LTD H-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD H-50

Purchased from: Used, craigslist

The guitar is Bright sounding. With proper EQing, it can be controlled to sound warmer. 2 Humbuckers are silent through a Roland Microcube. The neck humbucker is clear and bright. It has enough gain to do pinch harmonics. The bridge is great for everything else, but it is a bit muddy.

I have been playing since late summer 2009 and I feel the guitar is a great fit for me. My hands do not cramp from the neck being too thin or too big. If this would be stolen, I would definitely try find a upgrade to a higher range guitar. From a beginners point of view, this is a great starting guitar, could of spent less money on it, but its still worth finding it. Teardrop headstock is the best!

I have never played live, but I would upgrade the Tuners/Tune-O-Matic/Nut to higher quality parts if I intend to. Hardware's finish is great, paint is nicer then how it shows up in pictures on the internet. I would stay safe with a backup with the upgrades mentioned. The strap buttons are strong and only needed to be tightened once.

The guitar needed to be setup properly after it was pulled from storage before I bought it. After owning it for half a year, the major changes to the guitar since purchase was only changing the strings and adding a small neck shim to correct action in the upper frets(12-22 frets). The Action is great for a beginner and the stop tail/Tune O Matic is easy to maintain. The guitar stays within relative tuning for hours, but if you were to check a tuner, it will be off by 5 Cents or more after a few hours. There are a few high frets on the low E string side of the neck, but the rest of the frets are excellent. Pickups are easy to adjust. None of the hardware has rusted or had paint falling off, this is excellent feature in Hawaii's humidity. The guitar cable jack will get loose, but I just tighten it with my fingers. After buying it, I just tightened all the tuners and never once had to adjust the truss rod. It feels awkward at first accessing the upper frets, but fret 20-22 is doable.

This is a ESP LTD H-50 from 2006,made in Indonesia. BOLT-ON CONSTRUCTION 25.5 SCALE AGATHIS BODY MAPLE NECK ROSEWOOD FINGERBOARD DOT INLAYS ESP LH-100 PICKUPS VOLUME & TONE CONTROLS W/3-WAY TOGGLE BLACK HARDWARE TUNE-O-MATIC BRIDGE W/STOP TAILPIECE 22 XJ FRETS BLACK CHERRY (BCH)