LTD MH-1000NT Deluxe review by ESP

ESP: LTD MH-1000NT Deluxe

Price paid: A$ 730

Purchased from: eBay

I'll start off by saying that this guitar is monstrous. I play heavy music in the style of Veil Of Maya, Within The Ruins, Parkway Drive, Amon Amarth, Born Of Osiris, The Faceless, Periphery (I think you get the idea), to soft bands such as Dance Gavin Dance, Hail The Sun, Of Machines and A Lot Like Birds; allow me to say that this guitar suits it all. I'm playing through a Randall RG100G3 with a TS9 in the front and I can achieve a wide array of tones from this guitar. The JB/'59 set is one of the most versatile pickup combinations out there and I can (admittedly, with some effort) achieve crushing tones, due in part to the mahogany body and set-neck construction. The guitar is extremely playable; the neck feels like a Fender neck does, only a smidge rounder. I have very few gripes with this guitar, even after having played Ibanez Prestiges, Schecters, Fenders, Jacksons, Sterlings, you name it. I love this guitar above all others.

This guitar means a lot to me and, even as a player of only two years, I believe that I won't be parting with this guitar for as long as I play. I love this guitar for its lightweight design, versatile array of sounds and player-friendly design. My gripe with the painted neck aside, this guitar has some great specifications for its price tag. The LTD Deluxe series will measure up to any guitar in its price range and likely supersede it. The MH-1000 is a reliable, versatile workhorse that will appease even the pickiest of players. Personally, I don't see how anybody could ever be disappointed with buying this guitar. Fully realising that this is a production-quality, Korean-made guitar, I'm willing to give it a 9, taking the price tag into account. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

I believe that I would have to do something pretty bloody stupid to damage this thing. The strap buttons are solid, but I replaced them with DiMarzio Cliplocks for added safety. I have used this guitar at a gig without a backup (it was my only guitar at the time, aha) and it was totally dependable. The hardware on this guitar is, I believe, as good as any Japanese-made ESP. I say this with full confidence, having played an Eclipse-II and Horizon NT-II for extended periods of time. Given the chance, I would take an ESP over an LTD, but the Deluxe series is truly in a similar league.

I bought this guitar almost a year ago and, though I'm not an overly experienced player, I spend a good deal of time reading about guitars and play whenever the opportunity presents itself. If I remember correctly, the guitar was playable out of the box, but it needed some heavier strings and a good setup. The guitar itself was pretty much flawless, however. I put this guitar in drop C for a while and used 11-54s, which I had to widen the hole in the nut where the low C would sit to fit. I doubt many other people had that problem, though. A local guitar store stocked the exact same MH-1000NT (with the blue and everything) and I looked the brand new one over for any inconsistencies that my guitar may or may not share and they were both exactly the same, which pleased me. Apart from some minor corrosion of the metal locking tuners and knobs, this guitar has stayed in great shape, even through the ten or so gigs I've played with it.

Features: - Set-Thru Construction - 25.5" Scale - Mahogany Body - Quilted Maple Top - Maple Neck - Rosewood Fingerboard - 42mm Standard Nut - Thin U Neck Contour - 24 XJ Frets - Black Nickel Hardware - LTD Locking Tuners - Tonepros Locking TOM Bridge - Seymour Duncan JB (B) / '59 (N) p.u. - Finish: STB (See Thru Blue) - Master Volume - 5-Way Ultraswitch - Master Tone The features of this guitar are above standard for what I paid for it; where I live, anybody would be hard-pressed to find a Korean-made guitar with Duncans for less than $1000. The guitar did not come with a case, so I purchased an ESP one for it after I received it. The quality of the rosewood fretboard is excellent and (this may just be preference), I prefer it to the feel of my recently-acquired AW-7 with its ebony fretboard. The only downside to this guitar, in my opinion, is the lack of a case and the fact that the neck is painted.