LTD EC-CZ-II review by ESP

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 8
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reliability & Durability: 8
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 7
  • Features: 7
  • Reviewer's score: 7.6 Good
  • Users' score: 8.7 (114 votes)
ESP: LTD EC-CZ-II
1

Price paid: $ 799.99

Purchased from: Guitar Center

Sound — 8
I play metal, blues, punk, ska, and classic rock. This guitar fits all well, even though it may not look it for some instances. The pickups will give you the crunch you need for metal\rock, or the clean\crisp tone for the blues. I play mainly through a Vox practice amp, which limits a lot of the ability. However, when plugged straight through a Marshall Half-Stack, this guitar will hang up there with most PRS, but for half the price. You will get a slight hum if you dime out all settings, but that is pretty common in my experience with active pickups.

Overall Impression — 8
Overall I would give the guitar an 8 for the price, and functionality of it. As I said, it will hang with the best, in my opinion. If it were lost\stolen\broke, I would do everything I could to find another, but this is a limited run, so it would prove to be difficult. It stays in tune at all times, and sounds great. The only thing I would have liked on here would be a "duller" tune-o-matic so I don't have to replace the strings every week. As a guitarist who plays about 6 hours a day, this is the best one I have picked up from ESP.

Reliability & Durability — 8
I have personally gigged with this guitar, and it will definitely withhold playing live, as I said before though, have strings handy. The sharp edge may just be on my guitar however. I am a firm believer that you should always have a back up guitar, just in case, but this one would be able to hang with the rest. As far as the finish, I play with heave picks, and there is no pick guard on here, and I cannot even see a scratch anywhere here. So seems great.

Action, Fit & Finish — 7
This guitar came close to perfect from the factory. Didn't have to change a thing. The action was just above buzz, the pickups sound great (as long as they are not dimed). Only complaint I have on this guitar it the tune-o-matic bridge. The edges on mine are insanely sharp, and when playing power chords to heavy, your string can slip ever so slightly and break on the edge. Other than that, all is well here.

Features — 7
This is an ESP Zombie Clockwork limited edition guitar. I have had this guitar for about 2 years now, and after playing it on a daily basis have decided to finally write a review of it. Mahogany body, with an awesome graphic on it. As the title suggests, it is the appearance of the inner workings of a clock, with a skull sitting at the bridge. The neck is straight through, which gives the guitar GREAT sustain. Grover tuners here, nothing really special, just the reliability you get from a Grover. Active dual EMG pickups with a three way selector, 2 volume knobs and one tone. 24 Jumbo frets with the Standard "flag" inlays seen on guitars such as J.H Truckster. Tune-O-Matic Bridge with aged look on it.

20 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Its the Kyle
    Cause metal isnt good music? I play everything from blues and jazz to heavy-thrash and progressive (and everything imbetween, so i think i have fair room to talk), and ESP's work fine, mine works great actually. And its only a $250 Korean ESP-LTD F-50. 1) dont be calling ESP's shit 2) dont say metal isnt good music Yes i realize you say "generic" but "generic" can sound just fine, dipshit. Back in the 70's n 80's, rock was considered "generic" cause everyone was in a rock band. Now everyone's in a metal outfit. So by your logic, "generic rock" should be shit too. A lot of which is pretty badass.
    Ebeli
    "However, when plugged straight through a Marshall Half-Stack, this guitar will hang up there with most PRS" >EMG's >as good as a PRS AHAHAHAHA... Fucking wow. Good luck with that.
    r6413utah
    I have number 36 in excellent condition with matching soft shell case. what do you think a good used price that I should ask. I did the setup and like it almost as much as my 74lp, I say almost. I would rather have a Marshall 2204/2203 head "even a plexi hand wired kit.
    Karan1best
    A nice guitar for the price. You are paying more for the graphics than the guitar here, obv. 8 marks are justified for it.
    Its the Kyle
    Never said i was amazing. You're just twisting words. I said the ESP plays jazz fine...but i play jazz on my Les Paul during shows. Just casue it plays fine doesnt mean i always use it. Now take your thumb out of your ass and acting like some higher-born douchebag music-nazi.
    Ebeli
    I'm not gonna argue music tastes with a simpleton. You probably think you're amazing but you aren't playing jazz with an esp.
    Ebeli
    >Thinks Ibanez is shit >would rather play a terrible ESP I guess a guitar like this is perfect if all you play is generic shit metal, but once you start playing good music, your tone will just embarrass you more than it already does.
    Chris_32746
    Ebeli wrote: "However, when plugged straight through a Marshall Half-Stack, this guitar will hang up there with most PRS" >EMG's >as good as a PRS AHAHAHAHA... Fucking wow. Good luck with that.
    Have you played it? No? Then why make a negative comment? Don't knock what you haven't tried.
    Chris_32746
    That's good. This coming from a guy with a shitty Ibenez. And for you to say it looks like shit as well and all emg's sound like shit proved your ignorance.
    guitarguyryan94
    prepostrophy wrote: it is impossible for emgs to sound like that. they are strictly for heavy distortion and you would be lucky to get an actually good clean tone out of them. i'm not saying its impossible to get a nice clean tone, but you would definately need an emg 85 for cleans.
    Okay, you kind of got that backwards lol. EMGs have one of the best clean tones out there and there's no competition for that. The distortion however is ehhh, nothing too special. I guess if you like a compressed and void of all personality kind of tone then go for EMG distortion; otherwise, I'll stick with my passives for a great distorted tone.
    IYanoplathizoI
    it is impossible for emgs to sound like that. they are strictly for heavy distortion and you would be lucky to get an actually good clean tone out of them. i'm not saying its impossible to get a nice clean tone, but you would definately need an emg 85 for cleans.
    Actually EMG 60s are the norm for good EMG cleans. ALso, they can sound very good, especially with the 18volt mod.
    GS LEAD 5
    Why do I have the feeling that Marshall half stack is an MG? Notice he didnt name it....
    Chris_32746
    Because 7.6 is a good rating for a guitar. If every one gave a 10 there would be no point for a review. A 7-8 is a great guitar. I've played many guitars in my time and have yet to find a "perfect 10". But, that's my opinion on it. You are entitled to yours. I just would prefer honest/logical reviews other than biased ones. Just my 2 cents.
    TheBlackening91
    prepostrophy wrote: it is impossible for emgs to sound like that. they are strictly for heavy distortion and you would be lucky to get an actually good clean tone out of them. i'm not saying its impossible to get a nice clean tone, but you would definately need an emg 85 for cleans.
    You can EQ EMG's to make them sound like pretty much anything
    tume wrote: why to give 7.6 for a guitar you have nothing to complain about?
    To be honest I'd rather a 7.6 for a great guitar than another 10
    tume
    why to give 7.6 for a guitar you have nothing to complain about?
    prepostrophy
    it is impossible for emgs to sound like that. they are strictly for heavy distortion and you would be lucky to get an actually good clean tone out of them. i'm not saying its impossible to get a nice clean tone, but you would definately need an emg 85 for cleans.
    Ebeli
    Chris_32746 wrote: Have you played it? No? Then why make a negative comment? Don't knock what you haven't tried.
    Actually, I tried one out of pure humor value alone. It sounded exactly like it looked. (Like every other guitar with EMG's in it) Shit. But I suppose you cant help it. It's not like you can actually hear anything when the gain and treble are on 10. Have fun with your Mud, bro.