LTD H-250 review by ESP

ESP: LTD H-250

Purchased from: C and M Music Center

On the 2006 product archives on the ESP site (seen here) the guitar is described as having EMG pickups, but mine just has regualar ESP high output humbuckers. So far I've played in drop D, drop C, C Standard and drop A, and in every tuning my notes are clear and crisp, without any muddiness of any kind. I play mainly death metal and thrash metal, but sometimes I venture into blues and ambient music as well. I use a Randall 120RH half stack with a Boss MT-2 pedal. The other guitars in my collection are the Ibanez RG 350M (yellow), the ESP/LTD MH-53, a Schecter Omen 6 and a Fender Starcaster. This guitar outshines the Ibanez in terms of detuned sounds; it plays better than all my guitars when switched to clean; and it definitely has the leat amount of noise in my collection. Bottom line, this guitar is great for shred, heavy detuned dissonance or blues/rock guitar. Pure versatility. The only gripe I have is that when I engage the coil tap, the single humbucker loses all distortion or bite, and even volume goes out the window. Its basically a mute switch.

As I said, I mainly play metal but when I branch out to blues, rock or ambient stuff I have to have a guitar that can keep up with the changes. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now; again, I own an Ibanez RG350M, ESP/LTD MH-53, a Schecter Omen-6, and a Fender Starcaster, as well as a ESP/LTD f-104 bass and a Ddrum diablo drumset (not sure why the drums mattered, but I'm real proud of my set and feel like mentioning it lol). I wish I'd had a bit more info about the coil-tap configuration before buying this guitar, but I was just as green with my first Floyd Rose setup and I figured it out ok lol. Seeing as this guitar isn't made anymore, if it were lost or stolen I'd definitely have to find this exact one or hunt one down on eBay or amazon. For 200 bucks, its a steal. I compared it to my current collection, a few Ibanez S- and RG- guitars, and a Jackson Dinky guitar. I chose this one because of the fact its not easy to find, its sounds and feels great, and it fits right in to my collection. I wish it had a sweet DiMarzio p/u setup...but I intend to change that soon. Great guitar, overall.

This guitar was made to play live; it's got a great, durable finish that doesn't get all grimy after a long duration of play. The strap buttons are rock solid and I would definitely depend on it. As usual, never gig w/o a backup, but since this guitar has a non-tremolo bridge and solid tuners, the probability of needing your backup guitar is pretty low.

I feel like I got really lucky with this guitar. Like I said, Its four years old and used, but it only has a few dings in it. The finish is obviously tough, having withstood whatever the last owner put it through for about three years. The pickups sound great until you hit the aforementioned coil tap switch, but aside from that they were well adjusted. The strings that were on the guitar worked fine, but I like to know I'm playing Ernie Balls so I switched them out when I got home.

This ESP/LTD H-250 is a discontinued 2006 model guitar. It was made in Indonesia in 2007, and has 24 frets with a Tune-O-Matic stoptail bridge. Its got two high-output humbuckers and a coil tap Switch un the tone knob. that I'm still figuring out how to use to the fullest lol. Its got the typical superstrat body with a see-thru black glossy finish. The binding on the neck, body and headstock really give this guitar a professional look. For a four year old guitar, everythings in mint condition.

sewoo55
    MT in Austin
    The H-250 has "high ouput" EMGs. That's the passive H4 pickups. ESP/LTD does offer many models with EMGs but also offers passive pickups as well. I have an EC-1000 with a Seymour Duncan JB/69 setup. Very sweet sounding guitar but it can bite when needed. There just seems to be a demand for active pickups out there. Personally, I find EMGs to be limited but, if "in your face" is what you are after, they certainly fit the bill.
    v2a2n2g2
    for $200 it's pretty damn gorgeous, don't know bout the sound though, it will probably sound pretty good through a decent tube amp imo
    shaofu0424
    i dig the idea of a "strat" style body with the "gibson" style tail... considering i dont use a whammy bar... looks like a good one to gut and modify...
    Patty-cakez
    sewoo55 wrote: does ESP have an active pickup fetish or something? i hope to see some guitars besides ibanezes that come with dimarzios or sth...
    the cheap ESPs come with passives, cheap passives nonetheless. the EMGs and shit just offer a decent tone regardless of the guitar itself.