LTD F-400FM review by ESP

ESP: LTD F-400FM

Purchased from: Förstärkardoktorn, sthlm

I play emocore and metalcore, and this guitar really pulls it off, all of it. In my band we have heavy distortion to bright, clean & beutiful arpeggio riffs, and still, this guitar takes it all. Many may say that the EMG pickups aren't versitle, sure they are not all in one, but since the wood in this guitar is so spectacular, the tone shines through and gives both an angry distortion at the same time it releases a beutiful tone on the clean sounds. I use a Roland 100 W, something model with a V-amp 2, and sure, the V-amp doesn't sound all to good, but the guitar - wow! The pickups never hum, exept at very high volumes and much gain/distortion. Overall, this guitar sounds beutiful!

A lot of people say that this guitar is too metal for me (as said before, I play emocore and metalcore), but the thing is that I fell in love with this guitar the first time I laid eyes on it, so I don't really care if it fits my style or not. I've been playing the guitar for almost four years now, and I have tested a reasonable number of guitars and this is by far my favourite! If there was any other who could compete, it would be a Les Paul. What I like the most is the tone, it's really spectacular! What I dislike about this one is the finish flaws and that the strap button loosens up after a while, other than that, this guitar is close to perfect!

This guitar will ofcourse withstand live playinf, unless you combine it with a sanding maschine or something similar to that. The finish is very easily scratched, since it is high polish. So small, barely visible scratches oftenly come up every now and then. The strap buttons are good, although I have changed them to schaller strap-loks. The upper strap-lok loosens up after a couple of weeks of use, but with a screwdriver, the problem is fixed. I think it is stupid to not bring a backup guitar, but I still rely on it and it would easy hold for a lot of concerts until something happens.

The guitar was almost in perfect set up from the factory. A little low string height, so they do shake against the frets a little if you strike them hard. Otherwise than that, it was great! The guitar did have some flaws though, on some certain "hard to reach" places, such as the area under the upper horn/cutaway there is some orange skin (the surface is a little uneven) and the lower horn had a chip on the edge, but it isnt visible if you don't know about it from before. The frets are filed to not have any sharp edges and also fixed so strings don't get stuck between the fret and fretboard.

Made in korea 2005, this guitar features: - 24 XJ frets - 25.5" scale, rosewood fretboard + maple neck - High polish & flame maple top - Impala-like horns, and sharp edges - Tune-O-Matic bridge with string thru-body - 3-way Switch, tone & volume knobs - H/H configuration, dual EMG 81's (active) - Non-locking Grover tuners.

Mitasu
    sorry, i'm quite new to guitars and i was wondering, what are EMG active pickups? i heard it uses batteries or something please explain it to me =/
    Shredtohell
    I own this guitar and it is great. I got a custom distortion effect on my line 6 pod and the pick ups from this guitar brings the tone out perfect. It has a nice Lamb of God sound to it.
    arash998
    Guys, I wanna buy this guitar from Bill Music, Tom Lee Music or any other shippers who can deliver it to Orlando or Toronto (Or maybe got a store there) But as I couldn't test it before buying it, I wanna know if it's OK to buy it online!? Any problem? Thanks ...
    Lackesse
    So thin neck yet good plaYABLE,love the weight,so light ,mahogany,this is the best guitar far away from any other LTD guitars!!!!{my opinion}
    Lackesse
    Love this guitar...Yesterday called me from vienna's guitar shop and my order is fullfilled!!!!YESSS...Love this guitar !!!!!
    Stripping_nuns
    it beats the F250 exept for the floyd and active pickups when you connect 2 electric poles to a magnet, the magnetic field around the magnet will be much stronger, and since pickups are magnets, they 'atract' more tone, they have a louder sound, should normally sound more clear, and have a lot more accent
    Arman64
    EMG pickups use a 9V battery. They have an extreamly high output and that means they can get pretty easyily distorted. They are mainly used for metal because they are brillint for palm muting and have excellent harmonics. A few models are the EMG-81, EMG 85 and EMG 60.
    nomad911
    lmao they stuck my review under the wrong guitar, mine is for the H-400 not F
    Mahoru
    Right, the active pickups have the widest sound array you can get (in my opinion). The dual EMG 81 is very good, but I prefer to get an EMG 85 instead of the neck 81, the power gets even better.
    southpaw_tdg
    i got mine for $450 on craigslist. its pretty nice. trading it for a windsor 100w half stack