LTD FX-260 review by ESP

ESP: LTD FX-260

I play mostly 2000's metal (Lamb Of God, Children Of Bodom, Trivium, As I Lay Dying etc.) and this baby's got what it takes. The pickups were much more than I expected. Most of the pickups I've "experienced" aren't much without a bigger amp or a distortion pedal. I have just a small 15w amp at home (not sure of the manufacturer) with simple gain-volume-tone controls, which I think is good if I want to hear the sound of the pickups without anything extra modifying the sound. And no other pickup I've tried home has had such a rich and "heavy" sound (not to mention how easy it's creating pinch harmonics), as these ones. The slim set-neck construction gives a long sustain and despite the guitar's simple and few controls, it has a lot different sounds to offer, especially when playing clean.

I think this guitar is excellent if you prefer heavier stuff, beats the hell out of the Explorers made by Epiphone, Hamer etc. I've been playing for about 3 years now and I don't own any effects or pedals. If the guitar was stolen, I don't know, I'd most likely buy this one again or something with same kind of specs. I love the guitar's looks. I love the shape, which isn't quite the most traditional model of the Explorer and I love the finish revealing the beauty of the wood at it's best. I love the pickups which I never thought I could get on a guitar this cheap. I just love it! I can't really say there's anything in it that I hate. All I can say, which is pretty childish I think, is that I'd prefer the fretboard without inlays. To me the most favorite feature is, after all, the light wood material. I just hate playing while standing when the guitar weights a ton, and after a two-hour practice my shoulder and back are killing me. With a guitar this light, I feel like I can do anything! At first I was actually going to buy a gothic Les Paul Studio, by Epiphone (it had most of the features this guitar had), but after the dude at the store convinced me that I'm making the biggest mistake in my life (well not exactly but he sure didn't recommend it), I started looking around for a guitar the same price. I tried also Epiphone's Gothic Explorer but I realized it looks better made than it actually is. I just couldn't find anything that I would've been excited enough to have the guts to buy it. Then, I saw it: the most beautiful thing I've seen (beauty and beast you could say) with such a great prize! I actually never got to try it out before buying it because no store had it, but I tried out the FX400, which is 200 more expensive than the 260 but so much alike, only with different pickups, tuners and nut. And here I am: Me try, me like, me buy. For you readers I'd like to say that if you want a unique design axe with not just the looks but awesome action & HW also, seriously try out this one!

Now, I haven't taken the guitar out Live but I've used it in our band's training sessions, and I gotta say, I can't wait to play with it live! I've never had problems with the strap buttons, only with old and worn out straps that have snapped during playing. I haven't got a lot stage experience, but enough to realize that there ain't no guitar I would take onstage without backup if I don't have to. Anything can happen out there, so I'd always take another guitar securing a successfull show. However, if I just could manage to get myself a backup guitar, I would definately rely on this one thinking, that only like a lightning or Inferno would stop it (or a snapped string, but only for a while).

I'm not sure if the guitar was set up in the factory. I ordered the guitar from an instrument store and I'm pretty sure they adjusted it when it arrived there. Anyway, I haven't felt a need touching the guitar with a screwdriver (or any Tool). The strings are low as I want them to be and the pickups (bridge) are close enough to the strings to create the sound I like. The finish is just plain wood, which makes the texture unique in every guitar of this model. I haven't spotted any flaws in the guitar, at least not yet.

This guitar was made in 2007, and it says "Indonesia" in the back of the headstock. It has 22 XJ frets on a rosewood fretboard, mahogany body with spalted maple top, mahogany 24.75 set-neck, natural satin finish. The body is like the ESP's EX style (like an Explorer but sharper) with an ESP "F" headstock. Tune-O-Matic bridge, Passive EMG-ESP LH-300 pickup set (which I think have replaced the EMG HZ's in the ESP guitars and are a lot alike), 1 volume, 1 tone, ESP Ltd tuners. The guitar normally cost J489 (about 670 USD) but I paid J480 total with a Warwick gigbag. This was my second guitar I bought and demanded set-neck, mahogany body, a little larger frets than normal, "heavy" pickups and balance. This guitar pretty much had it all for my budget.

KenG
    shwillyu wrote: A 5 piece neck? What the hell does that even mean?
    I'd hazard a guess that the neck is not one piece but is laminated lengthwise with 5 strips of wood instead. This is very strong but not quite as expensive to do as smaller pieces of wood can be used. Some tone freaks would also argue it's not as good as a one-piece neck. This is not a lot of money to spend on a guitar so that's to be expected.
    skralan
    I've seen them in my local shop. I was expecting an awesome rude wood grain finish, but in fact it is really smooth, and in my opinion not rude enough. Too bad, i really liked it when i tought it was very rough. I was kind of disappointed.
    koolfoolinapool
    Dude I have that Gothic Les Paul Studio by Epiphone. It's actually not quite bad. Good pickups, sustain, and all. It's quite the average guitar and it's comfortable to play with being lightweight and all. But I really want an ESP.
    bradc22
    This is a great guitar for all types of music. The coil-split helps make any sound from Pantera to Zepplin. The action on this guitar is great. The finish is really smooth and makes this guitar really comfortable to play on. I have an epiphone SG, a fender strat, and i recently had a washburn wi-64 and this fx-260 is definately my favorite so far.
    Zachy Boy
    rebofthetemple
    your probably gonna have to order online, not very many shops carry em, and those that do usually run out right away. I should know, the EC-500 i got was the last one my local shop carried, i had to beat out 15 people for it xD
    BreederOfHAte
    buy it online at musiciansfriend.com
    1201ZJ
    In a way this guitar resembles James Hetfield's Ken Lawrence custum, even the headstock looks similar
    GetThis
    penggg. _____ Ibanez GRX70 Carlsbro GLX100 Digitech Deathmetal Digitech Turbo Flanger (soon to come)
    El-Senor
    Damnit..I wish you could edit reviews. "Not being a gigging musician, I really cant PLAY"...*say.
    Thurisaz
    I bought one of these guitars, and I liked it so much that for 10 bucks more, I bought an H-500 w/ Duncans on closeout. Definitely a steal, considering I got an FX260, H500, Rocktron Zombie, Road 4x12, and Ashdown Fallen Angel all for $910. Quite a haul... almost like NGD Christmas.
    zeroordie6868
    joshjebl wrote: atreyu uses a version of this but it's painted i dont like the stained look
    actually Dan Jacob's guitar is the LTD EX-400 model with his blood splattered custom paint and original FLoyd Rose
    db0ss429
    u can get them online at samash.com for around 500 dollars not inluding a hard case dude, none of hte guitar shops where i live have these, where can i get an esp??[/quote]
    db0ss429
    i have this guitar, and about two months after having it, the problems started. first the pickups fell out, then my cables for the amp wouldnot work because the input was stripped, and then four cracks appeared! it had never been dropped and was always in its case(except when i was playing)
    db0ss429
    db0ss429 wrote: [quote]db0ss429 wrote: u can get them online at samash.com for around 500 dollars not inluding a hard case
    SL!!!
    mrbiscuits315 wrote: led,rainsong wrote: ESP seems to use scales like 24.5 and 24.75 a lot and i would think that it would be worse for shredding especially high on the neck because the space between the frets is smaller i like the ESPs but i wish they had some that were like 25.5 scale idk maybe im just freakin out too much Its kindof hard to get used to the smaller frets, but its not really a big issue. My old guitar teacher had a esp and he shredded just fine.
    Yeah, i have an ESP and i have no problem with it. If you're used to bigger frets you'll just get used to it over time. It makes about zero difference. Although i'd have to say that ESP just really does not have the best combination of action/tone that i really want, so i mean, really it's just your personal preference.
    _Paddy_
    looks cool. i also lyk Lamb Of God, bit of children of Bodom, pantera etc etc and r looking for a new guitar to shred on. this one looks tops! gd review
    QueenZeppelin
    QueenZeppelin wrote: I don't know what asshat at Gibson thought of this, but this is the stupidest guitar I have ever seen, and that includes "The Log" from GH lmao
    Sorry everyone, this comment was supposed to be on the Reverse V, clicked the wrong link xD
    led,rainsong
    joshjebl
    atreyu uses a version of this but it's painted i dont like the stained look
    rgibson2
    i dont necessarily mind the wood finish, but i think they shoulda done more with it, like make it more distinctive, i dont know, maybe just my opinion
    insatyrguitar
    joshjebl : atreyu uses a version of this but it's painted i dont like the stained look
    what does a higher end model of the same body shape that atreyu uses have anything to do with this?
    Phe4rTheGod
    eh...ive tried ESP and i love the feel and looks but the sound and the action makes me unsure of them...i just cant get into em...i guess Schecter kinda set the bar for me...
    Ca1am1ty
    i love the wood on this guitar...its beautiful.All it needs is 24 frets,and it would be nice if they got rid of the inlays.Or at least the crappy looking 12th fret one :S
    QueenZeppelin
    ctb
    I'd love a finish like that on an MH model, or the similar shaped ones.
    Zanon
    never was a fan of the explorer shape, more of a super strat man myself
    Guitar Sushi
    I love every explorer shape out there because the re-makes tend to have sharper edges. The original is fugly as, but look at the Jackson Kelly. Whoa... so awesome...
    joshjebl
    nice price but i dont like the wood finnish i wonder how much it would be painted. cuz these guitars rape and pillage your amp i want one
    ShredderOmega
    I agree with Death-speak, it could do with a bit more cut away. But that's the thing with all ESP's is the fast, if I ever need to replace my guitar it'll be an ESP
    mrbiscuits315
    deaththrashcore
    This guitar just looks odd in the hands of a shredder, especially with the EMGs on something that looks like it was just carved out of a tree. Lawl... Atreyu... XP
    mafropetee
    To the people who say they would rather have a painted version, keep in mind that the EX-260 is NOT the same guitar. It uses agathis instead of mahogany, which is a crappy sounding wood. I like the FX-260, but it does need a pickup change. HZ = fail. Oh, and ESP has plenty of 25.5 scale guitars.