticise. Even the intonation was spot on. So for first impressions I'd say great. I see on an earlier review there was a comment on the lack of paint on the neck. I see nothing like that on mine, so mine is flawless

Made in Indonesia probably in 2010. Thin neck, 24 frets and Rosewood fret board (I like)& basswood body. Off white colour for body and neck. Spotless gloss(?) finish. Tune-O-Matic bridge and 2 volume and 1 tone control. 3 way Switch for neck, neck/bridge and bridge, & ESP LH-150 pickups. Nothing else with the package, so I think you get what you pay for i.e. the money has put into the guitar and not the packaging.