LTD KH-602 review by ESP

ESP: LTD KH-602

I mainly play Metallica, so this is the perfect guitar for me. It sounds awesome! I will admit the EMG's sound a little fuzzy on clean channels unless you have the gain turned down low and also the volume knob on the pick-ups turned down low. It is still an awesome sounding guitar.

I am extremely pleased with this guitar! I have been playing since junior high, and I've owned two other electric guitars, and two acoustics, and this is by far the best quality one I've owned. I would say that the 2008 models were a better buy for the buck simply because the Floyd Rose is better than the 1000 series. And since I bought this used, paying less than 600 for this guitar with case was a steal! If this guitar was stolen, I'd hunt down the person that stole it, and steal it back. Or I would buy it once I saved up the money for it. I also prefer the 08 models because of the dual 81s instead of the 81/60s so I'd probably buy used again.

From what I've seen of the guitar its very reliable and solid! The Floyd Rose works amazingly! EMGs are great pickups! The strap buttons seem to be very sturdy, I'd imagine the strap is the only weak link you'd have to worry about. I mainly play sitting, so I haven't really tested this out. Like I said earlier, the volume and tone knobs are great, they work well, they don't seem loose, and I like the look of them. And the paint seems pretty thick, I haven't noticed any thin spots, so I imagine the paint will stand the test of time.

I bought this guitar used, so I'm not sure how well it came set up from the factory. From the looks of it, the original owner must have played it only a couple times. There is litterally one or two scratches on the entire thing. I've seen a couple store display models that had loose volume or tone knobs, this one does not. The Floyd Rose holds a tune for days if the guitar is just sitting in its case. Even after playing for a couple hours, it still holds a tune. You can see on the body where they glued the pieces of wood together, because there are slight lines showing through the paint. However, I don't consider this to be too bad because it doesn't affect functionality. The tuners on the guitar are solid, but with the locking Floyd Rose, they really don't make a difference. I broken one of the strings between the tuners and locking screws, and the guitar is just fine. That string is still in tune. LOL The neck is awesome on this guitar. It really lends to playing fast and moving up and down the fret board without any difficulty. Also, there is not any fret buzzing across the entire fret board which is very nice!

I bought this guitar used from Guitar Center, and man was it a great deal. Its a 2008 so it has the EMG active 81's instead of the 60/81 combo. Also the 2008 had a Floyd Rose Original Bridge, instead of the Floyd Rose 1000 found on 2009 and newer guitars. This is a Korean made guitar, its an LTD so it comes off the assembly line, although it is very well put together. It has 24 jumbo frets, and is a neck through body design. Also it has 2 volume and 1 tone knob compared to other LTD models that only have 1 knob for each. The guitar I bought included a hard-shell case, with all the correct allen wrenches for the Floyd Rose. If you buy this guitar new, you won't get the case included in the price.