LTD EX-260 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EX-260

I play mostly metal, and the pickups in this guitar suit it very well. I'd heard mixed emotions about EMG HZs, so I wasn't sure how I was going to like the LH-300s. Regardless, I'll be replacing them with EMGs later on, but they are really good for my style right now. The pickups aren't noisy in the slightest - I went downstairs for over an hour and left the guitar plugged in, and when I returned I thought that it had been turned off. Virtually noiseless. I don't play much else besides metal, so I can't really judge what other styles this thing can pump out.

Overall I would say that this was a very good buy (especially for the price!) and that anyone that is considering buying a 260 should definitely do it. The only difficulty I thought I was going to have was finding a case for it, because the body is abstract, but I got it and it turns out that the owner had shipped it inside a case, so that cleared things up. Great guitar, go buy it!

I haven't used the guitar live yet (not till the 22nd), but I've been shredding non-stop, and it seems very solid for gigging. I couldn't tell you if the original strap buttons were solid or not, because as soon as I got the guitar I changed the buttons and put on a DiMarzio ClipLock strap, which works nicely. I would definitely use this guitar at a gig without a backup - it's solid. The only complaint I have is that it is a little neck-heavy, but I fixed that by simply moving the strap button to the center of gravity.

The action on this guitar (since it came from a guitar shop) was set pretty decently, but it was a little low (I play in Drop C, primarily, so it buzzed down there) when I tuned it down, so I raised it up. The owner of the guitar said that it had been "over-sprayed to fix a finish flaw" but I looked thoroughly over this guitar and found none what'soever, so that was a bonus.

This is a discontinued model from 2008, and for an Indonesian-made guitar it's pretty good! It's got a 24.75" scale set-neck with 22 frets. It's body is solid mahogany with a solid-top and a classic black finish. It's body style resembles that of a Gibson "Explorer", which gives it a slightly classic look. The electronics on this particular model are passive EMG-style ESP LH-300s, which sound almost identical to EMG HZs. The body top has a master volume and tone, as well as a three-way selector Switch (for the p'ups).