LTD M-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD M-50

Purchased from: B&C Music, Pittston, PA

Soundwise, this guitar is pretty good. Although it is a lower end guitar and has stock ESP pickups, it still puts out a great sound. I use it for punk rock music, and it suits what I use it for. It has very little background noise. While the guitar is made by a company that provides for many heavy metal guitarists and bassits, this guitar has a wide variety of sound. It works well for blues, straight out rock, metal, and punk.

For the style of music that I play (punk/rock), this guitar is well suited for it. But that doesnt't mean that this is just good for punk. This guitar would be fine for metal, thrash, emo, blues, or even jazz. What I love about this guitar is it's look. It isn't just another Strat copy that you find at every single music store you go into. The body and head both have a more aggressive apperance to them. The only thing that I don't like is that it only has 22 frets. Sometimes when I do improptu guitar leads while jamming, a 23rd and 24th fret would pay off. Besides the 24 frets, I really wish this had an active EQ. While I get along fine without it, the EQ would really help to get that "all out" sound. If you are looking for a relitively cheap guitar, but still want something that will be worth it, you should consider the LTD M-50. It was well worth every dollar I spent on it.

This guitar will definately withstand live playing (as long as guitar-smashing isn't included). The hardware seems like it will last for a while, although I could see myself replacing the pickups eventually. The strap buttons are rock solid. I would definately depend on this guitar for playing gigs.

I have no complaints about the action on this guitar. It seems that this is a quality guitar that was made with care. The pickups and action are both set up to near perfection. The top and bridge are both routed correctly. As far as I can tell, this guitar has no flaws. It works well for me and hopefully will for a long time.

This guitar was made in 2006 in Indonesia. It has 22 jumbo frets with a rosewood fingerboard. The body wood is Agathis and has a maple neck. It has a blueish grey satin finish on the body, black hardware, and a black satin finish on the front of the head. It has a body shape similar to a Strat, but the edges are rougher and there are several shape differences. It has a tele-style bridge. It has passive electronics. On the guitar, there is one volume knob, one tone knob, and a 3 way Switch. To pick up the sound, it has two stock ESP humbuckers. The tuners are non-locking standard ESP tuners. What I like about this guitar is that it is different from other guitars. While on a Stratocaster, the tuners are located pointing upwards, this guitar is the opposite. The tuners are in row facing downward. The only downside is that it only has 22 frets and has passive electronics.