LTD F-250 review by ESP

ESP: LTD F-250

Price paid: £ 379.99

Purchased from: GAK

I mainly play a blues metal style that also incorporates a fair amount of progressive rock and classic rock influences and the guitar works wonderfully for this sound. I play through a Fuzz Factory into a Zoom G7.1UT and then out of a Marshall MG30DFX and the range of tones I can achieve are fantastic. The only slight bugbear since switching to EMG's are that they don't clean up particularly well, however the 89 in the neck has been set up for a coil-split which helps and with the volume rolled down the 81 also sounds reasonably clean. At various points in the time I have had this guitar I have played everything from Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd to Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold. The guitar handles the more agressive metalcore sounds best, but still works very well for the classic rock and blues tones as well. The main problem with this guitar is that due to the extra jumbo frets there is a slight dead spot on the 17th fret on the high e string, not too serious but it doesn't sustain as long as the rest of the frets and until you get used to it it takes a while to get the note to ring out immediately, however you do learn how to play it after a couple of days playing at most.

I have been playing guitar now for 5 years and have owned 4 different guitars (a Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Jackson KVX10, a Shine guitar and this) and the F-250 is my favourite guitar, it really does stand out thanks to the combination of features, durability and useability. The only thing I wish this had was an actual Floyd Rose bridge, however the licensed has held up very well so it is only a minor wish. Personally I think it looks absolutely Killer and fits like a glove when playing live. If it was lost or stolen I would definitely try and get it back and if I couldn't I'd have to get the F-350 as this model is now discontinued, otherwise I'd get this again in a heartbeat. A fantastic model in my opinion, well worth the money I spent on it.

I have had this guitar 3 years now and it is still fantastic to play. I have never had any trouble with the floyd rose, it even withstands pull-ups and stays in tune. I have used it live a number of times without a backup, however it became a bit of a problem for playing in alternate tunings due to the floyd rose, but that is why I now have 2 extra guitars as backup. This is still my main guitar and I have never needed to tighten the strap buttons even though they are just the Standard ones that came with the guitar. It is lightweight which some people may not like but personally I like it and it allows long playing sessions without feeling like you have a brick tied around your neck. The finish is still pretty much perfect, there is just one small dent in the body of the guitar that I can't for the life of me remember how it happened but the rest of the guitar is still absolutely spotless. Overall I really can't find any faults with how it has lasted.

The action was a little high when I first got this, but that was soon adjusted to how I prefer it. The tuning was also horrendous, but that also didn't take too long to correct, even though it is a Floyd Rose bridge. Everything else was well set up, nothing was loose, the truss rod was set correctly, strap buttons and all the controls were tightened well and the stock pickups were well adjusted. The only problem that started to appear is the jack input nut comes loose from time to time so I have to keep checking it's tight before I play or risk losing the input.

This guitar was made in Indonesia, not sure what year but I bought it new in 2008. It has 24 extra jumbo frets, 25.5" scale, rosewood fretboard with arrow inlays, thin U-neck contour, agathis body, maple neck, neck-thru body construction, ESP tuners, black gloss finish, licensed Floyd Rose tremolo, came with ESP LH-301 passive pickups but I swapped those for EMG 81 and 89 pickups after 6 months, push-pull coil split on the tone knob, 3-way pickup selector, 1 volume, 1 tone and 42mm locking nut. The only problems I have found with this guitar is the stock pickups were a bit thin sounding (hence why I switched to EMG's) and I would have prefered to have a real Floyd Rose as the tremolo arm is a bit loose, however my Bridge has yet to go out of tune from agressive use after 3 years, so I can't complain too much.

DyingFetus117
    Does anybody know if this guitar is light weight? I have shoulder problems. So can someone reply if they know if it is? Thanks!