LTD GUS-600EC Gus G Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 10/06/2014 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD GUS-600EC Gus G
The Gus G. 600-EC is a Korean made LTD guitar with a gorgeous custom finish. Has the recognizable Les Paul body but with a 25.5" scale neck, like a Fender.
 9.1
 9.3
 8.9
 6,890
reviews (2) pictures (1) 23 comments vote for this gear:
LTD GUS-600EC Gus G Reviewed by: zoloz23, on november 15, 2012

Features: The Gus G. 600-ec is a Korean made Ltd guitar with a gorgeous custom finish. Has the recognizable Les Paul body but with a 25.5'' scale neck, like a fender..22 Xjumbo frets, although I wish it had 24.no big deal. The thin you maple neck is set-thru the solid mahogany body, offering the ideal aspects of a bolt-on and set neck. Rosewood fingerboard with custom 'fire' inlays. This guitar includes two amazing active Seymour Duncan Blackout ABH-1's that really bring out the power of distortion, although it holds its own on cleaner settings. Also has ESP locking tuners. Not exactly Grover quality, obviously, but it works. A pre-installed killswitch allows a quick silencing of sound, for Buckethead-like riffs. The only drawback is the stripped down controls-one volume, one tone, and a 3-way pickup selector. Not a problem for me because I usually just dime all my controls, but others might find it a hesitation. But trust me, the quality and sound is worth it. // 9

Sound: I play most genres of music, notably the 80's metal and avant-garde stuff like Buckethead and Paul Gilbert. This guitar is a heavy monster! I can crank up the distortion as much as I want and it never becomes muddy or noisy. It was made for metal! It works great with effects, no matter how exotic. I've run it through a variety of amps, from complete crap to top of the line tubes, and it always shines through. The active Seymour Duncans are soundless if the strings are left untouched, then boom with a single strike. With this I can play anything from Clapton to Pantera to Ozzy. On cleaner settings however, picky people may not like the sound. This guitar cannot truly pass for say, a tele, because well, it isnt one. I usually play the heavier stuff, so this guitar suits me. That said, a person experimenting with genres and leaning in a different direction might not want this speed demon. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not gonna lie. This guitar came basically perfect straight from the box.! The action was as low as possible without buzz, all knobs and tuners were tight, and the finish was almost reflective. ESP also equalized the pickups so they sounded the same. The fingerboard looked like it was a little worn, although it wasn't. The fret wires also seemed dull but that might just be my guitar. Another minor flaw are little 'out of sight' imperfections in the finish. On the side of the body are two small white pinstripes. But in places like the neck-body joints, there is some extra paint. Not the biggest problem, as only I can see it, but sometimes annoying. Again, that might just be my guitar. Another con are the strings. It comes with SIT(stay in tune) strings, and I was not impressed. They are not as bright as I would've have liked, and they don't exactly stay in tune for long. In addition, the guitar was set up for 10's, not 9's as I would have preferred. Still, the cons are overshadowed by the overall excellence of this guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: To start, this is my first guitar that has active pups. I know I can definitely trust this at a gig, but I just don't know when to expect the battery to die out. This is also a heavy bi*ch, around 8-10 pounds. It is a Les Paul after all. The strap buttons are wide in diameter and work perfectly for Standard straps. On the other hand, those with stretchy straps like I do will NEED to replace them with strap locks. Another note, this guitar is balanced in weight, so it won't tilt to one direction. I would use this as my sole guitar at a gig only if I were not planning on playing very light, clean songs. As I mentioned earlier, its clean capabilities only go so far. On the other hand, moderate to extreme songs will flow right off the strings. The finish appears very thin, but is very tough. It is very smooth and will not scratch. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're looking for the highest quality metal guitar under $1000, this is for you. I wouldn't recommend this for beginners because they might not harvest the full capabilities of this guitar. Intermediate to advanced players will find this beats some guitars worth double the price. If this was stolen I would probably buy another. My favorite feature is the included killswitch. I did not bother factoring it in in my decision to purchase this guitar, it was just an added bonus. I also like Gus G's signature on the headstock, a nice touch. Perhaps one of the most important aspects ore the pickups. And they do not disappoint. The tonal capacities are endless. I compared this guitar to several other Jacksons, Ibanezs, Schecters, Deans and even some Gibsons. I could not find a better guitar for the price and features. I am a very picky guitarist, so I extensively research every variable of everything I buy. I finally chose this one and I am glad I did. Bottom line, this guitar is built for any serious player interested in heavier genres that want their sonic powers to multiply. Time to get rid of your First Act and elevate to this beast! // 10

LTD GUS-600EC Gus G Reviewed by: Panos94, on october 06, 2014

Price paid: € 800

Purchased from: ART Music

Features: Made in Indonesia, year of production is unknown. This signature guitar model is a standard Eclipse shape without any significant differences that I can find. The guitar features 22 XJ frets, 25.5 inch scale, Set-Thru construction, mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, 42mm standard nut, a thin U neck contour, black nickel hardware, ESP locking tuners, Tonepros Locking TOM bridge & tailpiece, two (2x) Seymour Duncan Blackout ABH-1 pickups for both the neck and bridge positions respectively, a custom graphic finish, 3-way toggle switch, master volume knob and finally an On-Off mini switch/killswitch.

Even though I've played mostly Strat-like guitars so far, I never really used the tone knobs on those models, since I preferred to alter the sound through my effects pedals or the pre-amp. Therefore the lack of any tone knobs is not important to me, as it shouldn't be to anyone who aims to achieve the sounds that this guitar can produce. If I could design it from scratch myself, I'd just put 24 frets in it. // 9

Sound: I play contemporary rock, classic rock, metal, heavy metal, some avant garde as well. I played a wide variety of tracks from various artists that I enjoy listening and even tried some that didn't seem to be suitable for this guitar. Even though the 600-EC absolutely nails the obvious choices like Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Black Label Society, Firewind etc., it also performs very well when it comes to other styles of music like Buckethead (well the guitar DOES have a killswitch), Paul Gilbert, Metallica, Megadeth and other more "chunky," thrash music.

What this guitar can't do however is give out some more funky, blues sound. The Blackouts are extremely warm and aggressive, performing excellently with even huge amounts of distortion, but clearly lack on the clean channel, despite the fact that they were designed in an attempt to prevent this typical active pickup behavior. It can be easily noticed that the clean tone lacks in the mid section, even though one can negate that by turning the mids way up on their amp for example. Other than that, this guitar is a metal machine. Throw everything that's heavy and it will perform. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was perfect from the get go, with the action been set as it was supposed to and the pickups were properly adjusted, even though the one on the neck position din't seem to be deeper into the body than the one on the bridge position. No sound level difference was noticed between them. The finish was perfect all around, the locking tuners were working normally and the bridge was ok as well (even though I changed the strings within the first day and generally tampered with the tuners and the bridge to ensure they're firm, I do this every time). What was unsatisfactory was the nut and the way the strings were passing through it. Instead of having relatively deep cuts for the strings, they seemed like they were pretty higher up, since the cuts were tiny. I got it set up by my local technician and that was the only thing he had to fix.

Generally the way that this guitar is designed and made, it will pretty much stay in good condition for a long time in terms of string intonation, action and string stability. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The 600-EC feels like a tank and the set-thru construction really helps in that department! Generally I believe that with proper care (not moving it between places with extreme climate conditions such as extreme temperatures or extremely low levels of humidity) it will last a lifetime. The guitar can withstand live playing even by the most cruel guitarists out there and can be definitely be depended for a gig without any backup. The finish will last as well, but it's kinda glossy, therefore sweaty hands during a gig will start sticking to the top of the body! The hardware is of high quality and will surely function as it's intended for a long time.

As for the strap buttons, with this being a heavy guitar, I switched them out for strap locks and advise doing the same. // 10

Overall Impression: For my taste in music, this guitar covers about 80% of it and that's huge considering I even listen to genres that are beyond the rock/metal/punk group. I've had the 600-EC for about 3 months now and I've really got the style of tones it can produce down. If you are a metal lover and even something a bit outside of these boundaries, this guitar is for you. If you're searching a guitar that can do many genres, you should look elsewhere unfortunately. Would definitely buy another one if it was stolen, broken beyond repair etc, the value for money is very high, especially considering how many other guitars are way overpriced for what they can offer. I just chose this because I needed an electric guitar for metal sounds and the finish really made it stand out to me at least, since it seems to me that everyone and their mother has an Eclipse/Les Paul style guitar nowadays and it certainly delivers. As I stated before, I wish it had 24 frets instead of 22 and in addition I wish the killswitch has a button and not an actual switch, as it would allow for way crazier sounds. // 9

Comments