LTD M-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD M-50

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Musique Point Com (France)

I mostly play metal through my little Roland Cube 20X, but the M-50 is very versatile: it can play mostly anything from blues to heaviest styles. It has a good sound, not noisy but very clear (yeah except on full gain that's obvious). I love it because you can easily play rhythm riffs and melodies without having to change completely your effects or amp settings, always having that clarity it the sound, even playing black metal or so. Still, If you can't play and you hope the noise can help you or if you want a strong low boost sound, turn the tone knob down and your playing gets really thick (best with a dirty fuzz effect).

Finally, I would say this is the perfect guitar for beginners, especially if you're plying heavy. For lead guitarists, it won't be enough after years f practicing because you may need a Floyd Rose or 24 frets, which the M-50 doesn't feature. For me, it's perfect because I mostly play the rhythm parts with my band and for lead parts except solos it suit me perfectly too. I practice a lot with this guitar and it hasnever disappointed me. You can do so many thins with this simple guitar it would be a sin just to buy anoher one and never to use it again. If it was stolen or lost, first I'd run amok till the guy takes his Bullet (no I'm kidding, I would buy the same one again it's the second part of myself). Personally, my wish is to get an LTD Alexi-600 but not because this guitar is too bad for me (more because of the awesome features and for the style), if I can't get the other one the M-50 is still the best guitar I played on so far. There is nothing this guitar hasn't but should have. It is exactly what I wanted to have before I started playing, it still suits me now and certainly will continue to. If you don't need the very best features all included in the same guitar and want a reliable instrument you will keep for a long time (and if you don't want to buy a new axe every few years), this is a very good choice. If you like heavy music, this is the perfect choice and it should suit you for any kind of playing.

This is definitely a good guitar for indoor or Live performance and it will surely last a long time (I dropped it once on the floor and NOTHING not a scratch or break). It's perfect for gigs as I played a few times Live in a small room wih a bunch of friends listening (and kicking you in their pogos, these weird people... ). The finish will surely last a long time (and maybe a second drop on the floor, sorry but I don't want to try).

As I got my M-50 I didn't know very much about guitars, it was my first one. Though I know now it was perfectly adjusted and I never have trouble playing: the guitar stays in tune even if you use your vibrato a lot or shred like a madman. Not one part of the hardware got oxidized in two years (very hard years for this axe).

The ESP LTD M-50 has a basswood body, a thin maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard with 22 XJ frets, the whole in a bolt-on construction. The "Strat" body has a satin black (or blue) finish. The bridge is Standard tremolo (but even without a Floyd Rose you can do crazy things). Hardware is chrome, the guitar has got passive ESP pickups (humbuckers, one at the bridge the other at the neck) Who already rock, but with an EMG-81 and EMG-85 configuration the sound really kills your neighbours. It has a volume and a tone knob, a 3-way toggle and ESP tuners (not locking).

Weybl Himself
    The arse of the M series. Should have gone one step better and gotten the M-100FM. HIM%(^, I doub't you have any idea what your on about. Do you even know what "passive" means? you mention it twice in two completely different contexts. If you're gonna pretend you know what your talking about, do it right. Second, it's an Agathis body, check the website, whoever told you it's poplar is wrong, ESP have never used poplar.
    drug.me.2.hell
    Marnz wrote: I think this guitar is awesome. I own one and its better than the EC-100 and the Viper-100 by far. This guitar isnt just fir beginners. Ive been playing for 2 years and its the second guitar i have owned and my guitar teachher said if i dop some EMG's into it will sound just like Kirks (Ive played Kirks from his aussie tour)
    This guitar is for beginners, Viper-100 is better than this crap.
    wbjackson517
    I figured out that I am going to buy this instrument after going through hundreds of lefty guitars. I have al so figured out if you read enough good reviews on ANY guitar, there will be bad ones no matter what it is. I have read bad reviews on Gibson Les Pauls. I am a beginner and I am not gonna drop any more than 200 bucks on my first guitar. After I learn to play, then I'll drop the cheddar. I do not think that any beginner should pay a ton of money for something they do not know they can play or even wanto play
    Marnz
    Megalomaniac46
    nope
    sewoo55
    a great guitar to start learning guitar with. however, i strongly discourage you from using a whammy bar on this guitar... i used it too much and the part where te whammy screws into the hole is broken and the bar broke in half... now i cant use the whammy again cuz its stuck in there...
    SwampAshSpecial
    As do I - I worte one of the reviews (Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 10, 2009) and I forgot to mention that!
    Deamontool
    Megalomaniac46 : I think this guitar is awesome. I own one and its better than the EC-100 and the Viper-100 by far. This guitar isnt just fir beginners. Ive been playing for 2 years and its the second guitar i have owned and my guitar teachher said if i dop some EMG's into it will sound just like Kirks (Ive played Kirks from his aussie tour) nope
    1201ZJ
    Weybl Himself wrote: HIM%(^ wrote: ive been playing guitar for about 4 years. again. this is not the only guitar i have. i have a custom esp, a mh 400, an ibanez rg, and a jackson rhodes. i know what passive means. i meant that its the classic tone that you get from a guitar with passive pickups. passive pickups-seymore duncan, dimarzio-active pickups-emg. i know what they are. i didnt even say what type of body it is. UG does that for you. maybe if you werent such an ignorant arse hole you would konw that. this was my first guitar, i didnt need to get a step up. i have recently bought that rectifier and put emgs in that guitar. i know what im talking about, do you? i suggest you never, ever, speak again you ignorant little prick. do some reasearch. and go stick a broom up your arse. All I said was that you used 'passive' in 2 different contexts, calm down. And even in your long-winded double response you missed the fact that the MAIN difference between passive and active pickups is the powered preamp, hence the 9-volt battery. And for the record I've been playing for 8 years and have played in a band that's opened for Frenzal Rhomb and Bodyjar (Australian) and have modified the hell out of every guitar I own, so yes, I DO know what I'm talking about. Now take a valium and chill.
    Hey you also said that him%(^ said that it was a poplar, but he never said that, the pre-filled info BEFORE his review says its poplar!
    marshallrocks
    POPLAR!
    HIM%(^ wrote: ^sir ive been playing guitar for 4 years. i konw what i am talking about. i know what passive means. i didnt even mean to say that it wasnt an agathis body. ug did it for me. this is not my only guitar as i said before. it was my FIRST guitar. i have a mh 400, an ibanez rg, and a jackson rhodes. do YOU know what your talking about. and when did i say it was popular.
    LeVl@th@n
    have been playing this one for over 3 yrs now..never gave up..excellent neck (bloody fast!)..have a question though...if one were to modify it any.. how would one go about it?..i mean how much of a difference will changing the pickups do??..i have been playing for around 6 years now..and am mostly into metal (pantera and the like)... thx and cheers!
    SilenceSettled
    "It doesn't have any fancy passive pickups or emgs" That was enough for my to give up reading..
    Blargaha
    undeadguitar wrote: just a question , how i chg my M-50 pickup batteries?
    You don't, since the pickups are passive, and therefore don't have any batteries. Despite HIM%(^ claiming that it doesn't have passive pickups or EMG:s. Then it logically should have no pickups, or another brand of actives of course. But it really has passives, and that shows that he maybe should stay of reviews until he has something intelligent to say
    yuvalg
    i have a m50, and am really like it, but it has a little problems: 1) an all esp ltd guitars, the sound knobs get loose- on mine too 2)you cant shred on this guitar 3) the PL is in the worst position possible except that, everything is fine on this guitar and i reccomend it for beginners. BUT, i have it for a very long time, its not in a good shape, and i want to replace it. i have a humble stock of 600$-800$, and i want something for rock and metal but not too much what should i buy? thanks if you help if not, may your current guitar turn into a crappy sekova
    yuvalg
    seokorn wrote: is it just mine. but mine has a black finish and it gets scracthed pretty easily
    sadl, no it itsnt just you
    ZaÐ
    Don t even worth 200$.Crappy pu and really not well builded..if someone thinks that by changing pu could have a cool guitar,is incredibly wrong
    HIM%(^
    Motukka
    pwned D: "ive been playing guitar for 4 years. i konw what i am talking about. " yes, and i have been playing 15 years. and there are many people who have played over 20 years or 30 years, if i were you, i would shut my **** up.
    HIM%(^
    Weybl Himself
    Leoshik
    Hehe ... You guys are getting a little too heated in this discussion. I have to agree with the fact that the M-50 is a splendid starter guitar. It is solid, reliable has good sound for the price and will rpetty much (i my experience) kick the shit out of any other guitar priced in the same range. I have been playing for 12 years casually. I bought this guitar because i wanted to try an ESP and not spend an amount of money i would regret. I realized that i mad a mistake by not going one or more steps up. However, now i have an EMG 60 and 81 in the mail and putting on some Dean Martin - Blue Steels on it. I think that with some customization work these babies could easily turn into their $700+ counterparts. But hey, that's just my opinion - nothing to pull my spleen out thru my nose over
    seokorn
    Gilbert93
    i definitely think this guitar has one of the best necks i have ever played
    zquizo4life
    I have one or at least what is left of it. I installed an Earvana nut, EMG's HZ4 in the neck and HZ4A (alnico in the bridge), changed the coil knobs for 2 coil tap to split the coils and now I have a guitar that if I look around for another with the same features will cost more than $700 dolars. Neck is awesome in this guitar and like someone said for someone who is starting this is a GREAT buy. The only thing that i would change is a widder neck for the ones like my self that have wide fingers beside that you can learn with it and modify it to have the axe you dream about. A guy named Kerry King once said that a guitar is just a piece of wood with electronics in it that produces the sound you like and if it doesn't you have to tweak it until you get what you want. Enough said!
    gravensuicide
    ^seokorn: its just the finish period, not the color. ive got the blue-ish/grey finish and my pick has scratched the hell out of it from the years of use it has gotten. Ive had it for 2 years and i bought it used, so im not sure how old it is, but my pickups seem to be dying out because its loosing its definition it had.
    warnerve666
    i baught this guitar becuase of the incredible price and i was in despret need of a back up guitar because of alot of gigs my band was about to do. this guitar is incredable for its price. the only downfall is the pickups and it doesnt have a floyd rose. although this is all about to change because im going to put emgs on it and possibly install a lisenced floyd rose on it once i have money to throw around. but hey itsw my opinion andi belieeve with a little tweaking this guitar will be beyond amazing. it will sit perfecctly fine with my ibanez rg350dx and my future razorback!
    yo yo
    man this guitar is gud! i bought it for 250 euros... and thats damn cheap. It sux when u dnt use a distortion pedal, but when u use one, u can make the sounds of Rhodes. I have a black version of M-50 and it rox my world. btw, My band bought it for me i use a "M-104 Distortion+" by MXR and it is simply amazing.
    Latin_Morello
    lol i got this for 50 bucks on music123 because of a typo i assume, i bought 2 and traded one in for an rp150... still an awesome guitar
    DrRock956
    M-50=Awesome. fastest neck ive ever played, awesome sound and edgy look, paid $180.
    interlefty
    it s a very good guitar for its price and actually better than more expensive ones.i remember jamming with my m-50 with a friend who just bought a fender stratocaster (mexican) and it put him in thoughts to have paid almost 3 times more for a guitar that doesnt sound as good.I have it for 7 years now and although i bought a gibson sg standard after that, i still play with my m-50 and sometimes i like it just as much.i think my next guitar will be some esp with emgs and floyd rose.if you re looking for a high quality cheap guitarthe m50 will do...and i'm preety surethat the rest of the cheap series from ltd should be the same