LTD JH-600 review by ESP

ESP: LTD JH-600

Purchased from: Zzounds

Neck-Through Construction. Alder body with 24 fret ebony/maple neck. It has standard strap buttons, which I switched to a clip-lock strap. Grover tuners, and a first for me was an awesome Hybrid Kahler bridge that I really tried to make go out of tune. In my opinion, your can really crush on the Kahler as opposed to the Floyd Rose. Normal Volume/Tone/Toggle switch. I Keep the Kahler locked most times for lack of use in my recent band, but it is an incredible unit for a capable whammy lover.

Comes with the active EMG 81-85, thick tone, and I think it could be very versatile, but for the style I play hardcore/metal, it's my absolute favorite sound. Almost all my other guitars are loaded with the 81-85 setup, but this guitar allows me to control the tone of the bridge 81 (that I use the most) better than any other guitar I've used. Great sustain, and even better for me when I switched to a 10 gauge string. Usually I use 11-52, but I found it was very difficult to string on the fly. The Kahler bridge does not like a heavy gauge low string.

It came with a lot higher action than I like, but that is more personal preference, and was very easy to set up. The thinner frets took a little getting used to, I really like a jumbo fret, but no big deal, they definitely helped to speed up my chord work, and didn't effect any of my solo work. Looks pretty basic, but cool. My favorite kind of body style, I believe It was modeled after Jeff Hanneman's favorite Jackson Soloist. I don't like a lot of flash, so it's perfect for me. Comes in the solid black finish.

I've played 2-3 shows with it, and 4 Festivals so far this year. No complaints at all, and so far very dependable. Not too heavy for long sets. I can't see, or hear any reason why it won't last. I will be on European tour in February, and it will get put through the ringer for sure. I will add to this review after I get a few more miles on it. I've never broke a string live, but I've noticed when changing them out, the Kahler bridge locks to fixed, and really makes string changes lightning fast.

I bought the JH-600 on a heavy recommendation from a great friend & guitarist. I bought it solely to be used as a backup guitar, but it is now my main guitar, and the others just sit around. Amazing. Only reason the Overall impression rating is a 9, is an 11 gauge string is very difficult when changing strings. I switched to a 10 because of this. This guitar was ordered through Zzounds, and did not come with a case, little bit of a bummer, but getting a case with any guitar these days seems rare.