LTD EX-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD EX-50

I play mostly metal, but sometimes I play some hard rock, or sometimes some clean, jazzy stuff. This guitar can sound good for all of those, as long as you have a decent amp. I've played this through my friend's Marshall solid-state combo amp and my other friend's no-name solid-state combo amp, both are around 50 watts. My guitar sounds pretty good through both. I Switch to the bridge pickup and turn the gain all the way up on the overdrive channel for a great metal/heavy rock tone. If I want a warm, jazzy clean tone, then I Switch to the neck pickup on the clean channel. There's never any fret buzz or noise from any of those settings I mentioned.

If you're a beginner in desire of a good, high-gain tone, this is a great guitar for you. I've been playing for about a year now and this guitar is great for me. I've played on other low-end guitars (my friend's Jackson JS-20, a Jay Turser Strat, etc) and this is a much better value. The sound, action, and general feel of this guitar is better by far than the ones I've mentioned. If something happened to it in the future, I might get different model for more features, but that's the only reason I would buy something else.

I haven't played live with this guitar, so I don't know if it is reliable. I jam alot with other people though, and it has never given me any trouble. I would feel comfortable using it on stage without a backup. The finish and hardware seem durable. I always knock the corners of the body on things and they haven't chipped or scratched at all.

I don't know what this guitar was like when it was first bought, because I bought this from my friend. Nevertheless, the action is perfect; nice and low. Plus, the neck is a nice thickness, similar to a Stratocaster. There were no scratches, dents, or flaws with any hardware (and I doubt my friend would spend money to fix the guitar, as he never played it anyways). The only thing we had to do was screw in the output jack, as it was loose.

My EX-50 was made in 2004 or 2005. It has a bolt-on neck, 2 ESP LH-100 pickups, 24.75" neck, Tune-O-Matic bridge, and a 22 fret maple neck w/rosewood fingerboard. It has a master volume knob, master tone knob, and a 3-way Switch for the pickups. Nothing fancy, I know, but if you're a beginner, you really need more.