LTD M-100FM review by ESP

ESP: LTD M-100FM

Purchased from: Audiomusica (Viña del Mar)

I play a lot of music. Pop Rock, New Wave, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Alternative Rock, Grunge, Latin Rock, Progressive Rock, Progressive Metal, Alternative Metal, Rap Metal, etc. I play with a Vox Valvetronix VT30 that suits my needs and sounds very nice. It is a little noisy with hi-gain settings but it is noticeably quieter than my Squier Strat It sounds nice with hi-gain, it can do all the "chugga chugga" that I want and solos Shine but on cleaner settings it doesn't sound so clean. The pickups are very hot so clean sounds are hard to get, even on the cleanest channel on my VT30 there is a little gain coming out of it so I will swap the pickups when I can.

I said before the styles that I play. Even if the guitar is focused on Metal I can play almost all of those styles with it (the pickups are a little hot for some styles). I've been playing like 3 years and a half and this is my second guitar. My first guitar is a Squier California Stratocaster with 3 single coils that are very noisy with any hi-gain setting. Before buying the guitar I looked for the serial number because all the LTD M-100FM made before 2008 were made of agathis and all the 2008 and 2009 models are made of basswood and I think that I made the right decision. If it were stolen I will look for another guitars anyways but if it were the best guitar in my price range, I would buy it again. I tried a Washburn X-42 model (if I remember correctly) that was nice but a little out of my range, a LTD M-103FM that I didn't like the neck single coil and a JEM JR that didn't like too much. My favorite feature is the floyd that is very nice for a guitar in this price range (better than an Edge III) and my least favorite feature is the neck pickup that is way too hot for my taste. Anyways great guitar for its price, make sure to try it to see if you like it and make sure it doesnt't have any big flaw.

The guitar seems to last, it looks and feel solid. The strap buttons looked nice but I changed them for some Dunlop Straplocks for security. The hardware looks solid but I will swap the pickups for some DiMarzio when I have the oportunity. I think that I could use it without a backup but anyways I will like to have a backup guitar for anything. The finish looks nice and solid, I think it will last.

Well, the guitar wasn't set up at all, the action was a little higher than usual. The bridge pickup was lower than the neck pickup when I got it but all those things were fixed by myself. The Floyd Rose special was a problem when I got it, it didn't stay in tune when I use the tremolo at all but since I change the stock strings for an Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys it stays in tune a lot better. The only thing about the floyd is that when I go up with the tremolo the guitar goes out of tune but if I go down like doing a dive bomb the guitar goes back in tune. The neck is very nice, it feels good and is easier to play fast and the access to the higher frets its comfortable. The guitar came with a problem with the switch, when I moved to the bridge pickup position the guitar almost didn't sound but on the middle position and the neck position the guitar sounded nice. I had to go with the warranty to fix the problem and the luthier in front of me fixed the switch that was a dirty and loose, since that the guitar didn't any problem.

The guitar was made on 2008, the serial number says an L that means the factory where was made but I don't know what L is. It should be somewhere around Asia. It has: -24 Jumbo frets -25.5 scale -Maple neck -Rosewood fretboard -Basswood body -Flamed maple top -Strat style body -Dark red finish -Floyd Rose Special bridge -2 passive ESP LH-150 stock humbuckers -1 volume, 1 tone and a 3-way switch -Non locking tuners It came with some allen keys and 009 strings but nothing special.