LTD M-200FM review by ESP

ESP: LTD M-200FM

Purchased from: Steve's Montrel

The EMG's are quiet and are fit for metal, plain and simple. Very percussive but no nuance, it's no good for blues or classical, but come on, I mean look at it it has a reversed headstock and it's badass. No wonder it's for metal. Actually, for rhythm guitar these are the pickups, but for lead playing. Let's say they cut it but they don't go over and above.

Well I basically need an upgrade from my Epiphone Gothic SG, to a 24-fret thin neck shredding guitar. I went to music store and tried all their 24-fret guitars in the price range and this I just kept on trying again and again. I've been playing for 3 years and my style is definetely metal. I'm going to replce the pickups with Bill Lawrence L500's, and to the pawn shops go the EMG's. I own a Marshall Valvestate 100w amp, a bunch of pedals such as a Crybaby Wah, Boss Digital Delay and Harmonizer, etc. the list is long and boring. I also own a Jackson DKMG.

Everything here is fine. Very well put together and the finish is outstanding so far. Very solid axe.

One thing that bothered me was the fact that I got no allen's wrench to unlock the nuts and mess with the bridge. That was easy to find though, the hardware store next door had some. Pickups are also kinda close to the strings, since they aren't relly fixed they tend to tilt on an axis and touch the strings. But really, that was an esy fix that any idiot off the street could apply to their guitar.

Very nice super Strat body shape, its made of agathis, witch seems to have a rather bad reputation, neck-thru body which is a plus. No mistakes in the finish, all is perfect. Action was too high when bought but that was an easy fix. You get a volume and tone control (all you really need IMO) with a coil tap that lets you use one or both the EMG's in single coil mode. Perfect for playing "Little wing". The tuners and all other little gizmos were all excellent.

sewoo55
    ldnovelo2
    they are called pickups, not microphones(well thats they're true name, and he uses EMG 81s in neck and bridge
    espltdplayer93
    I'm getting one of these for sure and putting zakk wylde Emg 81-85s in it and was wondering if u have to replace the stock electronics when u swap passive pickups with actives because of the coil tap
    Realturka
    A lot of people say that the hardware (especially the FR)is PAINTED black. Paint. It comes off as you play. Real fast. Source: music123.com musiciansfriend.com
    Eddie's'Waitor
    Is this guitar good for doing solos and impro ? How does it compare on all aspects to a Ibanez RG 350 say ?
    jyomama33
    i just got this guita for $530.00 and i luv it! the only problem is that when i whammy, the locks dont hold the tning to well =( its also in urban camo, which is sic! =) i find it better then my friends B.C "bich" but that cant go clean it sounds bad. i got a M-11 Metal cpre distortion pedal and it sounds so good! greatest guitar ever!
    A.D.E(666)
    I just bought this guitar and get it tuesday (had to order), and i expect great things from it. In my decision it was a ibanez mtm2 or this and there are two main reasons why i bought this. 1) With the extra money i can buy actives next week. (blackouts)!!!!! 2) i played the KH-202 at my shop for about two weeks (same guitar). And it was godly, i sat there and dive bombed for hours and never once went out of tune. And true, the pick ups suck (WAY TO MUCH FEEDBACK), but again i get actives. The next is The heel and depth you can get on the m-200, that alone kicks the crap out of ibanez) i get to 18 and still play unbelivable smooth. And i like the thinner neck
    perkristian876
    Any of you dudes know that Kirk Hamett has the same michrophones in some of his guitars? in some of his LTD signature models there are a set of EMG-ESP LH-300
    SGstriker
    sewoo55 wrote: THEY ARE NOT EMGs!!! just becuz its active doesn't mean they're EMG pickups... they are ESP LH-301
    Mine aren't even active. And I have the exact same guitar.
    shredder408
    with every1 whining about the floyd going out of tune id love to know what strings theyre using..? good reviews tho people, im realy considering getting this guitar for my budget
    Iusevs
    one thing that's gonna affect tuning is if your strings are broken in yet. i mean seriously, if you put new strings on it and it goes out of tune, that is completely normal, even with a string-thru bridge. Just because it goes out of tune does not mean the trem is junk.
    Addzam
    I tried active emg's for the first time... I was really disappointed =/ they didn't sound half as good as I thought they would so thats why i bought this guitar. The quality is VERY high and the pickups are actually good as well. But i might change them for sum SD's later on. Don't let the "cheap" pickups fool you if you are planning on getting this and the trem DOES keep it in tune, don't worry 'bout that.
    dale-banez
    it looks like an original would fit, idk maybe you would have to chisel a little out I'll check once I get mine
    ESPM200
    This guitar is awsome the only bad thing is it dont have active emgs but for the price you cant beat it.
    nirvanarox
    Hey...if u were 14 and had no income...and has been playing guitar for 2 years...and wants a M-200 or 400...what one..would u pick? And when some guy said...went out of tune quickly....how often did u have to tune it?
    pierce34celtic
    MESAexplorer
    U.P
    MESAexplorer wrote: pierce34celtic wrote: agathis, licensed floyd rose, and EMG HZ's for 420.00, versus a used RG 5xx, edge pro, basswood, wizard neck, HSH for $300-400. I think that definitely beats it. Ehh, the Ibanez that are the 5xx series are $500+, and more for shredding, they have a different tone and better tremolo. Depends on what floats your boat, I prefer Ibanez, but I'd take an MH-400 any day : )
    Yep, you should save up and get an mh400 with active electronics.
    american-psycho
    that first guy said they're EMG pickups, thats what the catalogue says too but when i saw one in the shop it had ESP pickups that sorta look like EMG's and are licenced but they're nothing special they're pretty *****y next to real emg's
    BeastBoy4
    will-loves-zep
    also does anyone know that if i wanted to install a floyd rose original rather than the liscensed 1 you get with this guitar would it fit in the hole?
    d_v_a_tor
    I bought the M-200 FM a few months ago. It goes out of tune so much it is incredible. I find myself needing to retune it almost constantly, and I leave whammy bar off most of the time. I have switched into EMG 85-81s and can say that I sometimes think I preferred the passive HZs. One other problem I have with this is that the sustain is pretty poor IMO for a neckthrough.
    SOUPerman432321
    everyone says the floyd rose on theirs is cheap and the guitar goes out of tune. I guess I got lucky I haven't tuned mine in like 2 weeks its still perfect. But i guess it could be I use heavier gauge strings.
    SOUPerman432321
    BeastBoy4 wrote: About the pickups, the website says ESP-EMG LH#))'s, which are infact licensed, and I don't htink it sounds half bad. BUT, next to the passiv EMG's they're modeled on, American-Psycho was right, they sound pretty shitty.
    i hav an old one so they arent LH-300's mine are HZ's which are better the newer model isnt as good
    Matt.Chavie
    He said the EMG's are muddy clean. I have a Jackson with an 81 and 85, and it's really glassy,unless muddy and glassy are the same which IMO would make no sense.
    The_Man_IV
    the durability with this guitar aint all that great lost the tone knob after a month use no gigging with it and the tuners are very loose (on the head)
    Insane Esp
    Dude the kirk hammet model owns this one, its got the same shape but a lot better and a bit more expensive only like 30 bucks tho
    will-loves-zep
    did anyone have problems with tuning when they first brought this guitar? if so did they clear up?