LTD KH-602 review by ESP

ESP: LTD KH-602

Price paid: € 1173

Purchased from: Thomann Cyberstore

All I have to say is that this guitar really suits me. It has a great tone, you can play pretty much anything with it but, since the pick-ups are active, it's on its turf when being used as a metal guitar. I play metal, heavy metal - thrash metal, some death metal, and it does the job excellent. I'd describe it as having a rich sound, EMG pups are very quiet. EMG 60 gives it a darker sound for rhythm. I personally like it. If you are a versatile metal-head player that occasionally plays rhythm cleans (like Metallica does), look no further for a guitar. This guitar is made to rock, it's Kirk Hammett' s guitar, you can't expect any less than excellent.

This is the guitar for me.I've been playing it for a year and it sounds awesome. If it were stolen or lost, I'd buy it again. I hate it that it gets very dirty and fast, but, nothing is perfect. Now, sometimes I wish it had an EMG 85 instead of an EMG 60, because some songs need a brighter pick-up. Still, some songs would need a darker pick-up. Damn, they should have made it with three pick-ups. For me, it's the best guitar evah!

It's built to last. This guitar can last a lifetime. The only thing I can say is that you need to pay attention to the pick-up battery. Now, I always play with a backup, not because the guitar isn't reliable, but anything can happen. A string could snap and I'd rather change the guitar than the string. It stays perfectly in tune.

It was set up pretty good, a slight buzz on the first 3 frets of the E string.Pick-ups were adjusted properly.I did not study it properly, though, because, as I got it, I had a friend take it apart and set it up on the spot. It didn't have any flaw, though. It was spotless. Floyd rose could be annoying when drop tuning, but, I kind of blocked it driving 2 screws through the balance weight so that it can't be pulled. I take them out before I play somewhere, though.

This baby is an alder body, 3 piece through body maple neck, rosewood fretboard combination. EMG 60 in the neck position and EMG 81 in the Bridge position. It comes with a Floyd Rose 1000 series bridge. You've got a tone control knob and pick-up volume knobs and a 3 way Switch to Switch between Bridge, neck and both.