LTD M-100FM review by ESP

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
ESP: LTD M-100FM

Purchased from: Tara Music Store, Jonesboro, GA

Suits my style well, I play rythym, and it gives a good punch, with a fair variety of tones, I have tested it with two digitech pedals, models unknown, a pandora PX3 effects processor, a Boss D-1 distortion pedal, and two different Fender Amps. It is noisy if set to the bridge only position, but only if gain and reverb are up on the amp, other than that it is pretty subdued. Mostly a rich and heavy, full sound, but you can coax a bright tone form it occasionally, due to the uncovered pickups. Fairly Diverse range of sounds, it would be more diverse if it had another tone and a few more stops on the selector Switch, but it serves well for basic functionality, and for outlining tones.

Been playing 7 years, have a Schecter C-1 classic, a digitech Pedal, Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, two Fender amps, a korean made guitar that i got for free, and an Ibanez PF series acoustic guitar. If it were stolen i think i may buy a replacement, as this guitar is a fairly good guitar, especially for 280 bucks. I love the humbuckers and the floyd rose. I dislike the lack of more tone control. My favorite feature is the FLAT RADIUS FRETBOARD. I wish it had more tone control, maybe another selector, active pickups, a coil splitter (im gonna hot-rod it :)) An overall decent guitar, good for any lead or rythym player who wants a humbucker charged kick.

This guitar is not a thrash machine. I have had one pickup reset, as it sidled loose, and i have had the fret bar fixed as well, but that was a shipping accident. The hardware has lasted, except that there is a little rust on one of the allen nuts where the allen wrench has scraped the nut from locking/unlocking the frets, but they can be replaced. The finish is definitely strong, and still there after I have scratched it up due to not haveing a pickguard on it. The straps stay on forever, and the buttons are solid. It can be depended on, stays in tune well. I don't think I would use it wihout a backup though, as it may be damaged by antics onstage. It is fairly well made, but seems a bit fragile.

Action is perfectly executed, retains tunings even on alternate and downtuned strings, pickups are adjusted well, top and floyd rose are set well, no finish errors. The guitar did contain one flaw when I got it. Apparantly, during the trip from the factory, the fret bar became dislodged, and as a result the action was high as hell. But I had the problem corrected and the guitar plays like a dream now, as it was set up to do. There are no other flaws on the guitar.

Made back in 1998 24 frets, 23.25" scale. Solid top, no pickguard. Tone control, Volume control, 3 way selector Switch. H/H pickups I believe they are LTD humbuckers, they come standard on whatever guitars ESP produces in the LTD line. Passive electronics. Body is basswood, neck is maple back with rosewood fretboard and fingerboard. Finish, laminated Solid color, no pickguard. Body Stlye is Strat style Bridge, Floyd Rose w/ locking tremelo um..; I don't exactly know the make of tuners, they are non-locking at the headstock, but can be locked at the neck and tuned with the floyd rose too. Neck is regular 24 fret 23 3/4" scale, Rosewood, Maple back. Came with strap and cable (he threw in the cable cause I bartered with him). inverted headstock, also.

RegicideBand
    ^ big rant much? I rate the sound 10 because that's what it should get! Im not "oh so wishing" to get EMG's, I just said in planning on it just for preference. I do not bias my review. Even though I prefer a.p. To p.p. The sound is still great. And in case you didn't fully read my review, mine has a basswood body, just like all the 2008+ models. I enjoy basswood even though it being a cheap wood. I wasnt looking a mahogany guitar, seeing how I already have one.and you also don't have to tell me either that its a licensed F.R. As I'm already quite aware. But, It doesn't bother me, as I said in my review; it's not that hard if you actually know what your doing. Im not rating this guitar by comparing to other (OBVIOUSLY HIGHER END) ESP's. As I think that LTD's can play just as good for half the price. Maybe not built as good but still. Thanks for TRYING to correct me. It's an unbiased review. So. I'm reviewing like that
    palkosik
    After 6 years of using this one, I can say: CRAP! Can't even tune this thing. Guitar Help told me: Buy a new one. It's OK for a first guitar, but after a year, max two, just buy a real thing.
    EddieRowan
    Just recently traded for this. The neck was falling off, the pivot joints were messed up, and the tremolo system was falling apart. Owner had no idea what he was doing. Took it to a shop, got it fixed up, and now it plays amazingly. I love how the neck is thin enough for speed, but not so thin that it takes away that extra "umph!" in playing. Once again ESP delivers another masterpiece.
    Buty
    im trying to decide between the m-100fm and the m-103, any advice on which is better
    Buty
    barracuda939 : guys plz help me out. the fella who was selling this axe to me said that u cant replace the existing set of pickups! but then a u guy over here has mentioned that he replaced the stock pickups with an EMG81/85 set!.. is it possible to do that. Can any1 advice me on the same? plz plz reply Ya of course you can, can get whatever pickups you want and put em in
    Morbius77
    barracuda939 wrote: guys plz help me out. the fella who was selling this axe to me said that u cant replace the existing set of pickups! but then a u guy over here has mentioned that he replaced the stock pickups with an EMG81/85 set!.. is it possible to do that. Can any1 advice me on the same? plz plz reply
    Yeah the guy that told you that does not know what he is talking about. You can replace the pickups in ANY guitar...
    ItalianTank
    I got this guitar in trans red. The finish is badass. The neck feels great and the stock pups arent bad either. I put a dimebucker in it and now she screams. This guitar plays well and sounds great with the dimebucker. The licensed floyd is a little rough compared to most that ive played, but that was remedied with a little wd40 under the microtuners. After dailing her all in I would have to say she's an 8-9. Best bang for around 300 for sure, and easy to mod.
    carlosthegr8
    i ordered this guitar on thursday now i cant wait for to arrive i paided 228 + 10post and packaging, thats a good price because i saw the same guitar for like 300
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    I give my Ibanez gax 30 and a bonus 200$ for this one... If anyone dares to send it to croatia then let me know...
    Skillet_Panhead
    I got the See-through cherry finish and I love this guitar to death. It's worth way more than its price. Although I jacked up my locking nut (the nut itself AND the screws, cuz I'm a Floyd Rose noob)...but it's an incredible guitar.
    BFMV fan
    one of the pickups died, and my whammy bar fell out, so i'd give it a 7-6, but its pretty good
    rv_phoenix
    A 10 for the sound, when the author of the review recognizes himself to be ready to replace the pickups??? Then how much would he have been rating the guitar if factory-provided with the EMGs he's wishing so much? A 26? Let's put the things in a reasonable order. ESPs are good guitars. I don't mind they are designed with metal in mind: if a guitar is good for metal, it means it's good for almost all the other rock genres as well. But LTDs versions of the ESPs are cheap, folks! They are made in Asia (Korea or, more recently, China), from low-cost materials. I really wonder how does it sound an agathis body in a metal guitar: agathis is a wood with good resonance in highs, but not perfect in harmonics and quite bland in lows. Otherwise, it's good for genuine 3 single coil Strats, not for 24 frets - 2 humbucker metal guitars. It can't have too much of sustain, and sustain is fundamental in all metal styles. Then come the pickups and the hardware. "Special" Floyd Rose is just an euphemism, often used to disguise a first-generation licensed FR. Bulk, heavy, tricky to adjust, prone to breaking strings. Stock pickups may sound good if made in the USA and installed on a guitar made in a better wood. If made in China, on an agathis guitar... hmmmm!, it would be a wonder to have a good sound. All in all, LTDs are decent guitars, but the ratings are exaggerated. This one, for instance, is just an "utility" guitar and, given the peculiar wood (used because it's cheap in Asia, not because it's good), it would be difficult to mod it in a proper way. A 8,4 overall? That's more than real ESPs! You should decrease it at least 1 point, to come closer to truth.
    SmashAudio
    rv_phoenix wrote: This one, for instance, is just an "utility" guitar and, given the peculiar wood (used because it's cheap in Asia, not because it's good), it would be difficult to mod it in a proper way. A 8,4 overall? That's more than real ESPs! You should decrease it at least 1 point, to come closer to truth.
    all valid points, but, here in Australia, you can pick one up for less than half the street price of a new one, that someone has had decent pickups installed (be it the neutral tone of the EMG's or something nicer). the price point is what gives it the high rating. it with emg's in it, it definately sounds, and plays (something that by the looks of what you wrote, you've neither done, nor heard...fair enough, you have your opinion) like a guitar worth twice as much. jackson soloist? nope. but up there with the best of the lawsuits.
    carlosthegr8
    flanker_n94
    carlosthegr8 wrote: i own this guitar. it's good but i cant keep the bastard floyd in tune so i cant play the guitar atm >
    hey kid.do what i do. 1.cut out triangle-shaped wood 2.loosen the springs till the bridge tilted upwards a bit. 3.put the triangular wood between the back of the sustain block and the body(block it).dial it in until the brdge is perfectly parallel to the body. 4.tune/restring/intonate that baby. 5.remove the triangular wood. 6.tighten the spring till it back in tune. people should understand the floyd rose system before they buy a fr guitar.for your info,this is my electric guitar so it is also my first FR equipped guitar.the salesmen doubt me buying this guitar.they try to tune this guitar but its not perfect.well,its all come to common sense people.think it out.understand and work it out.
    Synyster430
    Can someone help : I have a choice between the ESP LTD M-100 FM and the Ibanez RG320 FM. Helppp
    flanker_n94
    If i am u,i go for the ESP Ltd M100FM.I've tried both guitars.M100Fm fret job is better-smoother,slippier(smoother bends)and more consistence.the frets are high so i feel less resistance from the fretboard.The pickups are clearer with a lot of character.has rich jazzy clean when the tone knob and volume are rolled back.nice aggressive highs and great palm mute 'chungs'.Floyd rose special is better and and easier to tune that egde 3.To me this guitar doesn't sounds and look boring.what it lacks is sustain(1.5 sec only on 1st strings at 15th fret).btw ,try it out.interpret which one suits your playing better
    darktahmi21
    Holy Crap. This guitar can take one hell of a beating. I honestly don'tthink I could break it if I tried. This hardware will be around longer than I will be. Perfect strap buttons.I would us this baby in a gig without back up if my life depended on it. I could grind picks onto the finish all day and nothing would happen.
    Seriously made me laught dude... you're hilarious...
    RegicideBand
    Also though I do agree with you saying the sound sound be lowered. I must have forgot that when rating (as when I mention it in the features I nock the rating down to a 9, for the 1 thing I didn't like) the sound probably should be a 8.5, sorry if I came off the wrong way (because you were ultimitly trying to correct most of my review)
    barracuda939
    barracuda939
    Im confused between the following guitars.Please help me make a choice Ibanez GRG270DX ESP MH 50 ESP M100 FM Greg bennett Avion AV 6
    a7xtdmaster
    gpderek09 if u want your input jack to stop coming loose buy a new one they r fairly cheap i had the same problem with my bc rich i replaced it and now i have no problems
    if.i.could.fly
    i got this baby a few weeks ago. totally in love. pups are amazing for stock and the floyd is amazing. perfect for shredding, heavy riffing and once agen, i love it! :-D
    Rock_On891
    ive had this guitar for about 3 months and its one of the best guitars ive played so far rock on \m/ (-. \m/
    Hanger 17
    Im lookin at this for a floyd and 24 frets, but iv found this cheapo guitar that has a original floyd rose, is made out of alder, has a quilted maple top, 24 frets. Im just wondering about the quality though...is this guitar worth the extra money?
    fleh
    sum1 sed the trem bar got in the way of der hand but thats easily adjustable from behind with an allen key (possibly just turrn by hand) hard to explain but ttake ur back plate off and youll c whati mean. u just let the trem bar go further in to the body
    Spirit_Crusher
    does anyone know if a floyd rose original will fit on this guitar? i recently got a OFR for my bc rich but it doesn't fit, and since i need a backup guitar w/ a floyd anyway i figure i'll just put the OFR on it. anyway the reason i'm asking this is i heard somewhere that OFR fit perfectly on LTD guitars but i want to make sure.
    arowana1027
    Yes, an OFR will fit. I have this guitar and put an OFR and Rockfield Fatass pup in the bridge, and a Mafia in the neck. Also has a push/pull volume knob for splitting the coils, and 3 off on mini toggles. The slide switch got trashed.
    chimera2510
    I have had this guitar for over a year now with no problems. The pickups are great but ther is no harm in putting in some EMG's Or Seymors
    jtbull
    I am thinking about either ltd mh-50, mh-100, mh-103, ibanez rg-120 or Ibanez RG2EX1. I am wondering which is the best and wear each is made. I know i am not getting made in the usa for my buget but I do not buy made in china when i can help it. I used to play in the 1990s and am just starting to pick it back up. I have a peavy tracer from 1991 that i added a ibanez edge tremelo too. I am mostley into kiss, motley crue and 1980s medal.
    SL!!!
    "It sounds great clean. Has no buzz or hum." yeah...it has humbuckers...lol. LTDs are usually pretty good guitar for the money. Really the only complaint i have about them is the cheap wood the bodies are made out of.
    Fast_Fingers
    Supposedly (according to their website) the 50's and 100's are basswood, so that shouldn't be an issue anymore. As for the licensed Floyd...
    Majes
    They start making them from basswood from the 2008 or so they claim. Before it was agathis, with maple top on higher models up to 400.
    Mushroom08
    i just got this guitar last week.. got it left handed.. and 3 strings broke already.. everything is great about it.. just the licensed floydrose.. ill probably seek an original or a schaller floyd after i get some seymour duncan blackouts or EMGs. other than the floyd its an allout fan ****ing tastic guitar XD
    Baasoromyuu
    Anyone played this and an Ibanez GRG170DX? They're about the same price (this one's $40 more for where I'd get it from, probably americanmusical.com), which one is better?