LTD F-100FM review by ESP

ESP: LTD F-100FM

Purchased from: Sam Ash (online store)

I play mainly metal. ESP make guitars with a great metal feel to them, so it should be obvious how this one turned out. The tone is perfect for giving me that bite without going over board and tearing it up. The cleans are decent but maybe just a little too much treble. I've adjusted the height of the bridge pickup, but that's the only adjustment I've made yet. The sound overall is really what I was going for. I've been considering throwing a new bridge pickup in, but I'm not going to jump on this decision as there is time to do so. I use a Marshall AVT50 and a Crate GTX15R and my pedalboard consists of a Boss MT-2 and a Dunlop DB-02. I wouldn't take this guitar too far out of the range of metal and hard rock, ESPs don't go too well outside of those genres and I think that's just fine. Overall though, with everything stock this guitar can tear through any crowd if you can play it right.

For what I play I would say the F-100FM really fits right in my glove. For my 7 years of playing, I've went through Washburn, B.C. Rich, Dean, Ibanez, LTD and Jackson. I like my Randy Rhoads but I just really love my LTD Viper 100-FM, and the F is working it's magic on me as well. These LTDs are just good guitars. The guitar is lighter than my Viper and the raw neck is even nicer. Put some lube on that thing and your fingers will be flying. The raw neck is definitely my favorite feature other than the overall body appearance and the lightweighted-ness of the guitar. I really think this guitar was a perfect match for me and I couldn't have asked for another guitar this time around. Although this will never replace my Viper, this is a great guitar alongside my Viper. Two of the best damn guitars period. If you're looking at buying one, think about it and I would recommend ordering it. Fine built, and well playable.

I don't play live considering my friend and I can't find any other people solid enough in the local area to stick through the rough. I don't see any problems in the future with this guitar. ESPs are tanks all of them, a ding really makes no difference on an ESP. Just don't smash it on stage and you should still get sound out of it. The finish looks like it should be sturdy enough, but then again I like my guitars to have scars. Giving it the image of a long lived Legend. The strap buttons stock I wouldn't trust Live, since I dropped my ex's Epiphone from a bad strap torn loose. When I get more money I plan to by more Schallers.

The action is fairly good, low like I like it. As mentioned earlier I did adjust the bridge pickup for that extra push in my tone. But otherwise the guitar plays like my others. Perfect. To my knowledge I haven't found a single ding or spot of rust on the wood or hardware. The nut seems a bit askew slanting to the right but causes no problems for the playing.

The LTD F-100FM is a 2006 model. It is a See-Thru Black finish. It is a 25.5" scale with 24 frets. The body is agathis with a flamed maple top. The neck is a maple with a rosewood fretboard. A rare ESP feat. is the raw neck it sports unlike many other 100 series of guitars such as my Viper and my friend's Eclipse which have matching finish necks. The pickups are LH-100 passive pickups. The bridge is a string-thru body, with a tune-o-matic bridge piece. 1 Volume and 1 Tone knob with a 3 way pickup selector. Black hardware. Tuners are unknown to my knowledge. I would assume Standard Grovers or the like. Nothing included besides 2 allen wrenches, one for the truss rod and one for the volume knobs. However there was the boutique 2007 model catalogue included (considering I ordered the guitar this year).