LTD HEX-7 review by ESP

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
ESP: LTD HEX-7

Price paid: C$ 635

Purchased from: eBay

I'm not a fan of 7 strings (6 string with fat gauge strings tuned B to B sounds infinitely better than a 7 string). Mostly because pickups for 6 string have many more years of development. 6 string EMG 81 produces much more warmth in the tone than the 81-7, which sounds more rigid and bright (comparing mahogany body neck thru Jackson KE2 using EMG 81/85 against the LTD Hex-7 with EMG 81-7/707. Aside from the pickups not sounding as warm as I'd like, the guitar still has plenty of clarity and attack and by no means sounds bad. Currently using a Blackheart BH5 combo and a Rivera 100w Knucklehead Reverb Head, eminence and Vintage 30 speakers respectively. Read a lot of reviews on this site using GARBAGE Amplifiers. These two amps can make ANY guitar sound amazing, therefore all I can add is that this 7 string sounds incredible through a class A tube amp. I enjoy using the tone control to achieve different sounds, so that is one subjective drawback of the sound of the guitar. I cannot (without drilling a hole and wiring a tone pot) alter the tone of the pickups much. The volume seems to work like a tone by cutting down the sharp brightness of the EMGs, but I'd still prefer a tone control. "What kind of sounds can the guitar make? How much variety?" Really? Any guitar can play any style, what a ridiculous question. Comes down to your fingers, not the instrument. I personally play Rock, Punk, and Metal, and I've never been restricted by a guitar. (SG, LP, KingV, Kelly, Soloist, Fusion, Tele, Strat, etc. They can all do the same thing with a slightly different tone. LTD HEX-7 is no different: warm jazz tones, bright clean country twang, and Clear heavy Distortion can all be produced.

Like mentioned earlier I play rock, punk and metal. Rush, Boston, NOFX, Kreator, Carcass, Megadeth, Annihilator, Bloodbath, Arch Enemy, etc. I cover a lot of tunings with the music I play (standard E down to B) but everything is written on 6 strings, so I've been using multiple guitars each with a diff gauge strings and tuned accordingly. Currently all my guitars have OFRs which are a pain in the ass to change the tuning between songs. To remedy this and thin down to a single guitar I chose to find a decent 7 string with decent pickups and a solid bridge. This way a single guitar can cover rush to bloodbath yet still has the majority of characteristics I want in a guitar. I've been playing for 15years and collecting/trading gear for over 10 years. Have owned over 30 different guitars and about 10 amps both solid state and tube. Lots of experience with different sounds and products to compare this LTD against. It is hard to find complete correct specs for this guitar, so I suppose I "Wish" I had asked about the nut because the MH-417 comes with an earvana compensated nut and HEX-7 comes with a piece of lame plastic. The earvana offset nut allows for intonation to be more accurate across the entire fretboard. This means that notes and chords will be much more accurate and in tune regardless of position. It's only about $100 to instal my own earvana nut, luckily the prive on the MH-417 was $200 more than the HEX-7 and did not include a hardcase. If it were stolen or lost I would get an MH-417 instead (granted they werent sold out in north america again). MH has fret markers and a more versatile bodyshape. This is a signature model guitar for Nergal, the "Mustaine" of Behemoth. I personally do not listen to behemoth or am a fan in any sense, which is a plus since this guitar does not have any stupid "autograph" decal anywhere on the guitar. The only link to the contributing artist is the 2 headed eagle crest/chaos inlay and the eagle/chaos symbol on the guitar body. Both are enjoyable to look at, highly detailed, and keep this guitar from being a plain satin black v. As I said earlier I compared this to the myriad of products I've used in the past. The closest comparison would be the ESP RV350ALSCYTHE, both having a thick neck profile, v shaped bodies, EMG brand pickups (though HZ are not active in the ESP). Thinking about it, the EMG HZ passive pickups are more similar in sound to the 81-7 than the 81-7 compared to a regular 81. Why did you choose this one? I was struggling to find any LTD MH-417S in North America, everyone was sold out. Then when I did the online order my credit card info was stolen by a malware program. After getting all that BS worked out the LTD HEX-7 appeared on eBay and was only a days Drive away and was very similar to the MH-417, that's the main reason I bought this guitar... couldnt get an MH-417. + Anything you wish it had? ...again, tone pot and inlays but that is subjective. Overall I give it a 6, room for many improvements, yet far above most guitars out there. To give you an idea of how I rate guitars, I'd give my ESP RV a 9, Les Paul Custom Black Beauty an 7, and Jackson KE2 an 8. I've had many ESP and LTD models and I am always impressed. Even the Indonesian (and other asian makes) are great quality under this brand. After owning many "made in USA" guitars I can say for the hobbyist guitarist an Asian guitar is where it's at, ESPECIALLY ESP/LTD. Stay away from China still.

+ Will this guitar withstand live playing? + Does the hardware seem like it will last? + Are the strap buttons solid? + Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup? Yes + Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? Hard to say since this guitar is very new. Friend has an LTD AX in their satin finish and it is still near mint after 4 years and another buddy has the satin black LTD EC which is even older and the finish still looks great. Having the same finish, I'd claim this one to be just as good and durable. Find that satin is much easier to clean since it does not show any streaking or spots as easily as gloss finishes.

Guitar was purchased off eBay from an ESP dealer, so the guitar was setup by the dealer. Very rare that a guitar is unplayable from a dealer (I've only run into a terrible setup from a private seller). Straight neck, low action, pickup height adjusted well. I won't need to do any adjustments until I change strings/guage from the stock factory ones. Opened the case and was shredding and soloing with ease. Quality for this Korean Guitar amazes me. Even though it was produced in Korea, the quality (in appearance, not woods) matches my ESP Custom shop (Japan) and "feels" higher in quality than my Gibson LP Custom (USA)... Overweight clunky POS.

2011 Korean made LTD HEX-7. - 25.5 inch scale, 24 extra jumbo frets. - Mahogany body, neck through maple neck, rosewood fretboard. Single 2 headed eagle inlay at 12th (Polish crest looking thing) - Flying V shape, similar to a Jackson King V with an ESP F shape headstock. Hangs very well with no neck heaviness, although on a whole the guitar is heavier than most being mahogany. - Tone Pros locking bridge, string through body - Active EMG 81-7 bridge and 707 neck - Single Volume and 3 way switch - ESP brand locking tuners - Came with an ESP form fitted hardshell case - Great 7 string with quality matching my ESP Custom shop RV350ALSCYTHE. - Subjective improvements include fret markers (vinyl decals will work) and an Earvana compensated nut (LTD MH-417 comes with one)

Ibanezbass4life
    KLanh
    "this guitar does not have any stupid "autograph" decal anywhere on the guitar" There's an 'autograph' on the headstock...
    Sakke
    Well, the rates he gave it were too low. The review otherwise was great, but 6 string tuned to B is worse than a 7 string to those who still want that high E for soloing.
    jee5678
    Great review. With regards to the 10s, 6s, 1s, 2s, whatever scores, all I can say is "DON'T CARE DON'T CARE DON'T CARE DON'T CARE." Just read the review; if it's actually informative (which this one is), the scores don't matter as much. With regards to how much time he spent with the guitar, still don't care. I've picked up several guitars and realized they were pieces of shit before I played a note. LOVE the response to the "what kind of sounds can the guitar make, how much variety" question.
    Galvatron
    I have been mulling the puchase of this guitar for the last year or so. The prices I am getting are alot more than the $635 the TS posted though. Good review.
    Kingnichendrix
    jesus, someones writes a all 10 review for a les paul no one cares, someone writes an all 10 review for something that isnt gets flamed unless they score it at the highest an 8... Well done snobs.
    boosted928
    One of the best reviews I've read so far. The 6's don't make me wanna go buy it, but the review you wrote was very informative.
    GruuvMetuhlr
    Surely different guitars will play different styles. Wood choice, pickups, neck and more will change the sound and therefore styles. I kinda stopped reading after that.
    COBHC_Erick429
    dash-rendar wrote: Ibanezbass4life wrote: jeffmetalhead wrote: Finally a review that isn't 10/10. Well written and informative. You, sir, are a bandwagon 10 hater! another 10 hating douchebag! *****, get out Actually, he's got a good point. 9/10 when a guitar review is given 10s all around, the reviewer is a total tool when it comes to guitar playing, OR they've only had the guitar a limited amount of time and think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Later on, they may find something about the guitar they don't like, which would consequently render their review useless to everyone. By NOT having a straight 10 review, it shows that the reviwer actually took some serious time and effort in writing it - finding out issues that they didn't like about the guitar and letting other people know about them up front, as it MAY influence their decision to purchase one or not. So, therefore, if you think this guitar deserves a straight 10, that's your opinion. If you look at my reviews, none of them are straight 10s because I actually sat down and wrote genuine reviews. Guess that makes me a 10 hating douchebag then
    so he played this guitar a long time to take the time and review it? im sorry, i thought i read "Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? Hard to say since this guitar is very new." if the guitar is new, then he must have jsut recently bought it. therefor, did not take the time to explore it as much as you state he has.
    pigeonmafia
    '6 string with fat gauge strings tuned B to B sounds infinitely better than a 7 string' Um, what...
    dash-rendar
    Most_Triumphant
    "What kind of sounds can the guitar make? How much variety?" Really? Any guitar can play any style, what a ridiculous question. Not really, this guitar can't do blues or jazz very well. Before you start hating me, yes I have used it before, I have a friend who owns one.
    GibsonMan321
    I laughed because I thought that the straight 6's were a reference to the "devil's number" 666 and the fact that Nergal from Behemoth plays this guitar. I see I'm mistaken.
    Shinozoku
    By the way, a note to the reviewer. You may enjoy having a 707 in the bridge position as well, as the Alnico magnet will make it a bit warmer. Also try the 18 volt mod on it. The reason the Hex-7 is brighter is likely the fact that the pickups and strings are both attached to/vibrating over maple, which is much brighter than mahogany.
    Ibanezbass4life wrote: I think the reviewer is kind of an idiot (why the hell would you get a 7 string if you don't like them??), but i LOVE the look of the guitar though! looks amazing!, looks like a TEN to me!
    because he wanted an instrument that he could play something in standard tuning on, as well as something that he can go lower on if needed without having to retune or change guitars. Why don't you AND ProgJazzMath use your brains and read the rest of the review before passing judgement?
    EpiExplorer
    Thorough, but the thing about the 6 sounding better than 7 seems a little off. Considering most 7 strings are designed for B standard then surely it'd sound a little more 'natural' in a sense? Like, the glove fitting the hand, tuning wise. Although it probably is down to pickups, always need actives if going lower than A.
    ProgJazzMath
    I agree. The reviewer should have used his brain before purchasing this guitar. If you want a tone knob, THEN GET A GUITAR THAT HAS ONE. There are plenty of 7 strings you could have purchased that have that knob.
    Ascendant
    Great review, and nice to see ESP cranking out some more 7-strings. Feels like that market has been dominated by Schecter and Agile for too long.