LTD KH-202 review by ESP

ESP: LTD KH-202

Purchased from: can't remember!

There is none of that annoying buzz when you put it into distortion. Infact, through my line 6, it is completely silent. My style is hard rock and metal so this guitar is perfect for my style. On the distortion channel it is brilliant and is gives a very strong sound. However when you put it on clean, the sound is not so great but that isn't what this guitar is for.

I play largely on the distortion channel so it is perfect for my metallica style playing. If it were to be stolen or whatever I would probably end up with a Fender Stratocaster as my playing has slightly changed since I bought it and fenders have brilliant sound and can withstand a lot of hits. (I have had a squire for about 6 years and has been thrashed and is still going strong, even if it is cheap and sounds a bit crap) Overall it is the best guitar for and improver who play's heavy rock or metal but can be fustrating at times.

This guitar, behind all the wacky skulls and stuff is actually very delicate. I accidently hit it against a wall while playing and damaged the jack. If it was something like a Stratocaster it wouldn't have been a problem because it is not right at the tip of the guitar. Some wires inside has had to be resoldered (a few times before hitting it) and now it is on its last thread and I will get it replaced. The neck pickup has kind of sunken down which hasn't happened on any other of my guitars. I would however (and have) play live without a backup because it is other wise very sturdy and has withstood some major falls. If a string broke live I would be a bit screwed though...

The guitar was very well set up and all I had to do was lower the action slightly and it was fine. Some instructions on string changing would have been nice as I had no idea what to do as I had never had a locking nut before.

I bought the guitar in january of 2008 and it was made in china. It has a Floyd Rose tremelo bridge with fine tuners because of the locking nut. It has a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard which has 24 frets and skull and crossbone inlays which look pretty cool. The pickups are EMG hz passive pickups and a 3 way pickup selector. The locking nut is good as it never really goes out of tune but is a pain when you want to tune down or want to change the strings.