LTD MH-1000FR review by ESP

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
ESP: LTD MH-1000FR

Price paid: A$ 1350

Purchased from: Icon Music

At first when I got this guitar I was blown away from the sound, the clarity and the electronic sound it had. After about a month or so the sound started sounding very dull and horrible. I figured this was just the batteries running out so I replaced them. It sounded better but still the tone from this guitar is far from what you'd expect when forking out big money. I now just find it lifeless even with the 18v mod. Also unlike my previous electrics which have never been worth more than $400, this guitar has no real feel to it, no real soul. Its kind of like when you ear people saying they picked up a Gibson and it just felt good. This guitar doesn't. Don't get me wrong the guitar is ABSOLUTELY silent, no feedback or background noise. Its just the tone and sound is not very desirable. I've found this guitar really doesn't suit any style of music I've tried; Country, metal, rock, blues, clean, jazz.

I usually play Heavy rock, sometimes going into metal. I also try to mix it up a bit and play blues/country sometimes. I've been playing fro 4 years now and this is my first good electric, in hind sight this guitar was probably not the right choice as when I bought it I hadn't learnt my lesson yet and bought without trying and ended up regretting it. Before buying this I wish I had really sought out different guitars to see which one suits my tone right, unfortunately I didn't. If it were stolen/lost I would most definitely not buy a new one, maybe going for an Ibanez, high range Epi or low range Gibby. I don't mean to be completely harsh on this guitar but I have to say, having only two control knobs is horrible, it can pretty much only do a crisp sound and a muddy sound.

This guitar will withstand a few live shows but personally I wouldn't gig without a backup, purely due to the floysd rose. It stays in tune most of the time but can easily be bumped and go out of tune while playing live. Also the jumbo frets make playing rhythm a nightmare.

The guitar factory set up was great, perfectly in tune and action, intonation set not quite right but easily adjustable.

It is a 2011 model I got around the end of 2011, as with most LTD's it's made in Japan. - 24 frets - 25.5 scale - Jumbo frets - Flamed maple top - Strat style body - EMG 81&85 (b&n) active pickups. - Floyd Rose 1000 series, pretty much just the OFR but not made in Germany. - Master control & Master Tone - Came with fitted case.

led_sevenfold
    This guy just doesn't like the emgs and trying to play country on esp, they are for metal, i play metal and esps have never done me wrong. you just brought the wrong guitar for what u play, go get a fender tele for blues, rock and country
    MaggaraMarine
    Floyd 1000 isn't a Licensed Floyd, it's a cheaper version of OFR (made in Korea) just like Floyd Rose Special. It's made by Floyd Rose. "The Floyd Rose 1000 Series is made in Korea. An excellent unit mirrored after the Original and is only available OEM." from Floyd Rose website. "Floyd Rose makes three versions of the Floyd Rose Original Style Tremolo: Floyd Rose Original Floyd Rose 1000 Series Floyd Rose Special Series" It's just the Korean version of OFR but still made by Floyd Rose. So it's not licensed.
    DesertMetal
    I have one of these, I think they're amazing. Really clear tone, feels great. compared to my ltd ninja-600 it has a fairly well rounded tone.
    givemeajackson
    i agree. had exactly the same issue with my schecter hellraiser special. the emg's are just lifeless, compressed and completely ignoring the guitars tone (fyi, i play a variety of progressive, black, melodic death, brutal death and technical death metal). if you like emg's you'll be fine, if you know how to change them and if the price of instrument + replacement pickups is acceptable, you'll be fine as well. the rest of the guitar is good quality if you can deal with the floyd, although there's too little wood imo. it's a shredders guitar, i know, but like 1 cm more body thickness would have improved the unplugged tone a lot without interfering with the playability a lot. if you kick out the emgs you'll notice that in the amplified sound as well
    Ich 666
    I had the same Issues with them, for me they just seem to be a way used by the manufacturers to hide crappy wood and bad constructions by using Pickups that sound the same regardless of the guitar.
    generalrook
    I agree, I have this guitar and it does everything under the sun with my line pod 500 petal. I shred, play pop, blues, and anything else I can find a decent preset for.
    Darth Crow
    I actually own one of these babies. It's an absolutely fantastic guitar, it really delivers for any kind of metal (with the right amp), it plays incredibly comfortable... I got it two years ago for 900 and I'm still in love with it. The FR always mean extra trouble when setting it up, of course, but when it IS properly set up, you only have to fine tune like once in a month or so (with normal FR usage). I definately recommend it!