LTD F-100FM review by ESP

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
ESP: LTD F-100FM

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I mostly play from fast metal to some slow rock (Metallica in some cases). The amp I'm using with it is a Fender Squier Champ 15. This guitar is capable of some pretty good distortion. It can play pretty clean also.

This guitar matches my music playing but not good enough. I've been playing for around a year and a half and I own a DigiTech RP50 and this and a Fender squire amp. I really really wished I would've saved the money and bought a better guitar. I do love the looks of the guitar the guitar really is awesome looking. If this guitar were stolen I would probably either get a F-400 or the Jackson DK2 and replace the pickups with the Zakk Wylde set.

In my opinion I wouldn't take this guitar to a live show. Save up for a better one in the F series (F-400). The hardware seems like it last. I would use this as a backup guitar. It is not very dependable. The finish of the guitar seems good enough to last. I've dropped this guitar a couple of times and the neck is only warped a little bit.

The guitar set-up at the factory came with a set of ghs-boomers. 10 gauge. The factory didn't set this guitar up like it should have been. Well at first I started to play it when I got it and the low 3 strings all buzzed against the frets when I played them. So I had to take off the strings and raise the bridge a little bit. Now my problem is everytime I put a high E string on and go from Drop C to Standard the string breaks. I have broke the high E string on this guitar 3 times. Then both the volume and the tone knob fell off. That wasn't really bad all I had to do was stick a butter knife in between the slow and make it wider so it'll hold.

This guitar has 24 jumbo frets rosewood. The see through black is pretty cool looking. The pickups are pretty good for the price you pay for this guitar. The body of it is pretty awesome. This guitar isn't the greatest for tapping. I'd get another if you like to tap a lot. The pickups are ok not great but ok.

Jivejames67119
    My friend has an old version of one of these. It's not flamed but prolly the same. But I've played it quite a bit and everytime I do I'm jealous because its way better than my guitar.
    tar-bra
    im thinking of buying this guitar would this be the best one out of the 100s or is it all down to different looks?
    PaperStSoapCo
    to tar-bra: i havent really played any other other 100's. but ive had this one for almost 2 1/2 years i think, and it's holding up quite well. matter of fact its damn good for the price. finished is a bit scratched but nothing wrong with that. so its pretty durable, plays great, feels great, and sounds great. just try it out at a guitar store and try a few others. im sure you'll find the one that works for you.
    tar-bra
    awww k i heard its all good cept for the pick ups so should i throw bill lawrence or seymour duncans n it??
    PaperStSoapCo
    that was my plan when i first got it, but i never really had to. i like the sound the pick ups put out just fine. but its all up to you. if you get one and the tone bothers you, then change them. but the odds are good that you wont have to.
    PaloAlta
    This was my first real electric, outside of a squier bullet and starcaster (puke). I've had it for about two years and I can say from experience that it's an amazing guitar for the money this thing outlasts and stays in tune longer than my friends gibson sonnex, if you find you're having trouble with the tone or sound, it could just be that your amp's eq is up to high, as in full bass, 7 mid, full treble or something like that, who knows, 65% of the population are idiots. Peace.
    Fazemelta666
    My Dad's got one of these babies, and they're frickin' awseome! Especially with a Roland Micro-Cube Amp with a DS-1 Distortion Pedal, and also, does anyone know where I can find a review on Kirk Hammett's signature KH101 Guitar? Cuz I'm a Big-ass 'Tallica fan.
    HannibalX
    its pretty good, I trust the ltd's to last on stage, a lot of friends have used various ltd's and not one has had a complaint, well yeah there have been one or two who have not liked the tone (wtf?!)
    univave
    I have an F-100FM and an F-50 and I love them both (figures, since they're pretty much the same guitar). And I got each of them for $100... I just keep them tuned differently. I really don't know why people are always carping about the stock pups! They sound great clean and distorted. I like them alot.
    Mayu!~
    Is there a special case for this guitar? I'd like to store it properly
    Smerv
    Don't have the F-100FM, but I do have an '02 F-100 black (pretty much what an F-50 is now). I got it in '03 from Musician's Friend for around $200, I think. I've long since gotten rid of the stock pickups in favor of the EMG 81/85 combo. I absolutely love this guitar. The body style fits so perfectly to my body. The lack of square edges definitely helps. Very light weight. Loved it so much, I got the F-50FR (with Floyd Rose Special bridge). My only question is why hasn't this body style been made by the Mother-brand, ESP themselves, as are the EC-, M-, and EX- guitars? Guess that body is just too metal to be made in the USA!
    kildog40
    drug.me.2.hell
    kildog40 wrote: I also put in the emg 81/85 combo and it is absolutely lovely. Its a great guitar for a kid on a college budget.
    81/60 combo are better for me
    PaperStSoapCo
    barhain indeed (retard). and it was $5 less then the f-50. it was some thing where like you get $300 of stuff or more and you get $75 off. so it was either f-50 for $225 and another $75 worth of crap or f-100fm at $295 and a pack of strings... makes sense to me