LTD EX-260 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EX-260

Purchased from: Woodwind and Brasswind

I play thrash, death, and progressive metal, so I figured this guitar would be perfect. It is. I run it through a small 15 watt practice amp and a DigiTech Metal Master. The lead tones and the tone out of the treble pickup is amazing. It's great. The lower tones and rhythm pickup lack a lot of chunk and powerful bass that I get out of my other guitar. Palm mutes on the lower strings lack the chug that I'm looking for, but it's useable. Don't let that keep you from this guitar. The clean tone is adequate, but it lacks alot of ring, but it has a great sound nonetheless. I give it an 8 mostly for the lead tone which is, as I said, incredible.

This guitar is a great match for anyone Who plays metal. It might also be suitable for various types of hardcore and such. I've been playing for 5 years now, and this is only my second guitar. I would not recommend this guitar for beginners. If it were stolen/lost, I would definately buy this guitar again. It has a unique look that can be matched and being an ESP it is of great quality. If you're thinking about buying it, chances are you should.

This thing was built to last. I've already bumped it a few times and the finish stays on without a scratch. The hardware is solid and I don't worry about it. Aside from breaking strings due to vigorous playing, I wouldn't stress over it.

When I got the guitar, the action was a little low, but nothing that couldn't be changed. The finish was perfect, and all the hardware was in mint condition. The rhythm pickup is a little tall, so I'm going to see if I can lower that. It's also very close to the bridge, making it impossible to palm mute and play directly over the rhythm pickup at the same time, but this isn't much of a problem. So other than the action and the one pickup perfect.

This Explorer model has an agathis body and a three piece maple fingerboard with a set-neck construction. The fingerboard is made of rosewood and has 22 extra jumbo frets. The inlays are standard pearl dots with the exception of the 12th fret which has the model name. The pickups are two EMG-ESP LH-300s which are located at the neck and bridge. It has a tune-o-matic bridge and no locking tuners. All the hardware on the guitar is black. It looks great with the black finish. It has two knobs, master volume and master tone, as well as a three way toggle. For the price I paid, I wouldn't expect any other features on this guitar. I give it a 9 because I think the pickups could have been nicer and I would have liked locking tuners.

MrChris
    kirkshred
    probably one of the best esps out there for shape and sound so all you would argue are just dumb
    freakzila85
    alex_crawford
    MrChris wrote: this guitar is terrible, my friend bout one and he ended up selling it like 3 months after. the bridge was messed up, he detested the pickups, one of the straplocks broke off he had to superglue it back. he had the ex-50 by the way. but i dont think it would be much difference Well my friends brother's monkey's uncle says you really have a squire and that you are being a troll
    DIMEBAGLIVEDON
    Why is half the reviews playing through a ****ing Marshall MG. For **** sakes get a good amp.
    guitarfreak222
    This wood is way better than basswood...
    guitarfreak222
    I got mine today and I really didn't like the EMG's and so i traded the pickups with my friend's ESP Stock pickups and they were much better in my opinion.
    Jumbaliah4ESP
    This seems to be the best guitar in its price range im pretty sure this will be my next guitar
    -AnzzA-
    I like this guitar really much, bought one for 417 last week. The pickups are quite good but if you've got the money, I'd recommend going for the higher end models. I'd say that it's a pretty good guitar. A good rythm guitar and shredding with this is easy. I think it's pretty good for it's price. But to anyone thinking about buying one of these, go try it at the local shop first.
    Yoyo Of Death
    Kiran Warren wrote: i was gonna get this guitar but in Australia they were selling it to me for $1100
    i got mine in australia for $649 so im feeling very happy face right now
    Maldihr
    freakzila85 wrote: guitarjared wrote: This guitar blows, what are you people on? Agathis is one of the cheapest woods out there, next to low end basswood and low end alder. Save up your money and get a higher end LTD EX model, one with mahogany and active EMGs. Ya have you even picked up and played the guitar. I cant stand people who wont pickup a guitar because they dont like the type of wood
    I know -.-
    Maldihr
    thrash-til-deth wrote: I CAN ONLY AFFORD THE EX-260 MODEL DO YOU THINK I SHOULD SAVE UP FOR THE EX-400? IS IT WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY?
    I think you should do that
    thrash-til-deth
    Maldihr
    I love to play Metal, so I think this guitar will be perfect for me. I have played 1 year with a Stratocaster, but it is almost impossible to play any heavy riffs with it Is tapping and advanced soloing possible with EX-260?
    DeadSoloist
    Ali-b912 : .:LoCo:. wrote: im sure James Hetfield uses one...? Hetfield uses an ESP i believe. i cant imagine him being too happy with being given an LTD. You have no idea how much that made me laugh, the main guitar model james hetfield uses are ESP EX he has 3 and they're the main main model he uses.He has a white explorer, black explorer and a diamond plated one. Its true that he has a truckster signature but after the Death Magnetic tour he stopped using it. He's back to good old papa het (the white explorer)
    Tyler Durden
    just got mine yesterday and i love it, gives me something different from my 2 Les Pauls. Doesn't weight that much, try a LP on your back for 2 hours!! For the price this kills - I know many overlook anything under the 400 series, but this really is a nice axe - get one!
    fenderbender_1
    honestly though although agathis is a cheap wood it does a good job of imitating the sound of mahogany. The only problem is it weighs a tonne.
    Ali-b912
    .:LoCo:. wrote: im sure James Hetfield uses one...?
    welshy120 wrote: how much is the ex-400 aud?
    its $1359 at bmusic.com.au. they are an Aussie ESP dealer. dunno if they have storefronts or whatever but thats the online price.
    blaze2thekings
    i think if your interested in this guitar then just go for the ex-400 mahogany and active pups
    guitarfreak222
    Bad luck mate.. I live in australia too and i went to this shop called music express and they marked it down from 1099 to 822.
    Andy413
    The Best Guitar i ever bought i got it as damaged good and my friend at the music store gave me a discount for the terrible pick ups on it. $140!!! its in almost mint condition plays like a dream and i got it for a steal! (my friend said it was about $500 when it was first bought so i got a steal )
    =MetaL=FanatiC=
    Does it annoy anyone else that some people writing reviews insist on saying "If this guitar was stolen...blah blah"? You're meant to be reviewing the guitar for gods sake, we dont give a shit how you would react if some ghetto **** stole it.
    guitarherojosh wrote: i do not like this guitar fender tele custom is better!!!!!
    You dont see your friend driving a lamborgini and tell him its a pile of steaming excretement just because you drive a suzuki now do you? Tis only a matter of opinion.
    Its the Kyle
    NoiseMaker97
    wurzel1981 wrote: i thought hetfiled used a gibson. but true, he does use an esp. though he used to use the old esp explorer design, not this new one. and now he has his own signature esp which isn't explorer shaped at all. its one of those les paul shaped one that i can't remember what they're called its called a truckster and loks pretty rubbish, as the aging or artificial wearing looks waay obvious. It probably sounds really good and a joy to play but in my opinion its gotta look quite good as well.
    He also uses his sig. ESP Snakebyte, sexy guitar. It is sorta a cross-breed of an Ibanez Iceman and an Explorer..
    saint_berzerker
    Dark_Iran wrote: ESP Brand is very very NUMBER 1 QUILITY ESP IS VERY BETTER THAN ibanez and washburun and fernandes
    Maybe the higher end esp's/ltd's are good. The low end stuff is pure garbage.
    Cannibal Koala
    Porque?
    Megalomaniac46
    I have to agree with the group that says save the extra money and get the mahogany and active pickups; It will be well worth it. I had an EC-400 (EMG 81/60s) and the tone was unbelievable.
    rv_phoenix
    Its the Kyle wrote: rv_phoenix wrote: This is only a cheap Korean copy of a more prestigious Gibson design. Perfect for those trying to look like guitar players, without actually being such players. Cause playing a body-look-a-like automatically means you're not a guitarist? Yeah totally, that makes a lot of sense,cause were all rich bastards and can afford $1500+ original name-sake guitars that cant play worth a darn unless you get it set up just right.
    Dear fellow, I'm afraid you missed the point. I'm not a rich bastard and, in fact, it took me ten years to reach to a guitar line-up which suits my needs, after modding two average-priced Yamahas and buying another average-priced Vintage. I don't have a problem with cheap guitars: they sell well, hence they exist, whether we like it or not. But rating them aginst real guitars shows a serious lack of musical sense. LTDs aren't the worse cheap guitars, quite the opposite. IMHO, they rank among the best. But if you assign them an 8,9 overall, how much would you rate an ESP? Not to mention the original Gibson Explorer. In case you're not aware of the fact, you don't pay only for the make when you buy a Gibson. You also pay for a guitar without ANY fret-buzz, for instance, because Gibson has invested some 20 mil in a unique laser machine for levelling the frets. You also pay for the best wood in the world, carefully dried and cured in months, maybe years, in the best facilities available on Earth. And so on. We have to appreciate the skills of those people who make a 200 euros guitar sound decently. But we also musn't forget that real guitars are a different breed. That's all. Sorry for being so harsh: reality isn't a fantasy.
    Headbanger_1
    had mine for a year now. still sounds amazing. its definately my favorite of my 4 guitars. My only sad spot on it is the small dent from where my stupid drummer knocked a mic stand into it.
    knownasceejay
    It's not often that you find someone do a review that owns a highly praised amp, such as a Diezel. The reviewers tend to have practice amps, usually lower than 30 watts. Interesting eh?
    rv_phoenix
    3DG-lespaul
    used to enjoy this guitar but now i can't stand ESPs and am a fully fledged Epiphone user and wanting to buy an Explorer and may potentially invest in an 8 string guitar from Schecter
    arthurt420
    i own one as my backup guitar... and for what i need it is ok at best... the only way to make this thing a great guitar is by changing all the hardware... that being said you would save money if you just bought the ex 400.... and through a good amp not a 15watt or a mg this guitar sucks.
    nda228
    also as for the save up and get the ex-400 comments. 1) stop complaining about weight, it gives you a good workout. its no heavier than my custom gibson. and B) honestly if you want emg actives, dragonfire just as good as job of making actives as emg, if not better. and its about 1/3 of the price. dont believe me. look up emg 81 85 vs. dragonfire 81 85 on youtube
    nda228
    i painted mine white, and put in dragonfire active pickups!!! Sounds better and looks just like the esp explorer james hetfield uses in the One video i love it. it doesnt as much play time as it should. (i have a gibson les paul custom and a esp kirk hammet custom) but i do love it. been playin for 10 years. (15 yrs. old)
    Nirvanarien
    Nirvanarien wrote: I do not like you're face mine is better! Have i seen you're face? No. Have you played that guitar? probably not. And even if you did, its still all opinion. I don't think that anal sex (man on man) would feel good, but a lot of people would probably disagree with me.
    Fixed myself
    Nirvanarien
    I do not like you're face mine is better? Have i seen you're facen? No. Have you played that guitar? probably not. And even if you did, its still all opinion. I don't think that anal sex (man on man) would feel good, but a lot of people would probably disagree with me.
    Insane Esp
    this guitar is great. ive played the higher ends too, not much difference. the only difference between these and the higher ones is the through body neck, the pickups and the weight. but who really gives a ****. the pickups are fine they still give a nice crunchy tone. pretty sweet guitar.