LTD MH-1000FR review by ESP

ESP: LTD MH-1000FR

Price paid: A$ 1400

Purchased from: Local Music store

I play metal, and this guitar is metal. It is great for my style, it probably wouldn't suit country or soft rock but It is VERY good at what it is intended to do. I'm playing it through a Marshall stack and the wall of sound produced from it is amazing, can't beat it. Any noise experienced would come from the amp or cable, the EMG's are dead silent. I've used them direct into a computer and found there was no background noise at all. Without the 18V mod it isn't as good doing a natural rock kind of sound but once the 18V mod is done it is very versatile. I would have done the 27V mod but I read that it doesn't do much. The neck pup does heavy chords really well and is surprisingly good for solos, but of course it can't beat the ultimate shred machine, that is the EMG 81 bridge pickup. It lives up to the reputation it has built. It shred very similarly to most modern metal bands, and the power chords it does are very akin to the sound of Metallica.

I play metal, this guitar is exactly that. I've been playing five years and own a few other guitars, none like this. If it were stolen I would definitely buy a new guitar, and some battery packs for the 18V mod! I highly recommend anyone who has this guitar to do the 18V mod, it helps a lot. I love the floyd rose on this guitar, it dive bombs live Eddy Van Halen on roids. I was a bit sketchy on the weight of it since I'm used to playing a Fender Squier but I've since found its a lot lighter than most other guitars. I compared it to other EMG fitted guitars but I found this was the one with everything I wanted, and it looked awesome too! I wish it had come with a hardcase like Gibson's but I didn't really mind paying the extra bucks for one, they are definitely necessary and worth it.

This guitar will definitely withstand live playing, whether you would risk taking it on stage is a different question. The hardware will definitely last, probably be best idea to take a few spare batteries to a gig just in case the EMG's run out. The strap buttons were very solid, I would recommend a locking strap for live gigs but for home use, the buttons were perfect. The finish will last, it is very smooth to touch and is very durable. I could gig without a backup but I probably wouldn't since I just would never do that with any guitar.

The factory setup was adequate but as with all Floyd Roses, it needed a shop setup. After the shop setup, it stayed in tune surprisingly long it would stay in perfect pitch for weeks on end! The bridge pickup needed raising but the neck pickup was fine. The electronics were perfectly set, inside it had all the cables neatly tied up. It took a while to get used to the Jumbo frets but in the end they turned out good.

It was a 2011 model with 24 easily accessible extra jumbo frets. Has a beautiful Quilted maple top. Floyd Rose 1000 series. EMG Active pickups. Master volume and master tone. Had to buy Hardcase separately.