LTD EX-50 review by ESP

• Reviewer's score: 3.4 Poor
ESP: LTD EX-50

Purchased from: Davis Guitar , Singapore

I play mainly metal, from Motley Crue to Metallica to Children Of Bodom and this guitar is only fit for rhythm playing. I plug this through a 15 watt Randall amp. The sound with the EMGs is phenomenal and gives a very rich and heavy sound when used with even a cheap $20 Danelectro Fab Distortion pedal.

I play metal and it would be a good match for the budget guitarist. I've been playing it for 6 months now and I wish I bought a Dean Dime-O-Flage instead. If it were stolen, I'll hunt down the person and force HIM to buy the guitar cause I want another one and he can have this piece of shit. If I couldn't find the son of a retard commiting incest with his sister I'll go buy something made of mahogany like a Dean ML 79 or a PRS SE Custom. I would compare this guitar to an Ibanez GIO and the other ESP LTD 50 range cause they all suck.

This guitar looks great and I would use it for gigs but the guitar is so fragile I don't think it'll last, so I'll definately need backups. The hardware doesn't seem like it'll last. The strap buttons are solid (that's the only thing on the guitar that is durable). Furthermore, the finish is wearing off slowly.

The axe wasn't well set up at the factory. the action was to high and I needed to adjust the humbuckers to get a decent sound (I mean the stock pickups not the EMGs) The finish looked good at first but proved to be lousy as dents form after almost every single knock. The wood is agathis, a very cheap wood, which sucks ass. the tuning pegs also go out of tune very easily especially when in drop tuning (even when I used 012-056 gauge strings). The volume knobs dropped out after 2 months and the 3 way selector had a problem and I had to get it replaced.

My EX-50 was made in 2005 in Indonesia (cheap manufacturing, No Doubt) 22 frets, solid top, made of agathis wood, Explorer shape, tune o matic bridge, 3 way selector, ESP tuners, I upgraded the humbuckers to EMG 81/85s and I swear, the sound was god-like. Before I upgraded the humbuckers, the sound was crap, and the bridge humbucker wasn't working. To sum it all up, I got conned of my money. By the way, it came in a gig bag that only fitted 80%.