LTD EX-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EX-50

Purchased from: 3d music

I play 99% Metallica music and I play our own originals which are all heavy metal, and this axe is great for this genre of music! I have a Rogue GS-100R and I just recently bought a Johnson Marquis series studio amp which has over 30 amp models on it including many different types of Marshalls. This guitar and my amps go great with all of them. I would say that this guitar is for heavy rock or metal only because it puts out such a "chunky" and "heavy" thump sound. It would sound even better though if I put in EMG pickups.

Overall this guitar is great, I bought it brand new, and haven't had any problems with it. This is perfect for my style of music. IF it was stolen I would buy a new one, but I don't see it gettin stolen. I got this guitar on sale for 200 dollars, you can purchase it on www.samash.com for about $229.00 for this price you cant go wrong, it is basically a steal, you save big money and you get an awesome looking guitar, and with the money you save you can customize it to your specifications! Overall a definite 5.

This guitar is definetly gig-ready. I also have a Strat that I use for back up. But this guitar is definetly gig-worthy and I haven't had any problems with it. The only thing that I don't like about it, is the strap always seems to fall off of my guitar, but all explorers are like that, and I am soon going to fix that problem. Very dependable guitar!

When I first recieved this guitar, there was a small dent on the very top, and it was probably because of the stupid shipping people. It's an Explorer and they are bound to get some scratches considering all of the pointy edges! The finish on the guitar is great, couldn't ask for anything better.

- 22 frets - 2 humbucker pickups - 3 way selector Switch - Rosewood fretboard

norths01
    this guitar is great 4 begginers who are into any types of metal but if this is your second or third guitar i suggest u go 1 up 2 the ex260 or ex400
    rebornmaster9
    i have to add somthing to add to my review, this guitar is ****ing durable as hell, excuse my language... **** that, um... but i've thrown this thing droped it and it won't die, that is all in short: buy this guitar it ****ing kicks ass, looks awsome and is cheap
    whencowsfart101
    s_guitar_b wrote: I just bought one, and it takes about 20 mins to get used to, but once you do it's lovely. Plus most people don't own one, so it's unoriginal... Sounds crappy through effects though
    Dan Jacobs is played one in the "Lip Gloss And Black" music video by Atreyu, but I get your point about getting used to it.
    bigkid2422
    how is this guitar really? some put it down others really make it sound good. i got a line 6 spider iii 75. would it sound good though that. and by good i meen how good.
    Fisheth24
    Ok guys help time! (should be posted in a thread I know but I couldn't be bothered!) This or an Ibanez Xiphos?
    thatmikedude
    haha i just looked at this guitar online and it says its a basswood body with esp lh-100 pups not agathis body with lh-150 pups
    rebornmaster9
    oh another thing for my review, i droped the guitar a few months back and its a durable mother****er i'll tell you that
    Mikey-H
    An awesome review, i have this guitar aswell and i think its great! I lol'd when i was reading your review because i think the MH Series from ESP looks really good and has an awesome sound
    .DaNiel.
    i bought this guitar about 4 years ago. it's perfect for they who plays metal and want a guitar who is not owned by too many others. i would say you get way more than you pay for if you buy this guitar. and yes, it ****ing kicks ass, it's one of the best guitars i've played. and it looks splendid sry about my engrish, i'm norwegian.
    Angel aka alaab
    I really like this guitar. I have owned it for about 3 years now and replaced the pickups with SDs. But anyways, this guitar stays in tune like no other! I could play for a week straight and it would still be in tune! The pickups were really cheap though>_< but thats easily fixed. Everything was great outofthebox though.
    Braadhimself
    A nice guitar. I believe it won some award for being the best guitar under $1000 or something. It is pretty damn heavy and imbalanced, but that barely bothers me. Only 1 problem with mine, the volume knob came loose, but that was an easy fix so I can't complain. I won't pretend to be some big shot guitar guru, I've only been learning since mid this year, but as my first electric guitar I was pretty impressed.
    PALZ
    Question:I bought a used LTD EX-50 metallic silver and its bolt on neck made it look like a neck through... is that how everyone else's looks like, silver/black neck? I'm asking this because I'm planning on returning this used one and getting a new one online, but I'm not sure if all the guitars are designed like this. Plz let me know thanks guys.
    MaggaraMarine
    Za wrote: Pretty cool guitar,but u MUST change PU with some EMGs,SD,I-spira....
    rv_phoenix
    MaggaraMarine wrote: I just don't get why people change pickups. If you don't like the sound of your guitar then why did you buy it?? And if you have like three guitars and every guitar has the same pickups (like EMGs) they won't sound that different. I think that every guitar has their own sound and if you change pickups the sound of that guitar disappears. There will be a new sound but it's not that guitar any more. So what I'm trying to say: If you want EMGs or Dimarzios or whatever, buy a guitar that already has them. At least you will know what the guitar sounds like with stock pickups. When you change pickups you'll never know what the guitar will sound.
    MaggaraMarine
    rv_phoenix wrote: Let me put it this way. A Fender Stratocaster David Gilmour Worn is about 11.000 dollars on Fender's website, so it can reach 7-8000 dollars in a music shop. But it's basicly just an American Standard Stratocaster (which costs about 1200 dollars) with EMG pickups and a device for putting off one of the pickups: the whole pickguard, with EMGs and ready-wired, costs 300 dollars. So, you can get a 7000 dollars guitar for only 1500, and you only have to stick three lousy wires for that... Or, speaking about this ESP: it has terribly bad pickups and tuners, but good wood and it's well crafted. A pair of good pickups costs between 110 and 220 euros. A set of great locking tuners is 40 euros on ebay. With 150-260 euros you can triple the value of your guitar. That's why.
    I know that but still I don't like when you read reviews of all the guitars and every review says that you should change pickups and I think that the reviewers don't even know how the pickup change will effect the sound. They just have heard somewhere that the sound of the guitar isn't that good. I mean that usually the reviewers have not that much experience, only a year or two. I haven't changed pickups because I'm happy with both of my guitars. And I can get some kind of sounds with my Epi LP that my Charvel can't do. Yes, the Charvel sounds better but I don't want my LP to sound the same. Cheap guitars don't feel as good as more expensive guitars. So I would rather buy a 600 Charvel than a 200 LTD and then change pickups to Dimarzios. With more expensive models the pickup change may be more clever if you are looking for some sound. But I wouldn't change all the pickups of my guitars to EMGs. Then I wouldn't have like four different sounding guitars. All the guitars would sound pretty much the same.
    rv_phoenix
    When you get a little older and more experienced, you realize there's no such thing as a perfect stock guitar, no matter how much are you able to pay for. Then you have two options: 1) you pay a fortune and order a custom guitar, built upon your precise specs, or 2) buy a flawlessly built stock guitar and modify it according to your needs. Please notice that the majority of relevant players, no matter how rich they are, chose the second option. It really makes no sense to pay 8-10.000 euros on a custom-built guitar. It's just too much. I agree DiMarzios and EMGs are nothing but fashion. Real pickups, like Bareknuckle, Lindy Fralin or Seymour Duncan, can truly turn your guitar into pure heaven. But I respect your firm statement for stock guitars. One of my guitars is a stock one, and I'm pretty happy with it (but I'll have to change the tuning pegs someday, because they buzz and cut my harmonics...).
    Sludgecore
    I'm thinking about buying this guitar, so I have a question about the pickups? Are they any good? Or do you suggest me to change em right away?
    Phantom Lord 83
    Looks awesome, great reviews. Im hoping to get one of these in the next few months but im torn between the black or snow white finish
    AlexDTDT
    rite, im really stuck now, ivve been looking for a new guitar, and i came across the EX-50 on GAK(guitar amp keyboards) and i liked it from the moment i viewed it, but as the shop is locatted in Brighton (england) and i live in Staffordhire (england) i thought id look at some reviews as i cant actually "try befor i buy", but now i, even more confussed, after reading 3 or so reviews on the guitar saying how well it is and a great guitar for metal players and solos, i feel as if i must have this guitar. but then i read a few comments that totaly destroy what i think of as a good guitar, if i do go ahead with buying the EX-50, it`l set me back 199, a good price. but im not quite sure, so any comments to me would be a huge help
    din_blix
    How does a strap lock get ripped out? surely they're just talking about the stupid factory strap knob.
    theberzerker!!!
    I am looking at this guitar and i will probably get it, but a friend had the standard pick-ups on and it just didn't sound good so changing the pick-ups is a must!
    Dimebagjeff
    hell yeahh next pay check im pickin this guitar up...it so mean looking! i love it
    nexous
    I'm definately getting the 400bd.. i bought the ex-50 wondering how good esp really was.. and I'm pleased.
    s_guitar_b
    Alex-Sr
    it's a great guitar to start with...don't expect that this'll be the best guitar you ever play with, but it's worth the price. I especially like the neck of the ex-50 since it's not too large and perfectly shaped. Only 2 things I dislike about it is that the Strings are to high(with a little neck-mod it'll get all ok)and second the weight: the agathis body isn't as light as you think...but hey...at least you'll get some extra muscles.
    normaljeans
    real good guitar. the only issue i have with it is after the first few months of owning it, the output jack started to come loose and i have to tighten it up every once in a while, not a big issue. the guitar works excellent for the price.
    CHKurenai
    There are two things that I don't like about this guitar that I have noticed in the year that I have owned it: It is hard to balance well and a case for this things costs about $130 on average... still don't have one yet. Nice guitar, though.
    Satora
    I bought this guitar mainly for the looks(i was young and foolish) but it does sound quite good. Yeah the guitar swings down to left whilst standing which is annoying. I just put the amazing EMG 81 and 60 pickups on it and its truly awesome a great heavy sound. Luckily i found a hard case off eBay for 50. This is guitar is good for begginers and once your better you can upgrade the pickups so its almost the same as the EX-400. Great guitar all round.
    astrocambria
    this guitar is so good just change the pick ups to either the emg-zw (81/85) or 81/60
    CaptainInternet
    ldnovelo wrote: nexous, everyone can shred at 1 year of playing, i could play complete tender surrender by steve vai complete and master of puppets 2nd solo(none with mistakes) at my 9 months of playing in an f*cking jay turser brand 100 dollar strat copy, so dont be pruod of your "impossible shred"
    Fear my internet penis.
    Sewn Up
    I just bought this guitar a few weeks ago and it plays like a dream! I had been looking for a new guitar to fit my particular style better and jumped at this one. For those of you who are thinking of getting one and need a case for it, go to samash.com and do a search for ESP cases. That's how I found mine.
    josh-metal-head
    im getting this axe in about 3 or 4 weeks.. it is awesome.. i went to the music store and hooked this up tp all the different ampz, and it was perfect on all of 'em!! and for under 300 bucks its a steal!! the pickups, tone clean and/or distorted is amazing for the price.. nothing better out there for this price for us meatl-headz!!! rock on!!
    virtussilex
    I tried one of these in a music store with the same amp i got (Peavy ValveKing stack) and i must say for that price its not bad. It's the best solution if, perhaps you don't have that much money to go around, are a metalhead with a burning passion for metal music. But let me tell you, if you have the patience to save up for a EX-400 it's much more worth it. Check out the reviews for the 400 it says pretty much what I think
    Mources
    This guitar is awesome! I've had it for a year now, got pickups upgraded with EMG 81/85... actually sounds fine when playing anything! I could get the Metallica sound, ACDC, even the bluesey sound (of course with the use of an expensive pedal) but it sure was a good buy. Super plus side- nothing's gone wrong with it (except i had to tighten the knobs, and they weren't that bad anyway). If you haven't already, then buy one!
    ZaÐ
    Pretty cool guitar,but u MUST change PU with some EMGs,SD,I-spira....
    killerKOOL12345
    is there a difference between the esp ltd mh 50 because im thinking of selling it and if i do how much should i sell it for.... i wanna get this one istead of the current one i have
    James_Het_Rules
    Just ordered this, and replacing the pickups with the 81/85 setup. I own the KH signature and an old ESP M-100 both of which are excellently built and i love the quality. I also have an Ibanez S-series with the 81/60 setup and an RG7321 and in all honesty, the EX50 is just as good. Love ESP's lol.
    ldnovelo