LTD F-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD F-50

Purchased from: Flea Market

Guitar was made in Indonesia LTD factory in 2008 (F-50 guitars are made in China now). It has 24 Jumbo frets neck scale is 24. 5" with a super fast thin neck made of maple in the back and with rosewood fingerboard, Solid top body is made of Basswood and the finish is Gloss Black. The body style is very wicked LTD exclusive F shape it has a Tune-o-matic bridge with string thru body design. You get ESP LH-100 pickups two humbuckers and also master tone volume control and 3 way toggle switch. Tuners are ESP made non locking and no accessories are includes as i bought it used.

The sound suits me very well, I play hard rock very '80s kind of sound Aerosmith, Dokken, Helloween, Maiden, Cinderella etc. This thing is made to be played with distortion it really shines when you play power chords and Hi Gain settings, the slides sound great, and the sound of the neck humbucker is warm but sweet to play, the highs really scream I'm not into changin' pickups I think these ones are cool, mine is a bit noisy but is used so I think it needs a cleaning. The cleans on this guitar are extremely well and it has a warm dark bassy sound when you play with the position of the middle, arpeggiating ballads and finger picking sounds incredible I can't believe its clean sound, yet the sustain is huge thanks to the string-thru body, which really makes this guitar sound with a lot of response, you can feel the entire guitar respond when you hit a chord.

As I bought it on a flea market I expected this thing to be really beaten up, and it was because there were scratches everywhere and also a big piece of paint is lost on the bottom of the guitar but doesn't affect anything, the pickups were well adjusted, incredibly but the neck was straight as an arrow, it has a very straight neck that is the main reason I bought it, and the playability is super fast, action is set extremely low as I like it, the tuners are loose a Little for the use, it seems like this guitar has been played a lot but that just made it sound better, after a change of strings, a bit of cleaning and minor adjustments it was ready to be played, and believe me this thing rocks, the tune-o-matic is great and adds sustain, the shape of this F-50 guitar is maybe my favorite ever. I just wish I had the version with a Floyd Rose but I'm looking forward to buy it soon.

I think this guitar can stand live playing as it is reliable and well made, but I wont gig with it as is a very beaten up guitar and I just have it to play at my house or any jammin' session, the hardware seems very used now, the straps are still very solid, and if this guitar was new I would totally depend on it. The finish is good however my guitar is used so I can't rate this as it is a used guitar but if I had the F-50 Floyd Rose version I would totally depend on it. My guitar has some scratches and loose parts but it Works well for jammin' with friends and at my house.

I have been paying for 10 years and I still can't get enough of the instrument as it takes years to master, I like anything from classic '60s rock to power metal bands like Helloween and Angra or Yngwie Malmsteen, I like shredding and doing all kinds of crazy tapping styles and I have a lot of fun when I play. I wish it had better pickups and Floyd Rose, but I love it as it is now as it costed me 115 used, I already had one back in 2005 but sold it still don't know why, but now I have it again and I love it. I also have another LTD M100QM with Floyd Rose which I really love and two Ibanez RG guitars which are different but all of them has it strengths and weaknesses but I just love guitars with Floyd Rose as it gives you tons of more sounds. If this guitar was stolen I would buy another. I think this is one of the best guitars I can have for the money you pay.