LTD H-251FM Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

ESP: LTD H-251FM
 9.3
 9.4
 9.1
 3,492
review (1) 21 comments vote for this gear:
LTD H-251FM Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This is a 2007 ESP LTD H-251FM it was made in Indonesia. The guitar is neck-thru and has a very smooth neck joint. The neck has a 25.5" rosewood fretboard with 24 XJ frets. Body is Agathis witha flamed maple top, Body style is Strat with a TOM and string thru body. Has 2 ESP EMG humbucking pickups (passive) One tone one volume, tone knob is a push pull coil tap. Standard ESP LTD tuning machines. Guitar comes in only one color, it's a see thru black wit white bining around the front of the body as well as neck and headstock. // 10

Sound: This guitar plays beautifully for pretty much any style. I play mostly rock/metal and this thing screams. I'm running it through a Marshal 50 watt amp (sorry I don't have the entire model name right now) and a DigiTech RP150 modeling pedal. The pickups are a little muddy soundin with a lot of overdrive, but they're pretty much typical of any passive humbucker. The harmonics could be a little better, I plan on upgrading the bridge to a dimebucker or even get an EMG active set. overall sound is pretty decent. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came pretty well set up from the factory. There was a slight blemish on the neck binding close to the body, and I found a small crack in the finish between the fingerboard and the neck pickup. The finish I recieved was a little darker than the one I saw online but I expected that, the top looks authentic and doesn't look like a photo or sticker. otherwise the guitar was perfect, really low action, neck was straight and the intonation was perfect, it even arrived in the mail in tune. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar would definately withstand live playing, it seems to be a very well built instrument. The hardware seems to me like it will last, but the finish on them does not, they are chrome plated and I believe that will over time flake off. starp buttons were very solid, but like all of my electric guitars I had them swapped out for strap locks. The finish on the guitar itself seems like it will withstand some pretty rough abuse, it's taken a couple spills since I've had it and the finish has stayed in perfect condition, no chips dings or cracks. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I believe that this is a very well made instrument for the price and I believe that with a few personal improvements (i.e. pickups) this could be an extremely great sounding instrument. I've been playing for about two years, this is my fourth electric guitar, I've owned a Behringer Starter Kit, a Schecter Gryphon, and a Windsong unnamed model. If this guitar were stolen I would most definately buy a new one ASAP. My favorite feature overall on the guitar is the neck thru design, it makes for a very versitile instrument, I haven't yet found anything to hate about it. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD Phoenix-1000 8.6 Electric Guitars 01/22/2016