LTD M-200FM review by ESP

ESP: LTD M-200FM

Purchased from: Musicians friend

The sound is decent. You get a dark tone but this guitar. I played this guitar through a Fender 100 watt combo and a Marshall half stack and got similar tones, not very good ones. Through a tube amp, this guitar sounds decent but it's made for more metal tones, not very versatile.

I play speed/power metal and neoclassical shred and for awhile, this guitar was fine. But as I've matured in my guitar playing, this guitar is like a pair of jeans that you grow out of, after like 2 years, it's time to upgrade. I wouldn't buy another one of these if anything happened to this I'll tell you that. I just wish it had a better floyd rose, like an Ibanez ZR or Edge Pro and I wish it had better pickups and a slimmer neck. If it did, then it'd be great. But for the price, this a decent mid-range intermediate guitar.

The only real credit I can give this guitar is the durability of this guitar. From falls and spills and drops, this guitar is still alive. I've played in metal bands with this guitar and and it's really reliable. The finish is Bullet-proof, though ESP decided to put the same finish on the neck as well, annoying! The strap buttons cause me lots of problems and the Floyd Rose never stays in tune.

When I got this guitar, the action was very, very low and quick adjustments fixed it. The strings were tuned to standard as usual and there weren't any defects at all (good job MF). The finish is Bullet proof but the downside is that the finish is also on the neck.

The ESP LTD M-200 FM features an agathis body with a flamed maple top, which for my style (shred, speed metal) didn't provide such a great tone. The great thing about this guitar is that it features a neck-through design which allows players to reach the upper register very easily. The neck features 24 XJ frets on a bound rosewood fingerboard. The neck feels too thick in your palm and too thin from side to side though. The passive EMG-HZ are decent but an upgrade to active is much better. The Floyd Rose is nice but the cheaper licensed floyd that this guitar has causes lots of tuning problems. Another good feature is the push-pull coil tap on the tone knob which is a nice feature for single coil tones.