LTD EC-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EC-50

Price paid: A$ 400

Purchased from: Musos Stuff

I play Punk, Metal, and Ska. So I needed an outstanding crunchy tone but also something that sounds good on clean. And it definately works. I thought it had EMGs at first and was a bit dissapointed to find it had ESPs. But when I compared them to my friends EMGs, they sounded so much better! They work so well and I haven't had to raise or lower them, they're just great. I use a Peavey audition (Small but powerful) that gives a good overdrive. It's clear when you play it with distortion or anything, that it gives an impression that you're not messing around. When it comes to squeals and harmonics it's not too good, but still worth while.

It suits what I play perfectly, how it sounds and how it looks. I own a lil cheap Monterey which I've had for ages, and it held up alright for a while but this just kicks it's ass. If someone took it, I would either hunt them down or go ahead and but a Dean or a Jackson. I find Dean to be the best guitars out there, then you've got Jackson then ESP. But that's me. It's perfect for mixed styles, but the tuners just don't hold up as much as you'd need them to. I had a choice between this and a Jackson JS1 Dinky. I got this cos it was cheaper, slightly. But I ended up getting the Jackson as well. Compared to the Jackson pickups the ESP ones arn't as good but they still do their job. Overall I'm glad I got it. And you've got to admit, it does look 10 times better then the EC-1000. It's a Les Paul, with a metal look.

I've played with it Live once and it played great the whole time, it has great sex appeal haha. I thought it crapped out on me, but I realised I just stood on my lead and it fell out. The strap buttons are great, I haven't replaced them once. They keep the strap on no matter what really. It's very realiable in any situation, and cos it's bolt on it can be fixed easier, if you enjoy smashing it that is.

It was set up really well, and as above, the pickups were perfect. Everything was fitted pretty perfectly too. The only things I found were a crack in the neck and the nut was off center. Aside from that nothing was wrong with it. Personally I think it looks so much better than the EC-1000.

I've got no idea where it was made or when, the shop just wanted to get rid of it because they stopped selling ESP. It's got 24 jumbo frets that feel great to play on. The neck itself runs smooth but the gloss on it gets sticky. The pearl inlays look great. It was a bit weird to find it was bolt on cos it was a les paul. It's got an olympic white finish that goes for any style. A nice T-O-M bridge, 3 knobs (2 Vol, 1 Tone) and a 3 way toggle Switch. It has Standard ESP tuners which are horrible, pretty much the only bad thing. And 2 ESP humbuckers which really put out.