LTD M-50 review by ESP

ESP: LTD M-50

Price paid: € 80

Purchased from: Huuto.net

This guitar has been pretty much perfect for everything I've played. It suits metal and pop equally and the sound of the ESP passive pickups is very good. Sure, they're not DiMarzios or EMG's, but for the price they're excellent. There is also not much noise. Compared to other guitars in its price range, I can truly recommend the M-50.

I've been very happy with my M-50 and as I am now replacing it with another guitar (the new one has EMG 81/85's), I'm actually getting more money for it than I paid myself. It seems the M-50's are in high demand and easy to get sold, which is always something to keep in mind when you're buying a guitar. If my M-50 was stolen or lost and if I was searching for a guitar in its price range, I'd get it again. I'd recommend it for any beginner and a player searching for a good, affordable guitar.

I have no doubts the M-50 could be used for live playing as well. I'd never play without a backup, but if I did, I could depend on this guitar and I don't see it breaking or wearing off anytime soon. Also, the strap buttons are well-placed and support the guitar well when playing from standing position.

I never needed to adjust the pickups or action and the overal look & feel of this guitar is pretty much perfect. It feels solid, plays well, looks great and in no way seems cheap. The neck is fast for shredding and none of the selectors or other electronics were noisy or loose in my M-50.

I got my M-50 from an internet auction as used and for the low price I paid, I have to say this guitar is top quality. It feels very solid, sounds great and stays in tune. The bridge is your average Vintage Tremolo, which means changing strings is very quick and painless (compared to the FR tremolos out there), the pickups are ESP's own passive models and the body shape is a basic Strat copy. I can't speak of the included accessories, as I bought the guitar used and there was only a Gator gig bag included, which I think didn't even come with it by default.