LTD F-250 review by ESP

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
ESP: LTD F-250

Purchased from: musiciansfriend

It was well suited for rock and metal which is what I was playing at the time, I was playing it through a Kustom Quad Jr. Halfstack with Metal Muff distortion and a BBE Dual Maxcom Compressor/Limiter/Maximizer. The pickups are noisy, I compared them to my Schecter with passive EMG H4s and the H4s are considerably quieter and more articulate.

It was a great match for The Music I was playing, the way it looked and the way it sounded. I've been playing for 17 years and I've owned 3 other guitars with Floyd Rose tremelo, a Washburn, B\.C\. Rich, and a Kramer. If it were lost or stolen, I'd forget about it. I don't play it anymore. It's an ok guitar if you're on a budget but if you want something that will last longer and perform and sound better, I'd save my money for something different. I love the way it looks but I hate the quality and the shoddy pickups. I didn't compare it to any others because I loved the design. I wish it had a better tremolo and better pickups.

I wouldn't play Live with this guitar as much as it goes out of tune. I found myself retuning it more than I was playing it so eventually I stopped using it and bought a Schecter with a tune-o-matic which stays in tune much better. The hardware such as the bridge, nut and tuners are solid and I never had a problem with them but I wouldn't depend on it due to the tuning and the knobs. It feels like it will wear out pretty quickly.

The guitar's action came set pretty low. I only had to lower it a quarter turn to get it where I wanted it, the pickups were set correctly and the neck plays very fast and comfortably. The neck is nice and thin, not quite as thin as a Jackson Kelly but close. The controls were good for a while but 6 months later the volume knob kept coming loose no matter how much I tightened the set screw and eventually it wouldn't stay on tight at all. The knobs' action is very loose and feels kind of cheap. The tremolo goes out of tune really fast, regardless of how much you tighten the locking nut, dive bombs will throw it out of tune drastically.

It was made in 2007, I'm not sure where it was made. Came with 24 Jumbo Frets, Agathis body with Maple 3 piece neck. I wanted the platinum model but I settled for the black because the platinum was on back order. Bridge was a Licensed Floyd Rose floating tremolo, passive LH-301 pickups, Volume/Tone/Pickup selector controls and stock tuners.