LTD MH-100QMNT review by ESP

ESP: LTD MH-100QMNT

Price paid: C$ 225

Purchased from: Private seller

I mostly play metal and other heavy rhythm music. The stock pickups, while nothing amazing, aren't actually too bad for a more beginner level player, but, for more advanced players I recommend replacing them. I play this guitar through a couple amps, a Marshall Valvestate 8040, Marshall MG30 (I know, not amazing LOL but I like the cleans) and an Orange Micro-Terror. All my amps run into a 100 watt 1x12 cab that I wired. The guitar, to me, is more on the bright side with its tone which I like but I will say that the tone is not quite how I like it but very decent for a guitar of this price range. I would recommend this guitar mostly as a heavy metal type guitar or hard rock, but, you will find that it plays quite nicely with nice clear clean tones.

Overall I have to say that I really like this guitar. Since I play a lot of metal, this guitar suits my style pretty well but definitely plays better with replaced pickups. If this guitar were stolen/lost I would definitely consider buying another one because I have always found that ESP/LTD guitars show good quality for a low price point compared to other brands. This guitar would make a great backup guitar or to keep around the house for practice. The action and setup is nice enough that, with a little upgrade, you could use it as a great recording guitar. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

I no longer play live but I would say that this guitar is built well enough to gig with. The hardware is decent on the exterior but if you are someone who like to roll off your volume while playing, I would recommend replacing the volume and tone pots with better ones. The strap buttons that come stock are nice and wide, they hold your strap on fairly well but if you plan on playing live with it, then do yourself a favor and put strap locks on! I could rely on this guitar without a backup but only time can tell if that would be a good choice. The finish on this guitar seems good, like it will last but over time it can start to age and show wear on the finish, which I love!

I bought this guitar pre-owned so I do not know how it was set up out of box, but, I have owned 4 or 5 other ESP guitars and they all came surprisingly well set up, needing little adjustment from me. The only thing I have ALWAYS needed to adjust on them is the pickups, just because I like mine set at specific heights. The guitar looks amazing with the trans-red finish over the quilt maple veneer (this is what drew me to this guitar), even second-hand this guitar had no noticeable flaws. Overall a well set up and beautiful guitar.

My MH-100QMNT is a 2012 made in Indonesia. It is a 24 fret, 25.5" scale with (what ESP call) XJ frets and a rosewood fingerboard. The guitar has a basswood body with a Quilted-maple veneer on top, with a trans-red finish. The body is a curve-top strat/superstrat style and a nice thin-U neck shape. TOM string-through bridge. The stock pickups are good for a beginner player or even just for some softer playing styles, but, they aren't anything amazing for heavier styles of playing in my opinion, So, I replaced the stock pickups with a DiMarzio 30th Anniversary PAF in the bridge and a DiMarzio Evolution in the neck. The guitar has only 1 volume and 1 tone with a 3-way toggle switch (nothing special), and the tuners are just the stock ESP-brand tuners (which actually aren't too bad). Features are good for a "low-end" ESP/LTD brand.

vindibona1
    Got one of these for my daughter. Holy crap! I own a customized LP Custom, a MIM Strat and this thing can hold its own with both! We played MANY guitars in the store and had to try a Fender Eric Clapton Signature to find something *remotely* better. I find this guitar SO easy to play. I was stunned at how good the stock pickups are right out of the box. If she asked me to trade my MIM Strat (where its had a fret and nut job) I think I'd take her up on it in a second. This LTD was set up PERFECTLY. Needs nothing. As for the guy that commented that no guitar gets 10 out of 10... Ok... 9.8. It doesn't have TWO tone knobs. To get a superior guitar for the price of a pair of Seymour Duncans is almost unbelievable. All I can do when I play her guitar is grin.
    Bobby1959
    Hi Everybody ; Well I got a Jackson stealth ( I ordered from GC, ) Looked good but the neck and trem were trashed. I traded it for one of these. (LTD MH 1000 MNT) Now I'm 55 I've been playing since I was 18 I have 3 Les Pauls , 3 Fling v's , an Explorer, or 5 Strats . 3 Charvel model series 3's and a model 1. 4 Jacksons,2 PRS And a few others. ( kind of prefer the Charvels and Jacksons because I have big hands and the necks are beter for big hands. )I play 70's and 80's metal and that's what they were built for. I've seen brand new Gibsons come out with glue all over them , bad pots, bad paint jobs and nuts cut wrong. Any way buying any guitar now days is a crap shoot. Enough ranting. I got this LTD MH1000MNT today. Seens to be put together really well. I'll put an invader pickup in the bridge pos. and change the pots. The neck is Great for my gorilla hands lol I think it will be a good guitar for playing at home and practice. Have a nice day. Bobby
    AlvinX13
    Hey guys check this video out my band My Shadows Burn demo Im playing an ESP Ltd mh-100qmnt amber sunburst